• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I would like to start a Blog for my Camino.

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis SJPDP-SDC (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) , Norte 2018
Pilgrim Office 2018, Hospitalero Acebo 2019
I would like to start a Blog for my Camino. Hints on how and where to do this? I have never done a blog so it is all new to me. Appreciate suggestions like where to go to get one and all the other questions I am too new to know to ask. I would like to post pics on it as well.......

Not starting my Camino until May 2014 but thought that I would do some practice now so I am set and ready to go.
Thanks.
Ed

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You could try Blogger.

It's Google's free blogging service and has a simple mobile App for updating it "on the go".

I'm sure others on here will have their preferred blog provider too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used Wordpress. Very intuitive. Give it a try. Basic level free, but you can upgrade. A fabulous depository for your memories. Practice well before you start. There is a great difference between posting from home and posting from the camino.
Buen camino
.....Camino Frances with my daughter: http://magwood.wordpress.com

I am thinking about doing a blog also...the thing that makes me hesitate is do I want to take my smart phone with me. I've had Wordpress recommended to me. So, I may try it. If you start one, Ed, share which site you use and how it works for you. I'll be interested.

Maybe we'll meet up along the way. I'm starting May 14th and if I remember correctly, you said you will start later? But I will be walking at a slower pace, so you'll most likely catch up and pass me.

Buen Camino...Patty

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used WordPress, but yes, you need to get it up and running beforehand, and make sure you're familiar with all it's quirks. I don't think you need to get the premium version - the Twenty Thirteen theme is free, and it's fine.

I used Blogsy, a paid app for my iPad, which made posting each day much easier. For photos I got a SD card adapter for my iPad, and downloaded directly onto the device. Posting photos then into Blogsy, then posting onto the blog on Word Press was very easy.

But again, I'd emphasise that you practice beforehand - and not at the last minute either.

I started off with an audience of just 25, and got to about 2500 daily followers during the pilgrimage. And am now approaching 150,000 page views. My blog is in my signature below if you're interested.

Bill

Magwood, I love your blog. I will be more than happy to make a blog like that. Is it the basic level or is it upgraded?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Try WordPress or Blogger,both are easy to use. I'm not a tekkie but have done www.Sixwheeler.net on WordPress. Have a look.

Either will allow you to compose off line on a smartphone and post when you have WiFi, also I used the phone to take photos just for the blog.

I also found my blog usefully replaced keeping a separate journal so win:win for me.

Good Luck.
Ultrëia

We find Blogger easier to set up and use than when Terry tried Wordpress lately. The only small problem we have found is that we had to bookmark the 'log-in' page because it suddenly disappeared from our blogs and we don't stay logged in to any sites permanently. It is also fairly easy to change the appearance of the blog if you use a 'simple' template, and it even makes your mobile blog for you.

Our blogs here are all on Blogger.
Buen Camino and happy blogging

Magwood, I love your blog. I will be more than happy to make a blog like that. Is it the basic level or is it upgraded?

Glad you like my blog. I used the 'Twenty Ten' theme with a cost of $30 (which is an annual cost, so best avoided). I think there is a fair selection of free themes. It took me a while to set it up how I wanted it, but I do tend to fiddle and tweak more than most!

My main reason for writing it was by way of keeping a journal. I have an awful memory and knew I would forget loads of details if I didn't write about them. I often 'dip in' to the blog to re-live a couple of random days.

I only ever expected a few friends and family members to look at it and was amazed when people I didn't know took an interest, and I have had some lovely comments from people planning their camino saying it has been useful. I continue to write an occasional post about life here in southern Spain and shall most definitely post every day from my next camino adventure.

I tend to write directly into the wordpress website but I do have the 'blogsy' app which I shall get more familiar with before my next camino. I treated myself to an iPad mini to write my blog on the camino, which I also used as a camera. I would have found it difficult to use a phone to blog, but a lot of people are happy using a phone. And although the iPad photos were absolutely fine I did really miss a camera when I wanted to zoom in on a subject. I shall probably buy a small Bluetooth enabled camera for my next trip.

Good luck and enjoy you planning.

.....Camino Frances with my daughter: http://magwood.wordpress.com

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I use Wordpress too. Never had a problem. Found it easy to use. Check out their free themes and see if one appeals.

You can practice by posting about your preparations for the big walk. Writing about it ahead of time is almost as fun as taking the trip. Maybe you could approach some other newbies and develop a blogging circle.

Well, well, well....Lots of GREAT advice!!! Thank all of you for taking the time here to post your thoughts!!

I shall give both blogs a go at it and then decide which one i settle on. In the meantime, I will keep everyone posted on this thread how I am doing. Plan to get started this weekend!

Cheers. Ed

I would like to start a Blog for my Camino. Hints on how and where to do this? I have never done a blog so it is all new to me. Appreciate suggestions like where to go to get one and all the other questions I am too new to know to ask. I would like to post pics on it as well.......

Not starting my Camino until May 2014 but thought that I would do some practice now so I am set and ready to go.
Thanks.
Ed
I used Blogger on my mini iPad with a Sony Cyber shot point & shoot with wi-fi - transfered my photos to the iPad daily - no wires or internet needed, then dropped my photos into the blog
don't think my fat fingers would have enjoyed blogging on my IPhone

http://www.blogger.com/home

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyber-s...=7594173&st=categoryid$abcat0401001&cp=1&lp=3

buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am thinking about doing a blog also...the thing that makes me hesitate is do I want to take my smart phone with me. I've had Wordpress recommended to me. So, I may try it. If you start one, Ed, share which site you use and how it works for you. I'll be interested.

Maybe we'll meet up along the way. I'm starting May 14th and if I remember correctly, you said you will start later? But I will be walking at a slower pace, so you'll most likely catch up and pass me.

Buen Camino...Patty
I used Blogger on my mini iPad with a Sony Cyber shot point & shoot with wi-fi - transfered my photos to the iPad daily - no wires or internet needed, then dropped my photos into the blog

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyber-s...=7594173&st=categoryid$abcat0401001&cp=1&lp=3

Hmmmm, I also plan to use a wifi (Wee fee) camera but up load the pics to my iphone. I really do not want to carry an Ipad for the Weight......Maybe I need to though?

UPDATE! I tried to create a wordpress log in account and the site just spins and spins and will not let me create an account. Tried it with Chrome and IE browser.....

Omen???

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Mine is wordpress and I'm new to this, too. For me, practice would have been a good idea since I'm still doing daft things like pressing "publish" too soon and I'm over-widgeted and have forgotten what does what. I get untidy very quickly, like my study or my rucksack.

I came across some advice today, basically this :
  1. Be concise - about 600 words
  2. Use stunning photos, especially for the front image.
  3. One theme or two at the most.
  4. No clichés, say everything in a fresh way.
  5. Have a clear aim. What do you want to say and to whom?
I score 1/5 on my latest post.

So starting on May 14th gives you time to practice and put it in your signature here.

UPDATE! I tried to create a wordpress log in account and the site just spins and spins and will not let me create an account. Tried it with Chrome and IE browser.....

Omen???
I can't recall how I started wordress - I think it came with my hosting service. But there is some difference between WORDPRESS.ORG and WORDPRESS.COM,

Went back in and tried one last time and I am in and starting a blog on wordpress.......Just been playing around for now but will post link once my skills mature a bit. Thx everyone again!!
Ed

Congratulations, a little perseverance goes a long way!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I know I'm late responding, but Trailjournal.com is a very effective way of journaling your pilgrimage. It even has a section for Camino de Santiago. It is the journaling blog for lots of folks doing lots of trails. Take a look at it...
Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back