• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Variante Espiritual recognized or not ?

Camembert

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Is the Variante Espiritual recognized by the Pilgrims Office yes or not ?
last year it was not. This year there was doubt about it anyway on this forum and I checked it out by someone who worked at the Pilgrims Office as volunteer but he could not give me the right answer .
The only thing we knew so far is that the official routes , issued by the Pilgrims Office from Portugal are
240 kms by the Central route from Porto via Tui , the coastal from Porto to Vila do Conde and from there to the Central route 260 kms and the coastal route from Porto via Baiona and Vigo , 280 kms. All counted via Caldas de Reis.
Today I got the confirmation that if you walk one of these routes ánd the Variante Espiritual and you ask for a certificate of Distance, the kms mentioned on this document, in this case from a friend who walked from Porto to Vila do Conde and from there on the Central route via Tui are 260 kms . ( should be 315 km though if it is a recognised part of the caminho Português) The extra kms for the VE -about 55 kms - are not counted. This friend arrived today in Santiago and let me know as I asked him on beforehand.

The Variante Espiritual is a beautiful route and the boatride is a nice break .
so there is no reason not to walk this part others than officially it is not recognized by the Pilgrims Office. Who cares about this 55 extra kms ?
But keep in mind to take care that you always walk from at least from O Porriño or Vigo to walk the correct distance of 100 kms as measured by Caldas de Reis and gather 2 stamps a day from O Porriño or Vigo..
If you think to start in Redondela and walk the Variante , the boatride and the last about 30 kms from Pontecessures to Santiago ( is 100 kms) , they will not give you a Compostela

And always gather two stamps , also on the Variante Spiritual !

It does not effect many because most pilgrims start in Porto and then you always pass O Porrińo or Vigo.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked CP Coastal with Espiritual and had no problem getting my Compostela. Admittedly, I started in Porto and easily had all the stamps. And, as there was no one to share the boat with, I walked the whole way to Padron (which is not very interesting).

I had a chat with the volunteer about my route and there was no suggestion at all that the espiritual wasn't accepted, you just need to do the distance (100 km at the very least).

I walked CP Coastal with Espiritual and had no problem getting my Compostela. Admittedly, I started in Porto and easily had all the stamps. And, as there was no one to share the boat with, I walked the whole way to Padron (which is not very interesting).

I had a chat with the volunteer about my route and there was no suggestion at all that the espiritual wasn't accepted, you just need to do the distance (100 km at the very least).
That is correct what you say because you came from Porto so as you say you had all stamps ( from O Porriño or Vigo ! and before those places)
But there are people who think “ I start in Redondela and even in Pontevedra and think they walk 100 kms by the VE and can apply for a Compostela. Nope!

And what I also meant by this thread- being a volunteer myself last year- is that people are disappointed - they registrated themselves the kms they walked ( 240-260 or 280 see above my post plus the extra VE kms , 55 kms - and experience that they only get the 240-260 or 280 kms at the certificate of Distance( that is a different document where you have to pay 3€ for and registrates the kms of your walk or ride, given in by yourself by registrating on beforehand on the website of the Pilgrims Office and that means that the distance of the VE is not counted to the total of kms .
My friend did not care by the way. He enjoyed his caminho from Porto and the VE
55 kms more or less on a piece of paper, so what ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The problem isn't so much the Espiritual, but more the total official distance you walked. Go the distance people, if not for the compostela, but for the experience. Don't cut corners and expect to be rewarded.

@Camembert, you seem to be interested in the extra distance being recognized for the distance certificate. If that is so, then it seems not, and it is treated like any other complementary route, and only the distance of the main/core route is recorded.

As for being awarded the Compostela, it is also clear that one needs to start at Vigo or Porrino as a minimum, at least on the most recent version of the credential available from Ivar's store, the cathedral, etc. The previous cathedral credential prepared for the 2021-22 Holy Year makes no mention of the Variante espiritual, but it is shown on the mapping on the more recent credential, with the note 'para poder obtener la "Compostela", la variante espiritual debe iniciarse, como minimo en Porrino o Vigo'. ( In order to obtain the "Compostela", the spiritual variant must start at least in Porrino or Vigo'.) That is, there is no 'credit' for doing any extra distance that would allow you to start after these towns.

I also have the latest credential from Se do Porto, which doesn't have route maps nor any instructions regarding the Variente Espiritual.

On the Pilgrim Office website, the Variante Espiritual route isn't shown on either of the Camino Portuguese lists, here and here. Again, it is the core route that is acknowledged even if you do a complementary route that is longer.

Last edited:
The problem isn't so much the Espiritual, but more the total official distance you walked. Go the distance people, if not for the compostela, but for the experience. Don't cut corners and expect to be rewarded.
Based on distances in Brierley, if you walk to Vilanova de Arousa and take the boat, you will have walked about 48 km from Pontevedra to Padron, compared to 41.3 km going through Caldas de Reis. No-one is cutting any corners here by taking the boat.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is recognised (and it was last year too) and you can take the boat.
The official 'credenciales' issued by the cathedral include it but clearly say that in order to obtain a 'compostela', you must start the Spiritual Variant at least in Porriño or Vigo. I have a 2019 credencial here and it already includes the Spiritual Variant and the note about starting points.
So, starting in Redondela or Pontevedra won't get you a 'compostela'. Starting in Vigo, Porriño or anywhere before those, no problem.
As for the distance certificate, I have no idea.

@MariaSP My friend arrived yesterday from Porto by Vila do Conde to Rates and further on the Central route to Tui Redondela and Pontevedra where he picked up the Variante Spiritual including the boatride.

The route Porto by Vila do Conde , Tui and Caldas de Reis is 260 km due to the computersystem at the Pilgrims Office .

Add the 48 km to it for the Variante and you come to around 300 kms That should be printed out on the Certificado da Distância.
However my friend got a certificado with 260 kms .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
last year it was not. This year there was doubt about it anyway on this forum and I checked it out by someone who worked at the Pilgrims Office as volunteer but he could not give me the right answer .
The only thing we knew so far is that the official routes , issued by the Pilgrims Office from Portugal are
240 kms by the Central route from Porto via Tui , the coastal from Porto to Vila do Conde and from there to the Central route 260 kms and the coastal route from Porto via Baiona and Vigo , 280 kms. All counted via Caldas de Reis.
Today I got the confirmation that if you walk one of these routes ánd the Variante Espiritual and you ask for a certificate of Distance, the kms mentioned on this document, in this case from a friend who walked from Porto to Vila do Conde and from there on the Central route via Tui are 260 kms . ( should be 315 km though if it is a recognised part of the caminho Português) The extra kms for the VE -about 55 kms - are not counted. This friend arrived today in Santiago and let me know as I asked him on beforehand.

so there is no reason not to walk this part others than officially it is not recognized by the Pilgrims Office. Who cares about this 55 extra kms ?
But keep in mind to take care that you always walk from at least from O Porriño or Vigo to walk the correct distance of 100 kms as measured by Caldas de Reis and gather 2 stamps a day from O Porriño or Vigo..
If you think to start in Redondela and walk the Variante , the boatride and the last about 30 kms from Pontecessures to Santiago ( is 100 kms) , they will not give you a Compostela

It does not effect many because most pilgrims start in Porto and then you always pass O Porrińo or Vigo.

This question has already been answered clearly and definitively by someone working at the Pilgrims office as recently as a couple of months ago, in a thread that you yourself in a previous incarnation contributed to, added much confusion to and subsequently deleted. Here is the clear answer again for anyone who wishes to know. But let's just keep it simple:

Yes, the Variant Espiritual is recognised by the Pilgrims Office, it is an official route.

No, the extra 55km of the variant doesn't count as distance and so if you want a compostela you will still have to start in Porriño or Vigo.

Last edited:

I started in Vigo, completed the Spiritual Variant with the boat. 101km on my distance certificate. Received Compostela no problems. Enjoy

On a slightly different tack (pun intended) of Compostella qualification that has always intrigued me about the EV, if you must walk the last 100km (2 stamps etc) to get your Compostella and you take a boat (water taxi) for a good chunk, rather than walking to Padron, how does that meet the stated requirement ? Is there a dispensation for the boat trip or is the pilgrim office assuming those applying with their two stamps have actually walked ?

Have only focussed on the last 100 assuming horses and cycles aren't accommodated on the boat.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On a slightly different tack (pun intended) of Compostella qualification that has always intrigued me about the EV, if you must walk the last 100km (2 stamps etc) to get your Compostella and you take a boat (water taxi) for a good chunk, rather than walking to Padron, how does that meet the stated requirement ? Is there a dispensation for the boat trip or is the pilgrim office assuming those applying with their two stamps have actually walked ?

Have only focussed on the last 100 assuming horses and cycles aren't accommodated on the boat.
The fact is that OPorriño/ Vigo to Santiago by Caldas de Reis is a recognized and an officially trail of 100 kms.
By walking the VE you add 48 kms to your walk but skip Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis (= approx. 20 kms.) and Caldas de Reis to Padron ( approx.another 20 kms.)
So the difference is about 8 kms between the official way and the VE detour.
The boatride is not from any importance in this case as long as your total walk is 100 kms and you collect 2 stamps a day during these ultimate 100 kms. So whatever the VE is recognized or not, also gather 2 stamps a day during the VE.

The fact is that OPorriño/ Vigo to Santiago by Caldas de Reis is a recognized and an officially trail of 100 kms.
By walking the VE you add 48 kms to your walk but skip Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis (= approx. 20 kms.) and Caldas de Reis to Padron ( approx.another 20 kms.)
So the difference is about 8 kms between the official way and the VE detour.
The boatride is not from any importance in this case as long as your total walk is 100 kms and you collect 2 stamps a day during these ultimate 100 kms. So whatever the VE is recognized or not, also gather 2 stamps a day during the VE.
Yes I get you've walked more than 100km in total but it's not contiguous if you take the boat prior to Padron, which is my understanding of the compostella criteria.

I think the boat is a great idea and symbolic of the last journey etc but as you appear to be arguing whether the EV is recognised and why the distance certificate doesn't recognise the extra distance was just wondering how the boat trip fitted in officially

I think the boat is a great idea and symbolic of the last journey etc but as you appear to be arguing whether the EV is recognised and why the distance certificate doesn't recognise the extra distance was just wondering how the boat trip fitted in officially
I think this is a question best answered by the Pilgrim Office itself. Those of us who have taken the boat have shared our experience that it has not precluded getting the Compostela. It was clear from the stamps in my credencial that I had taken the boat, but I don't recall them being examined in any detail, nor did I specifically mention that. That is a practical view of the matter. If you want the official view, email the Pilgrim Office. Whenever I have done so, they have been pretty quick to respond. And of course, we would all be interested in any answer you get from them.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This question has already been answered clearly and definitively by someone working at the Pilgrims office as recently as a couple of months ago, in a thread that you yourself in a previous incarnation contributed to, added much confusion to and subsequently deleted. Here is the clear answer again for anyone who wishes to know. But let's just keep it simple:

Yes, the Variant Espiritual is recognised by the Pilgrims Office, it is an official route.

No, the extra 55km of the variant doesn't count as distance and so if you want a compostela you will still have to start in Porriño or Vigo.
It is now also the same situation with the A Coruna arm of Ingles. I did both the A Coruna and Ferrol arms of the Ingles this May and although I received the compostela, I did not receive the distance from A Coruna to Bruma in my distance total. As with the Spiritual Variant, this part of walk is considered only as supplementary to a Camino Ingles from Ferrol. Others have told me personally that you used to have the A Coruna to Bruma section added into your distance but not any more. No wonder I encountered very few pilgrims on this section. Like others, I ultimately don't care and enjoyed the walk from A Coruna to Bruma very much.

Based on distances in Brierley, if you walk to Vilanova de Arousa and take the boat, you will have walked about 48 km from Pontevedra to Padron, compared to 41.3 km going through Caldas de Reis. No-one is cutting any corners here by taking the boat.
Sorry didnt want to create confusion about taking the boat. I would have if it had been an option, and would recommend it to anyone (the walk is no fun). Talking to the person from the office, the espiritual is a recognised route, as long as you do the distance (as was stated above).

I have done the route from Porto to Santiago via the coastal way and the spiritual variant. Today I have arrived at Santiago. I received the Compostela and the certificate of distance at 280km. Points to note. From Vigo 2 stamps a day and you will be fine. The pilgrim office refused to include the distance for the spiritual variant when I requested.

Overall it was quick to get the Compostela and the certificate of distance if you pre register and get a QR code.

Otherwise security guard and the volunteers are a rude and surly bunch.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Overall it was quick to get the Compostela and the certificate of distance if you pre register and get a QR code.

Thank you, I'm sure they found you a real pleasure to serve too.

I have done the route from Porto to Santiago via the coastal way and the spiritual variant. Today I have arrived at Santiago. I received the Compostela and the certificate of distance at 280km. Points to note. From Vigo 2 stamps a day and you will be fine. The pilgrim office refused to include the distance for the spiritual variant when I requested.

280 kms is the distance from Porto by the coastal via Baiona, Vigo and Caldas de Reis and not via the Variante Espiritual ( count ca 45 kms to it) so back to the question of post #1 of this thread.

@jw2828 you are very respectful to the staff and volunteers who come to Santiago from all over the world to serve you ! thank you 🙏😏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
280 kms is the distance from Porto by the coastal via Baiona, Vigo and Caldas de Reis and not via the Variante Espiritual ( count ca 45 kms to it) so back to the question of post #1 of this thread.
I am curious. Do you know of any route where additional distances involved in walking the complementary routes or variants is acknowledged on the distance certificate. I don't remember being asked if I had walked the Route Napoleon or Route Valcarlos, gone via Vilar de Mazarife, walked to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos or many of the other variants along the Camino Frances. Why would an alternative route to the official CP be any different?

I am curious. Do you know of any route where additional distances involved in walking the complementary routes or variants is acknowledged on the distance certificate. I don't remember being asked if I had walked the Route Napoleon or Route Valcarlos, gone via Vilar de Mazarife, walked to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos or many of the other variants along the Camino Frances. Why would an alternative route to the official CP be any different?
Last year when I was volunteer we had the freedom to add kms on the Distância to the recognized routes because it was handwritten by then.
so on request I did rarely .
But the difference now is that all routes are automised. No handwritings neither for a Compostela, nor for a Distância. And remarkable is that when you register on beforehand upon arriving you only can choose the places where you started and concerning the Portuguese you can fill in that you walk by coastal, by central or a mix coastal/central and all distances are calculated including Caldas de Reis and are fixed figures 240 kms 260 kms and 280 kms . The VE is not mentioned at all so in my opinion it is not recognized .
to answer your question: I have seen all the distances in the computer from the Francès to the Via de la Plata but only the Portuguese had different possibilities anyway from Porto . Even the one from Lisbon is fixed . I have here at home mine, 655 kms from Lisbon by the the Central from Porto.

Last edited:

I can answer...

Actually, there are examples of this and here are two in particular:
If a pilgrim detours by Samos Monestary on the Camino Frances, (the Samos sello is obvious, it jumps out at you, taking up half the credential!) we can manually add 7km to their distance on the certificate. On the Primitivo, if a pilgrim walks by Pola de Allande instead of the hospitales route, they are allowed 5km more, and again this can be entered manually. These are the official distances on the system and we still have the ability to input and manipulate these figures on the printed certificates. I always make a point of checking with pilgrims if they've taken these alternatives so it can be properly recorded for them. Where all the relevant information can't be printed, it can still be written in by hand, such as obscure starting points etc.

Perhaps in time, the variante espiritual will also be recognised for it's extra distance. Meantime, don't hold your breath.. just enjoy it for what it is and whose counting? Mind you, I've yet to walk it..🙄😂

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It would be nice if the Pilgrim Office could manually add on the distance for the A Coruna arm to the Camino Ingles from Ferrol. It would help promote pilgrims to include the A Coruna arm when they are walking the Ingles. A Coruna is a great city to visit and why not walk from there to where it meets the Ferrol arm at Bruma. Currently, it seems (my experience this spring) that not many pilgrims are walking the A Coruna arm because there isn't enough distance for a compostela and the albergues and cafes seem pretty quiet (mid to late May) as a result. There have been recent efforts to create a 25 km walk in home countries that can be added on to the A Coruna to Santiago route for a compostela. I believe Ireland already has one and here in Vancouver, Canada my pilgrim colleagues are working on one.

So, Pilgrim Office, help promote the A Coruna arm by adding on the distance!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back