• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I guess we newbies need to listen..lol

K

karenfromcali

So I've been chatting to a pilgrim who has been helping me put together my pack and list with great suggestions. The one thing I was having a difficult time with was the recommendation of a smaller pack. I have already downsized from an 80 L Kelty Cayote to a 52 L REI Flash. But his recommendation was smaller. But I had a death grip on my 52L. There is no way I could go smaller and have everything I would need for 6 weeks back packing trip!! Still..I went to REI yesterday and saw an Osprey Talon 33 L. So I PM him and he says perfect! Hmm...well I can always bring it back I figure. Well wadda ya know! Not only does the Talon fit all my gear but there is plenty of room to spare!!!! And it only weighs 1 lb 10 ounces!!
I'm beginning to think i'm finally getting the hang of this. If all else fails....lol...listen to those who know..:rolleyes:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Happy packing and going very light. It is surprising just how little you will need. I worked on the principle of "one on one off" in the pack. I too was worried about this and eventually went for an Osprey Kestrel 38L. It was perfect for me. I even (with much amusement from my family took a pair of charcoal grey Crocs to wear after my shower each day. They were ultra light and if it was cool in the evening when I went out I just put on my inner socks. No one really notices and besides who cares.
Yep pack light and I am sure you will enjoy your journey.

PS. When I started out from SJPD I did so with a fellow whose backpack was too big and too heavy. Whilst encouragement was given to perhaps ditch some of the gear or at least send some of it ahead, this did not occur. Sadly it all became too heavy and the battle with it all too much and the journey ended after four days and he returned home.

PPS. Next time I think that I will take a smaller pack than my first one.
Cheers and buen camino.

Happy packing and going very light. It is surprising just how little you will need. I worked on the principle of "one on one off" in the pack. I too was worried about this and eventually went for an Osprey Kestrel 38L. It was perfect for me. I even (with much amusement from my family took a pair of charcoal grey Crocs to wear after my shower each day. They were ultra light and if it was cool in the evening when I went out I just put on my inner socks. No one really notices and besides who cares.
Yep pack light and I am sure you will enjoy your journey.

PS. When I started out from SJPD I did so with a fellow whose backpack was too big and too heavy. Whilst encouragement was given to perhaps ditch some of the gear or at least send some of it ahead, this did not occur. Sadly it all became too heavy and the battle with it all too much and the journey ended after four days and he returned home.

PPS. Next time I think that I will take a smaller pack than my first one.
Cheers and buen camino.

Yes. my concern has been that I would take to much stuff and end up injured or something. I feel much happier now as I'm narrowing down my choices and elimination things I felt 'I could not live without'. It's actually quite liberating!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes. my concern has been that I would take to much stuff and end up injured or something. I feel much happier now as I'm narrowing down my choices and elimination things I felt 'I could not live without'. It's actually quite liberating!

It sure is Karen. On the morning of my flight across the world I weighed my backpack and panicked, it was 7.5kg - it was too heavy I said to my family. I pulled everything out again and then ditched some more bits and pieces. I never regretted doing so, and you know what, I would never have used them. (I did have an extra vey small tube of toothpaste but also threw it out at home.) Along the way there are plenty of places that you can buy virtually anything that you might need. Just drop into a little supermarket or pharmacy and it is all there. And besides even in these small ways you are helping the local economy. I still had a piece of clothing i never used and I walked in snow, on ice and through mud. I thought I would be cold but I was never cold walking. That's me but it may not be you.
Cheers.

Hi Karen

Unless you are six foot tall, weigh 200 lbs and you are capable of growing a beard, then I would go with the smaller pack.

In other words your existing pack, as far as the camino is concerned, is really a pack for a man.
If you planning to back country hiking carrying a week's worth of supply then this is another story.
But this is the camino and you will be walking for 4-5 weeks, so go light as possible.

This said, I carry a 50 litre pack and I do weigh nearly 200 lbs and I am over six foot but I am glutton for punishment.

Avoid the pain and go with the lighter and smaller pack

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Karen

Unless you are six foot tall, weigh 200 lbs and you are capable of growing a beard, then I would go with the smaller pack.

Well I'm REALLY hoping I'm not going to be growing a beard any time soon! lol. I actually love the smaller pack so will go with that one :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Karen
I just completed part 1 of my Camino StJPdP to Burgos with a Talon 33 and was very happy with it. There are some things I will be changing for Part 2 next year but not my pack. I felt the weight for a couple of days as I had not had a chance to train as much as I'd have liked but thats exactly why I chose to go to the Camino for my Annual Leave this year so I could learn for my 4 week trek next year. Every bit of advice on the forum is correct! Shed EVERY gram you can before you go! The Talon 33 is one of the lightest packs at under a kg so you are already ahead! Buen Camino Karen you will love it, it's every bit as wonderful as I'd hoped. PM if you have any specific questions?
Sarah

One of the things I learned while packing for the Camino is that I don't need to think I leave for many weeks. If there is anything in it which I don't expect to use in 3 days I throw it out. And as Cejanus wrote, everything you still might need you can buy on the Camino. Having said that, every year I still find myself in a post office on the 3th day of my camino sending things home of to SdC, it is becoming traditional thing to do...

52 is indeed a size for taking all stuff for camping & cooking, unless you plan that it is too big for Camino. On the other hand, I hate to stuff in all my gear every morning in a small backpack and also like to leave space for food I buy on the way. Most backpacks you can first pack and the make them smaller with cords at the side, so does the Talon as well. I chose to buy a bigger size, the extra weight for a bigger pack is like 0,1 or 0,2 kg, for me it is worth it. I don't hope to confuse you too much about the size again. with my experience...
Osprey is a great choice anyway!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One of the things I learned while packing for the camino is that I don't need to think I leave for many weeks. If there is anything in it which I don't expect to use in 3 days I throw it out. And as Cejanus wrote, everything you still might need you van buy on the camino. Havind said that, every year I still find myself in a postoffice sending things home of to SdC, it is becoming traditional thing to do...

52 is indeed a size for taking all stuff for camping & cooking. I hate to stuff in all my gear every morning in a small backpack and also like to leave space for food I buy on the way. Most backpacks you can first pack and the make them smaller with cords at the side. The extra weight for a bigger pack is like 0,1 or 0,2 kg, for me it is worth it. I dont hope to confuse you too much about the size again. with my experience... Osprey is a great choice!

What I also found in doing a repack and tossing things out was that I started to do the same thing with what was in my mind. It was so refreshing and an unburdening. I was amazed at how I had allowed my whole self to become cluttered with all that i did not need. Thus another reason for my walking the Camino. Yep - lighten-up in all areas!!
Buen camino

I have now walked three caminos with my Osprey Talon 33. It is wonderful and fits so well I can almost forget about it after a few days. One regret, It was only available in blue when I got it, but recently I saw they had brought it out in purple and now red.......oh, I am SO tempted!! Still, you can't see it when you're carrying it I guess...

The other thing is that I wish the pockets on the front hip strap were bigger and waterproof. They are so useful, but everything gets very soggy in the rain. If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear it.

I also have walked 3 caminos with the Osprey Talon 33 and love it! I put things into little plastic bags and then into the pockets on the hip straps.
Mine is currently in the freezer de- bugging, before it goes into the washing machine. Then it will be ready to use all over again:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just wish the Talon and other very light bags fit my extra short torso! I measure at a whopping 15" torso and everything is too long. I have a Lowe Centro synched as far down as it will go. I need to try a Mammut Crea. Everything else any lighter are way to large. Totally bummed.

I never cease to be amazed at the achievement of pilgrims over the centuries. We ( I ! ) obsess about weight, materials, technology, footwear, socks, liner socks, foot lubricant....
Can you imagine what pilgrims in the C13th would make of this .

Last edited:
ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just finished the St Jean to Burgos section last week. I took the Osprey Talon 44 this year and last year when I finished the Leon to Santiago and dont regret it. It has abit more room than the 33 which meant that it was nice to buy some stuff at the end. My pack was only half full at best and it was very light even with the water it was less than 7kgs. My walking partner took the Osprey Talon 33 and it was way too snug. There was no room for anything else and sometimes when she repacked, she found that she didnt have enough room. I would go for the 44 just for abit more comfort.

I never cease to be amazed at the achievement of pilgrims over the centuries. We ( I ! ) obsess about weight, materials, technology, footwear, socks, liner socks, foot lubricant....
Can you imagine pilgrims in the C13th would make of this .

Must like us they probably discussed the merits of different sandals, or should you just go barefoot, the quality of the wool used to make their robes, etc.

Since few could read or write, I doubt guidebooks were big on the list of discussion items.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So do I. It is larger than I really need, however I like to take a tent and sleeping mat. Yes I know, neither are necessary on the Camino Frances, but I don't just do the Camino Frances.

I see that you are one serious camino junkie
:)

Rome to Santiago ? I am impressed!

Good job, Karen. I met a guy who is carrying a pack that weighs 10 pounds EMPTY. I can't say I understand that but to each their own. I've met many people whom are doing a Camino as part of a longer journey so they have much larger and heavier packs but I prefer starting with something that's lightweight to start with.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am one of those who like a bigger pack so that I can carry things like bread and croissants in it and when I take them out they still have recognisable shape, and the things like tomatoes don't turn into sauce! Just because my Aarn pack is bigger than the Osprey it doesn't mean that I have to fill it - though I do when it is time to leave - with guide books ready for the next Camino! I have an aversion to things dangling (like bags of bread etc). A little self control works wonders and I generally walk with a pack that is only about two thirds full. Janet

I am one of those who like a bigger pack so that I can carry things like bread and croissants in it and when I take them out they still have recognisable shape, and the things like tomatoes don't turn into sauce! Just because my Aarn pack is bigger than the Osprey it doesn't mean that I have to fill it - though I do when it is time to leave - with guide books ready for the next Camino! I have an aversion to things dangling (like bags of bread etc). A little self control works wonders and I generally walk with a pack that is only about two thirds full. Janet

Self... control? Hmm Please...explain these strange words to me. They are not known in the language of my people! :confused:

I carried a 38l Gregory...with water (6lbs) it weighed right around 20 lbs. that didn't fit the prescribed formula of 10% of my body weight! but the Gregory was the best fit for me ( I tried on A LOT of packs!) Following the REI expert's advice that comfort should be your #1 priority was a GREAT decision: I had no problems and really loved my pack...had a little extra room for food. I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND using a water bladder (I had a platypus and loved it). Much easier to stay hydrated when you don't have to be constantly reaching for water bottles! Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I remember talking to fellow pilgrim who had a too heavy pack and knees becoming incapacitated. She said she was really really tired of carrying all the weight.

Turned out she had probably ten or twelve pounds of toiletries. I showed her my one small bar of shampoo soap..i have thick, longish hair, and it worked fine..and one tiny plastic bottle of toothpowder, that was it for my toiletries. Then we talked about her heavy bottle of conditioner...and i was like, why do you need that? She said her short hair dreads if she doesn't use it. Ok. Why carry deodorant? Cuz I always use it. Ok . What about those heavy jars of moisturizer? I gotta have that...ok etc etc etc. So at the end, she couldn't part with anything, I had to assume she just wanted to suffer. She did a lot of taxi-ing and jaco tran. Fair enough, I have absolutely no problem with that, I just don't like being engaged in a conversation about how bad something is, when that person doesn't want to do anything about it.

I really think the camino is pure magic for pointing out what we hold onto, it provides a way to train ourselves to let stuff go, if we are open.

Turns out, I had a ton of psychological weight to let go of; which in a way, is much harder to leave behind than stuff stuff. I was great and groovy with my 8 pound pack, but lousy on the storehouse of weightless burdens I still am chipping away at. Like my fellow pilgrim, I can come up with excuses ad nauseum for retaining all the guilt, remorse, regret, and fear-based burdens I carry.

The Camino is sublime for every level and phase of this work!

I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND using a water bladder (I had a platypus and loved it). Much easier to stay hydrated when you don't have to be constantly reaching for water bottles!

It is interesting to see the contrary views we all hold, because I have a different system that I use. I have been to too many scout jamborees where a whole troop has had to be quarantined because of poor hygiene and one of those causes was pop top water bottles and the ability to keep them clean. I don't carry a platypus because I see that as a possible way to get sick if it is not kept clean (especially in the summer time). It is harder to keep a narrow tube clean, like on the hydration units, than a wide necked water bottle. There are several ways to keep a water bottle handy. I have, in the past, had a little holder attached to my hip belt which has meant that my water bottle has been easy to drink from, and to fill, at any time. Because I have a new Aarn pack with front balance poskets I will change my system next time. I plan to carry a water bottle in one of the balance pocket. I know that, from experience, I will have to remind myself to drink on my next camino, it being a winter one - one tends to not feel the need to drink as frequently when it is raining and cold. Janet

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So I've been chatting to a pilgrim who has been helping me put together my pack and list with great suggestions. The one thing I was having a difficult time with was the recommendation of a smaller pack. I have already downsized from an 80 L Kelty Cayote to a 52 L REI Flash. But his recommendation was smaller. But I had a death grip on my 52L. There is no way I could go smaller and have everything I would need for 6 weeks back packing trip!! Still..I went to REI yesterday and saw an Osprey Talon 33 L. So I PM him and he says perfect! Hmm...well I can always bring it back I figure. Well wadda ya know! Not only does the Talon fit all my gear but there is plenty of room to spare!!!! And it only weighs 1 lb 10 ounces!!
I'm beginning to think i'm finally getting the hang of this. If all else fails....lol...listen to those who know..:rolleyes:
Remember that every ounce in the morning feels like a lb. in the afternoon :). Seriously, keep it light and manageable. You'll be glad you did.
Buen Camino!

An informal casual survey of peregrinos that I walked behind this year showed that the most common pack size was between 30L and 40L. After several caminos I am now happy with my pack weight of 6 kgs including water but could make it less if I wanted to. It goes into a 22L Deuter backpack which admittedly is a bit crowded, so next time I would use a 26 or 28 L. The Deuter packs are German and I consider the best, but are built to last a lifetime so my 22L pack weighs 1kg.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
hello karen,

you got the rucksack just right, now toss out anything that you don't need. if you have to ask yourself the question, do i need this? the answer is no. also remember a litre of water weighs 1 kilo. you will be carrying most likely at least 1 1/2 kilos of water and extra weight for provision. this will most likely add on 2 kilos.

i have met many young american peregrinos at the end of their caminos in santiago at my albergue toting 10-12 kilos of rucksack weight with the result that many of them arrived wirh blisters and have pains in their joints. and so keep your weight light.

good luck and hope to see you in santiago. god bless.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesnā€™t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; Iā€™m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) Iā€™ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Hereā€™s my final packing list (excluding basic...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back