• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A day on my Camino…

DOver412

Time of past OR future Camino
2023- Camino Madrid, 2024- Camino Olvidado
How do I explain it to make those I love understand?

When I walked my first Camino, last year, I chose not to take photos or keep a journal of my journey. Certain aspects and experiences will always remain very private, shared only with a very few. I learned a lot on that walk… about me, the world and my place in it and who and what I want to be, in the life after that Camino. And, while there were so many days that were filled with the experiences that made that journey such a wonderful, life-altering event, when I DO talk with loved ones about my journey, there is one day that always rises above all the others.

It was well into the journey… because I didn’t keep a journal, I don’t know the exact date or even the exact location. It was somewhere along the VDLP. It was the second day of two days of nearly continuous rain. My plans for keeping dry had failed and everything I owned was soaked. My clothes were drenched. My shoes… my spare pair, were saturated. I had just navigated a section of road made into a stream by the pouring rain. I paused and looked into the distance at the clouds that bore no sign of breaking. Rain ran from the bill of my hat in a steady stream.
I should have been miserable.

But I’ll never forget the feeling of euphoria that overwhelmed me. I can’t explain the peace that I felt. I remember quietly laughing at the adsurdity of the situation. At that moment, I had achieved what Echart Toll calls ‘living in the now’. I didn’t think of the road behind… I didn’t think of kilometres that awaited ahead. The place I was… the road and rain were the world and all that I considered.
In the days and months since I made that walk, I’ve tried to explain how, at that moment, I could be completely happy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And therein lies the limits of our spoken and written language; it is never sufficient to explain our true emotions and experiences - they can generally only be accurately felt. Although some clever, passionate and articulate people come close sometimes.

Your experience sounds wonderful, and just goes to show how sometimes these moments are hidden in the most unlikely of places if only we are open enough to them.

@DOver412

Don't let it sadden you, that others don't understand.
If indeed you are saddened by it.

Those of us who have walked, totally get that experience you felt.
And it's probably what draws us back time after time.

But I think it's a complex experience that brings us to that point of joy.
In 9 years, I've never been able to articulate it to someone who has not walked a Camino.
I'm not sure I ever could.......

I don't even try anymore ;)

Reflecting on some of those joyous moments of my last Camino.
It was usually:

When I was alone on the trail.
Having a hard day due to weather or terrain.
And something would catch my eye and totally change my mood and lift my sprits.

It's at times like that, I discover there is sometimes a thin line between tears (of joy) and song!
Both is often a fitting thing :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I second @Cheryl2445's sentiments.

How do I explain it to make those I love understand?
You can't. You never will be able to. The only people that will ever come close to understanding are those that have walked The Way. Or something of a similar nature.
On New year's day I met somebody that actually 'got it' here in Germany. I was out walking and she asked me for directions, within minutes we were chatting like old friends. The connection was so immediate it was incredible. Why? She saw my tiny Camino Patch on my daypack. Whilst not having done the camino (yet) she too is a long distance walker. It was getting dark and we were going in opposite directions so sadly we parted ways. I sincerely regret not having asked for her number. With the exception of WhatsApp contact with a fellow forum member I have zero contact with people here in Germany that understand.

I think it's a big part of why so many of us participate here on the forum. WE all 'get it'.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wonderful post! I bet you'll cherish that moment for the rest of your life! It is such a gift of walking a camino to have moments of leaving the past and the future behind and just being in the present and marveling at nature, the resilience of our bodies and spirits - of reveling in, and being grateful for, being alive and aware.

We also walked the Via Serrana, then VdlP, this past fall and during the last month had constant rain and wet feet, after mostly being broiled during the first month. After awhile my wife and I just laughed at it. A fellow pilgrim who befriended us told us that to enjoy such a long-distance experience under those weather conditions required three things - resilience, persistence and a healthy dose of craziness. I think we reached a point where we had all three in abundance and loved every moment.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back