• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Info Needed on Return from Santiago to Madrid- Thanks!

templarsoul

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (SJPP to Fisterra) (June/July 2015)
Hello,

I'd appreciate any insight on what might be the best way to get to Madrid from Santiago. The train seems to run more and take longer than flying Ryanair. The difficulty with Ryanair is that they have two flights per day, one very early and the other very late. If we are cutting it short and will need to choose the latter, do Madrid hotels have staff on duty 24/7? I ask as we'd be getting in at 23:30 and not to the hotel until an hour later.

Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last summer I flew to Madrid from Santiago on Iberia Express. I believe Vueling Airlines flies there from Santiago as well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Plenty of hotels in Madrid are open 24/7. You can check on a specific hotel at www.booking.com. The current train schedule has three trains weekdays from Santiago to Madrid. The overnight train arrives in time for many Barajas departures. An advantage of the train over an airplane flight is the nearness of the train station to downtown Santiago compared to the hassle of checking through an airport. If the local flight arrives at a different terminal in Madrid, it may be faster to get from the train station to the gate than transfer terminals. It is rare that luggage will go directly from Vueling or RyanAir to your outbound flight, so you will have the job of moving your backpack yourself. The overnight bus from Santiago to Madrid T-4 is hell on wheels; I do not recommend it!!
upload_2014-12-7_5-43-41.png

Plenty of hotels in Madrid are open 24/7. You can check on a specific hotel at www.booking.com. The current train schedule has three trains weekdays from Santiago to Madrid. The overnight train arrives in time for many Barajas departures. An advantage of the train over an airplane flight is the nearness of the train station to downtown Santiago compared to the hassle of checking through an airport. If the local flight arrives at a different terminal in Madrid, it may be faster to get from the train station to the gate than transfer terminals. It is rare that luggage will go directly from Vueling or RyanAir to your outbound flight, so you will have the job of moving your backpack yourself. The overnight bus from Santiago to Madrid T-4 is hell on wheels; I do not recommend it!!
View attachment 15161
Thanks, I will definitely avoid the "autobus desde el infierno!" If I read your screencap correctly, the cheapest train ticket to from SdC to Madrid is only 15 euros? It must be that this route takes 9 1/2 hours. We're flying out of T1 at Barajas. As we're doing our mochillas as carry-ons, I'm looking at a nearby Hotel that we could walk from- if necessary.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If I read your screencap correctly, the cheapest train ticket to from SdC to Madrid is only 15 euros? It must be that this route takes 9 1/2 hours.
The least expensive fare is a seat on a sleep train, and certainly the least comfortable. It is a long run because it is overnight and stops everywhere!

Booking.com will show you a map of hotels near the airport and their room rates. I have checked rates at hotels, then sat across the street to make a booking.com reservation. The reservation has always been equal to, or less than, the rate at the hotel desk.

Thanks, I will definitely avoid the "autobus desde el infierno!" If I read your screencap correctly, the cheapest train ticket to from SdC to Madrid is only 15 euros? It must be that this route takes 9 1/2 hours. We're flying out of T1 at Barajas. As we're doing our mochillas as carry-ons, I'm looking at a nearby Hotel that we could walk from- if necessary.

Most of the hotels are located in the Sol area ... downtown. Metro and Cercanius provide fast efficient links from downtown Madrid to T1-T2-T3 and T4 terminal buildings.

2002 Madrid Airport

The airport in Madrid is called Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport (MAD). There are 4 terminals. T1, T2, and T3 are connected while T4 is connected via shuttle. Terminal 4S is connected to Terminal 4 by Automatic People Mover (APM) and has a shuttle stop.

Madrid Airport (MAD)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Information about the inter-terminal shuttle is located here:
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee...554331229//Connections-between-terminals.html

2003 Getting around in Madrid

Connections to Madrid include subway (Metro), light rail transit (Cercanius), and Express bus (EMT).

Madrid Metro has stations at T1-T2-T3 and at T4. The trains run every 6 - 12 minutes.

Madrid Cercanius has a station at T4. The trains run every 30 minutes.

EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express operates a bright yellow express bus every 13 -20 minutes from the airport T1-T2-T3 and airport T4 to Puerta de Atocha Renfe station.

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/index.html

Madrid Metro Map
http://www.metromadrid.es/export/sites/metro/comun/documentos/planos/Planomayo2013.pdf

Madrid Cercanius (operated by Renfe)
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

EMT Madrid provides Madrid transit bus services
http://www.emtmadrid.es/

EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express
http://www.emtmadrid.es/lineaAeropuerto/index.html

2006 Madrid Airport to train station Puerto de Atocha

a. Puerto de Atocha is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; line 10 to Tribunal; and, line 1 to Renfe Atocha.

b. Puerto de Atocha is reached by Renfe Cercanius direct from Madrid Airport T4

c. Puerto de Atocha is reached by EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express direct from Madrid Airport.

2007 Madrid Airport to train station Chamartin

a. Chamartin is reached by Metro. Take line 8 from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4 to Nuevos Ministerios; and, line 10 to Chamartin.

b. Chamartin is reached by Renfe Cercanius direct from Madrid Airport T4.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Everything depends on your flight time.

I am a proponent of the overnight train especially if you have a morning flight. The train arrives at Chamartin station (8:00 am) then you catch the Cercanias train (runs every half hour) from there to the airport. There are several sleeping options from sharing a coach with four people (same sex) to a single, cost varies quite a bit. If you have a noon to later flight or first thing in the morning, flying is probably a better option.

Ultreya,
Joe

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back