• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Info and a photo video from Variante Espiritual

bjorgts

Time of past OR future Camino
In Spain, France, Portugal, Germany since 2003
In April we walked the Camino Portugués por la Costa, choosing the Variante Espiritual on the last part. There were a great many walkers on the main route, and also surprisingly many on the variant, but considerably fewer than on the main route. The weather was perfect and we had a nice last part of our camino.
The most common is to divide the Variante into three; Pontevedra - Almenteira, Almenteira - Vilanova de Arousa, boat from there (almost) to Padron plus a bit further or a long leg all the way to Santiago.
We divided the Variante into four, and thought it was a good solution for us. Not least because the accommodation situation is uncertain in Almenteira. You can book at the hostel, but the number of walkers is now so high that it is very often full even when people try to book. You cannot book with the nuns.
The first night we spent in Combarro. The tiny town is turistic, but nice. Stayed in Casa Mariña. I think we paid 55€. It's steep up from Combarro and it's nice to get that climb at the beginning of a day rather than at the end.
Second night we spent in Os Castaños, Hospedaje Rústico - Rastaurante Os Castaños. They are not on Booking.com. I'm not sure, but I think we paid 66€ with a good breakfast.
The third night we spent in Vilanova de Arousa at the Hotel Bradomin (about 50€) before taking the boat.
It was a very nice Variante and we were glad we chose it, even though it is said to have been created by local tourism interests.
Here is the photo video from Variante Espiritual. There will be a video of our entire camino as well, but it will take much longer to make.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I second that itinerary; we did almost the exact same thing last fall. We even added an extra night, stopping 10 km past Padron, so that we would have a short last day into Santiago, which felt very good. We also found the number of pilgrims to be much smaller than the main route (some perigrino friends who stayed on the main route messaged us about "elbowing their way" through the crowds).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I second that itinerary; we did almost the exact same thing last fall. We even added an extra night, stopping 10 km past Padron, so that we would have a short last day into Santiago, which felt very good. We also found the number of pilgrims to be much smaller than the main route (some perigrino friends who stayed on the main route messaged us about "elbowing their way" through the crowds).
We also stopped 10-12 km past Padron. Perfect for elderly people like us. We are in our seventies.

In April we walked the Camino Portugués por la Costa, choosing the Variante Espiritual on the last part. There were a great many walkers on the main route, and also surprisingly many on the variant, but considerably fewer than on the main route. The weather was perfect and we had a nice last part of our camino.
The most common is to divide the Variante into three; Pontevedra - Almenteira, Almenteira - Vilanova de Arousa, boat from there (almost) to Padron plus a bit further or a long leg all the way to Santiago.
We divided the Variante into four, and thought it was a good solution for us. Not least because the accommodation situation is uncertain in Almenteira. You can book at the hostel, but the number of walkers is now so high that it is very often full even when people try to book. You cannot book with the nuns.
The first night we spent in Combarro. The tiny town is turistic, but nice. Stayed in Casa Mariña. I think we paid 55€. It's steep up from Combarro and it's nice to get that climb at the beginning of a day rather than at the end.
Second night we spent in Os Castaños, Hospedaje Rústico - Rastaurante Os Castaños. They are not on Booking.com. I'm not sure, but I think we paid 66€ with a good breakfast.
The third night we spent in Vilanova de Arousa at the Hotel Bradomin (about 50€) before taking the boat.
It was a very nice Variante and we were glad we chose it, even though it is said to have been created by local tourism interests.
Here is the photo video from Variante Espiritual. There will be a video of our entire camino as well, but it will take much longer to make.
Beautiful 🤩 thanks for sharing!

What a wonderful photo show. It brought back to many good memories.

We walked the more traditional route of three days which, to our very good fortune, included a night at the Monestario in Armenteria in 2022 off-season. However, were we to walk the VE again, which I hope we can, we’d take a short day out of Pontevedra and overnight in Combarro before going up the hill. As we were able to catch an early boat out of Vilanova de Arouza and because we had stayed in Padron on a previous Camino, we walked on about 10km past Padron to make a shorter day into SdC. Had we not been told that the Botafumeiro would swing at the 11 am Pilgrim’s Mass, we might have stayed again in Padron since it’s a most pleasant small town. However, we wanted to make sure we got to the cathedral in time for mass.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I will be walking the Spiritual Variant in October. My plan is to take the boat from Villanova de Arousa and then walk towards Santiago where I have a reservation for that night. If I can’t comfortably reach Santiago that day, I will take the bus that runs along the N-550 when I get tired, then bus out the next morning to finish the walk.

Just wonderful, so many memories. Thank you for sharing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed the Spiritual Variant, but did it in 3 days and found that second day was beautiful to start but a tough slog at the end. You have a good plan to break it up like you did. Maybe next time, lol.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back