• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

If foot fails, can I volonteer?

A

Anemone del Camino

My fascia started giving trouble two weeks ago next Monday. And I fly to start the Primitivo in a week, next Monday. Last year, when I started to limp I just kept walking, thinking that, after all, I was not about to park myself at the Parador for 2 weeks waiting for my flight. But know that I will just cause more permanent damage, I am thinking that even if I cannot walk 25km a day I could do house work and help in an albergue. Who and how would I contact someone en route if my foot fails me to offer a hand? Fluent in French and Spanish, English used throughout boarding school and graduate school. Good cook. This will be my 5th 3 week long outing on the Camino: CF done, CDN from San Sebastian to Llanes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My fascia started giving trouble two weeks ago next Monday. And I fly to start the Primitivo in a week, next Monday. Last year, when I started to limp I just kept walking, thinking that, after all, I was not about to park myself at the Parador for 2 weeks waiting for my flight. But know that I will just cause more permanent damage, I am thinking that even if I cannot walk 25km a day I could do house work and help in an albergue. Who and how would I contact someone en route if my foot fails me to offer a hand? Fluent in French and Spanish, English used throughout boarding school and graduate school. Good cook. This will be my 5th 3 week long outing on the Camino: CF done, CDN from San Sebastian to Llanes.
I sympatize with you and do not want to diminish the problems you are having. I know very little about fascia, but I have walked the Camino for the last two years with severe neuropathy in my right foot. To put it simply, it is debilitating and hurts like "hell". Last year I limped from SJPdP to Santiago for 45 days. This year I plan to take it "easy" and walk from Oloron-Sainte-Marie to Logrono and later in the year from Burgos to Astorga and then Ferrol to Santiago. That doesn't make me a hero or special, I just did it with lots of rest days and shorter treks. This year I decided to add volunteering in early July at San Anton to my Camino experience, perhaps Reb Scott can give you some suggestions about places to volunteer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
[QUOTE="biarritzdon, post: 302242, member: 18618" Last year I limped from SJPdP to Santiago for 45 days. This year I plan to take it "easy" and walk from Oloron-Sainte-Marie to Logrono and later in the year from Burgos to Astorga and then Ferrol to Santiago. .[/QUOTE]
Thank you Biarrtzdon, I also plan on short days. I have 3 or 4 of them, that are between 8 and 9 kms so hopefully that will be good. The 13 "traditional etapas" on the primitivo will be 17 according to what I have mapped out to accomodate my foot. And yesterday I went to the Dr's to pickup serious meds. But I know this is not a walk in the wilderness, that I will be amonsgt people and services throughout (except the Hospitales route if I opt to take it) so all will be fine. I just think that I would rather volunteer on site than sit in a hotel for days, or come home early, in case of complete refusal on the part of my foot to cooperate. While I cannot committ to a specific two week stint anywhere at the moment, if I can be of assistance somewhere by not. If not .... I think I hear the riefs and fish of the Red Sea calling ;0) Must remember to bring my bathingsuit!

[QUOTE="biarritzdon, post: 302242, member: 18618" Last year I limped from SJPdP to Santiago for 45 days. This year I plan to take it "easy" and walk from Oloron-Sainte-Marie to Logrono and later in the year from Burgos to Astorga and then Ferrol to Santiago. .
Thank you Biarrtzdon, I also plan on short days. I have 3 or 4 of them, that are between 8 and 9 kms so hopefully that will be good. The 13 "traditional etapas" on the primitivo will be 17 according to what I have mapped out to accomodate my foot. And yesterday I went to the Dr's to pickup serious meds. But I know this is not a walk in the wilderness, that I will be amonsgt people and services throughout (except the Hospitales route if I opt to take it) so all will be fine. I just think that I would rather volunteer on site than sit in a hotel for days, or come home early, in case of complete refusal on the part of my foot to cooperate. While I cannot committ to a specific two week stint anywhere at the moment, if I can be of assistance somewhere by not. If not .... I think I hear the riefs and fish of the Red Sea calling ;0) Must remember to bring my bathingsuit![/QUOTE]
HaHa! The beaches on the Red Sea sounds like a nice alternative; just like the beaches here in Biarritz. I guess you could always "stumble into" an albergue that is short handed and there you are with a job for a few days while your foot takes a breather.

HaHa! The beaches on the Red Sea sounds like a nice alternative; just like the beaches here in Biarritz. I guess you could always "stumble into" an albergue that is short handed and there you are with a job for a few days while your foot takes a breather.
Oh, no, no beach, liveaboard diving boat! Just like the Camino, pure escape ;0)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Anemone, you've gotten some good advice here. I have never been a hospitalera, though it is definitely on my list for the first year after I retire, but I have helped out in albergues randomly when they were short staffed and I had arrived early enough in the day that I had time. Sometimes in municipals (Arca do Pino, Logrono, Melide), sometimes in privates (Fonfria, Ages). In fact, a couple of times the owner asked if I would stay on for a while, but I always had to move ahead. So my guess is that it would be easy to find a place to help out. Speaking Spanish will be helpful.

I think this is a great back-up, but I certainly hope you do not have to resort to it. Buen camino, and hope to hear how it goes when you're walking! Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Does anyone have a favorite place to stay in arzua? Thanks for any suggestions!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back