• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

i'm leaving in 2 days for Spain!

annie o

hello-i have been planning for months and have found this forum very helpful. i can hardly believe that i'm about to leave. i have been so calm, and now i am not! i am rethinking some of my decisions, and just feel so panicky. i haven't been worried about how i will get from madrid airport to pamplona to roncesvalles to st. jean pied de port, but now it feels like 'how am i going to do that?!?' also, i have gotten nervous about checking my trekking poles and having them get lost in transit....big sigh, i guess i just have to trust, and return to my calm, pilgrim-like state that has been so blissful these last few weeks. any advice/experience/words of wisdom would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks to all of you who have inspired me, and also made me laugh. hopefully, that is what i have in store on the camino :)
peace and blessings-annie o

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Annie, that isn´t panic, it´s excitement! You´re embarking on a great adventure, so OF COURSE you have butterflies in your stomach!

Thousands have walked the path before you, so you really have nothing to worry about. Relax. The journey´s already begun.

Rebekah

Annie...you are allowed to be excited and nervous and all the rest! All the best for your departure, and I am sure everything will totally fall into place for you, even if some of it is not as you might have planned!
Margaret

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
thank you so much! both of these posts are so encouraging. i can breath and let go, and yes, thousands (THOUSANDS!!!) have walked it before, so i will be in good company both with whoever i meet and those whose steps i follow. thank you.
peace and blessings-
annie o

Annie, the weather forecast isn't great so listen to the locals in St Jean - if they tell you not to walk the Route Napoleon to Roncesvalles, DON'T.
The Valcarlos route is the 'authentic' route through the valley of Charlemagne and is equally scenic. If you walk on the road, face the oncoming traffic. Don't take any of the detours - camino signs pointing an alternative way off the road. Keep warm, keep hydrated, try to keep close to other walkers. There is a lot of mud about so use your poles.
Big warm hug!

thanks, will do. i have been checking the weather and it hasn't seemed so bad, but i will DEFINITELY follow the suggestions of the locals. i want to finish in santiago! btw, i have not made any reservations for my first night in st. jean. do you think that is a problem? if i haven't started walking am i allowed to stay in a pilgrim albuergo? i am planning on staying in st. jean a couple of days just in case of jet lag. any suggestions/experiences/advice welcomed!

thanks again-i'm down to counting the hours. it's less than 24!
peace and blessings-
annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good luck, Annie!
You'll be fine. You've gotten great advice from experienced pilgrims. Relax and know that from here on you are "en Camino".

I began in Roncesvalles and when I arrived (on the bus from Pamplona in the evening) I went to the albergue and stayed the night. Since it is a startng point, a Pilgrim is obviously on his way when he arrives there.

Although I didn't begin in SJPDP, I would guess that if you are planning to stay a few days, that you should probably not expect to stay in an albergue, but rather a hostel or small hotel until you actually plan to begin. Others may have other opinions, but that would be the way I would do it.

I hope that your Camino is all that you hope for.
¿Qué Santiago te bendiga!
Buen Camino,

Hi annie,
You wouldn't be able to stay in the pilgrim albergue itself in SJPP for more than one night, but in a gite like l'Esprit du Chemin you can stay two nights, so long as they have room. Why not send them a quick e-mail to check out the possibility? Another option might be to stop a night wherever it is that you land before you head to SJPP.
If you have not booked anything before arrival, head to the pilgrim office in SJPP, and they will help you find somewhere. If you haven't booked, and things end up being a bit full, you might need to stay in a chambre d'hote, like a bed and breakfast, which is more expensive, but could give you a bit more privacy to recover from jetlag.
All the best annie.
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back