• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Iberia and a Walking Staff

Alan Pearce

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Invierno October 2022
I have a ticket on Iberia Airlines for a flight from Madrid to Compostela in early May. The ticket says that it covers one piece of checked luggage up to a weight of 23 kg. I will have one piece weighing 10 kg, but I will also have a walking staff, 1.35 m long and weighing around 500 grams. Does anyone have experience of how Iberia will handle my request to check the walking staff along with my bag? This assumes that Korean Air will allow me to take from Sydney to Madrid in the first place!

Would devotees of walking poles please not suggest that I leave the staff behind and switch to walking poles instead. It will not happen.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ask Iberia and Korean airlines ... they will have better information than anyone here can supply.

I'm sure any airline staff will acquiese once they learn that one of the esteemed persons on this forum was allowed to do it on a previous flight. Not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Alan...
Can you attach the walking stick to the other luggage in some way so that it is only one piece?

Maybe wrapped in cardboard or a tubo ( ; ) ) and taped strongly to the other.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Put the stick inside the backpac. By an teleskoper stick, no problems at all.

Connie R. Carstens DK

Hi, Alan,
If the Iberia flight is part of your Korean Air ticket, Iberia will transport what Korean has checked. You won't pick up your luggage till you get to Compostela.

If you have a separate ticket, Iberia's maximum is 158 cm height x width x length, so it sounds like your stick will make it unless it is the world's fattest walking staff. I don't know if you can expect leniency from the check-in counter or not, but they would be entitled to charge you, it seems, if your ticket only allows one free piece of checked luggage.

Last edited:
Put the stick inside the backpac. By an teleskoper stick, no problems at all.

Connie R. Carstens DK

Thanks for the suggestion but buying a new stick is not an option. The one I wish to take has been on all my walks, and is decorated with a genuine Australian aboriginal design.
Hi, Alan,
If the Iberia flight is part of your Korean Air ticket, Iberia will transport what Korean has checked. You won't pick up your luggage till you get to Compostela.

If you have a separate ticket, Iberia's maximum is 158 cm height x width x length, so it sounds like your stick will make it unless it is the world's fattest walking staff. I don't know if you can expect leniency from the check-in counter or not, but they would be entitled to charge you, it seems, if your ticket only allows one free piece of checked luggage.

Thanks for your reply Laurie. The two tickets are separate, and both Korean Air and Iberia tell me that it will depend on the security people on the day whether or not I will be allowed to check the staff without paying extra. Korean allows you to check a fishing rod if it is accompanied by a fishing basket. If I wrap the staff in black plastic, then I could pretend to have the worlds' fattest fishing rod, and the worlds' funniest looking fishing basket!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just a note on this. A ticket bought on Iberia, might actually be flown by Vueling (Iberia owns Vueling)... Would not be surprised if Vueling might have different rules. I don't know, but check it out on wwe.Vueling.es

Buen camino!
Ivar

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.