• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Injuries for newbies

Pasha

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago may 2018
Hi again
So I plan to do the Camino Frances in may... I am starting to try "get fitter" I'm just wondering what injuries are most common and is there anything I should do to prevent or be prepared?
Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
what injuries are most common
Blisters and tendonitis/shin splints.

You avoid the first by using blister avoidance techniques and lubricant, and stopping for treatment at the first sign of a hot spot. Also, do not try to keep up with other walkers. You will meet them in the evening, and there will be a tendency to walk at their pace and keep going when you should stop.

There is no clear cause of tendonitis. Stretching before walking may help. Stopping for ten minutes each hour may help. Varying your cadence may help. If you get them, they cannot be stretched or walked away. You need rest, ice, and an NSAID. Three days off is typical, and you can spend them in a bus or taxi if you need to. Don't walk a "short day" or walk around town. Spend your time in bed, on a chair, or in a cafe. Tendonitis needs almost complete rest.

Broken bones, twisted ankles, rhinoviruses, sore muscles, and knee problems are less common, and may all be treatable. I knew a woman who slipped in the shower, broke her arm, and was back on the trail the next day. If you can take the pain/inconvenience, almost everything is tolerable, even blisters and tendonitis.:)

From my observation, blisters are the number one problem, followed by tendinitis and shin splints. The advice above is good. I had a touch of tendinitis in my left knee. I used the ibuprofen gel (the high test stuff) that you can get at any farmacia. Eventually it went away.

Another problem is falls. My advice to prevent them is to use trekking poles and to get good at using them. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to use trekking poles.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm a runner. Tendinitis and shin splints are common running injuries and come from doing too much, too soon. To avoid them as a runner, the trick is to build up and not try to go too far, fast, or hard until your whole system is fit enough to take it. This means not just cardiovascular or muscular, but your joints and connective tissue as well.

For pilgrims, the cardiovascular stuff is relatively minimal (we're walking, not trying to break six-minute miles), muscular stuff builds up relatively fast (after a few days/weeks of sore legs, things improve), but tendons and joints can be challenging. I think more pilgrims would avoid injury if they paid attention to this aspect of fitness.

For exercise to help avoid this, see: https://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/a-runners-guide-to-connective-tissue

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
From my observation, blisters are the number one problem, followed by tendinitis and shin splints. The advice above is good. I had a touch of tendinitis in my left knee. I used the ibuprofen gel (the high test stuff) that you can get at any farmacia. Eventually it went away.

Another problem is falls. My advice to prevent them is to use trekking poles and to get good at using them. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to use trekking poles.
Thanks for that Tom

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That Runners World article was interesting. I like the idea of that wobble board. On the Camino, I saw a lot of people develop knee pain and start wearing knee wraps/braces. Most of it was blamed on downhill walking.

I'm a runner. Tendinitis and shin splints are common running injuries and come from doing too much, too soon. To avoid them as a runner, the trick is to build up and not try to go too far, fast, or hard until your whole system is fit enough to take it. This means not just cardiovascular or muscular, but your joints and connective tissue as well.

For pilgrims, the cardiovascular stuff is relatively minimal (we're walking, not trying to break six-minute miles), muscular stuff builds up relatively fast (after a few days/weeks of sore legs, things improve), but tendons and joints can be challenging. I think more pilgrims would avoid injury if they paid attention to this aspect of fitness.

For exercise to help avoid this, see: https://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/a-runners-guide-to-connective-tissue
Thanks for reply... I'll only be walking 5 days so I'm hoping not too much for me...
My plan is to prepare by walking, running, swimming doing classes etc.. a lot more than I've ever done anyway.. so I hope this prepares me a bit..
Paula

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All the above advice spot on, I just would add: make sure you drink plenty (of water! :D), before you're thirsty.
Agree. I got tendinitis 2 stages before Leon. I caught a bus there and had 2 sessions with a great physio over 2 days. He said I was dehydrated , drink a lot more water and to also take my stretch knee guard off. He showed me how to tape which I did for about a week. It worked, made it to Finisterre.

Hello,

I recently completed the first seven stages of the Camino. I rolled my ankle on a rock but kept walking. I strapped it up, but it didn't get any better. Now getting an ultrasound and X-rays to make sure there's no permanent damage. Anyway, l loved my time on the Camino and am still missing it.

Ange

As a bit of a reluctant 'expert' on Achilles Tendonitis...... :oops:

Of course this is only my own experience and you should seek advice from your medical professionals etc etc.

I developed Achilles Tendonitis training for my first Camino in 2015.
I still have it. It is 'chronic'. I have learned to cope with it.

It was caused by training too much on hard surfaces. Asphalt and Concrete (roads)
The pounding on the hard surfaces was the problem. Also too much too soon.
Don't walk your Camino before the Camino !

I walked from St Jean to Santiago with it. And last year from Sarria.
It can be 'managed'. Again, only my experience.....

But #1. Avoid it! Walk softly on hard surfaces and always choose soft surfaces if possible. And over striding will over stretch the tendons.

If you get it......

You need a regime of stretching
Icing
Anti inflamatories
and pain killers if required.
Use heel wedges.

Also learn taping techniques from a Physio. You can learn to tape your own heels.

When possible, visit a Physio en route. I saw four along the way. They were all excellent.

At stops, use ice, lay down and raise your feet. I used to lie on my back with my feet up on my pack.
When sleeping, raise your feet with a pillow under the mattress.

Use walking poles!!!! Correctly. 90% of people don't. For them to be effective you need to put considerable weight / downward pressure on the poles. Every action has an equal etc etc Remember your Physics.
I used my poles every step of the way. Up, down and flat.

I explain in more detail here with some photos....
http://robscamino.com/tips-on-tendonitis/

Now I don't train much pre Camino. Saving my feet for the real thing.
And I get Cortisone shots into the tendons 2 weeks before I go. Last 5 weeks or so if I'm lucky.
It certainly helps...

As a backup, I might do some research to see if any Hospitals along the route will do Ultrasound guided Cortisone injections. A top up half way would be nice ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Given you are walking only 5 days, your most likely injury will be blisters.

#1 for Blisters? Avoid them. I won't tempt fate....... But I haven't had any yet....

There are many approaches of course. This is mine.

Correctly fitting footwear, larger than normal. My boots are 2 sizes larger than my shoes.
Double layer socks. Thin inner pair, thick outer pair.
Vaseline the feet at the start of the day and half way.
Boots off at every stop.
Boots and socks off, a couple of times during the day.
Only shower at night. Keep feet dry in the morning.
Be very aware in the first 30 minute and after stops, how your feet 'feel'
Is the heel slipping. Is it held down OK by lacing technique
Is the ball of the foot sliding on the boot surface.
Fix any of this by adjusting lacing.
As soon as anything feels wrong, stop! Treat it.
Any hot spots, use Sheep's wool.

And lastly, swap into clean / dry socks part way through the day!
Important on long hot days...
Reduces moisture on the feet, and feels refreshing too......
The old socks, hang on your pack to dry, to be swapped again later if required.

Again, a more detailed explanation here:
http://robscamino.com/foot-care/

My wife also followed this regime last year. No blisters....

Last edited:
Oh, one other common 'injury'.

This one sadly is not fully understood by my medical professionals and I have yet to establish a suitable treatment.

Where are you starting your Camino?
This can have a bearing on the likelihood of you falling foul of this 'ailment'.

The best thing is to watch out for the symptoms. The common ones are these:

It can often occur in the early evening, with an onset of excessive elation and feelings of goodwill.
Leading to a kind of emotional high, followed by a crash...
Then excessive snoring.
Waking after a full nights sleep, not feeling refreshed.
A muggy somewhat 'confused' state, until you are actually on your way and walking.
The symptoms often ease after a while in the fresh air and a 2nd breakfast has been consumed.

Why I ask where you are starting......

Because this condition, I have observed is more prevalent in the area of La Rioja ;)

Given you are walking only 5 days, your most likely injury will be blisters.

#1 for Blisters? Avoid them. I won't tempt fate....... But I haven't had any yet....

There are many approaches of course. This is mine.

Correctly fitting footwear, larger than normal. My boots are 2 sizes larger than my shoes.
Double layer socks. Thin inner pair, thick outer pair.
Vaseline the feet at the start of the day and half way.
Boots off at every stop.
Boots and socks off, a couple of times during the day.
Only shower at night. Keep feet dry in the morning.
Be very aware in the first 30 minute and after stops, how your feet 'feel'
Is the heel slipping. Is it held down OK by lacing technique
Is the ball of the foot sliding on the boot surface.
Fix any of this by adjusting lacing.
As soon as anything feels wrong, stop! Treat it.
Any hot spots, use Sheep's wool.

Again, a more detailed explanation here:
http://robscamino.com/foot-care/

My wife also followed this regime last year. No blisters....
Thanks Rob I never even thought of buying bigger boots so that is good to know...as well as taking boots off and vasaline all great tips
Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Rob I never even thought of buying bigger boots so that is good to know...as well as taking boots off and vasaline all great tips
Thank you

Hi Pasha.

Your feet actually swell when you walk long distances. Hence the larger size requirement. Also you need a bit more space for the double socks.

Make sure you take the time to really select shoes/boots that fit well. I had to buy new boots last weekend. I went to 6 different stores and tried on about a dozen boots. And that was even knowing the brand and model I wanted!

What was interesting, and frustrating was, I just wanted to buy the same boots as my old worn out pair (from 2014). But the latest version of those (2017), just didn't feel right. A bit narrow here, not as soft there.... I knew after 100 kms they would give me problems.

Eventually I found a discontinued model from 2016. And quite by chance, they fit perfectly, just like my old pair. The manufacturer (Salomon) has obviously changed the mould slightly this year........

I still spent an hour or so in the store trying different pairs and half sizes up and down..... And of course UI was wearing the exact double sock combination I would use on the Camino.

Your footwear is the most important item of gear. It can make or break a Camino.......

Have fun ;)

The manufacturer (Salomon) has obviously changed the mould slightly this year........

Have fun ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOO. Please say it ain't so. I have spent years and years to find the perfect boot for my feet, and it was Salomon. I think I have one more new pair stuffed up in my closet somewhere, but this means I will soon be on a hunt for a replacement. In my experience, these changes affect all models of a company's shoes. Drats drats drats.

And btw, I totally agree with Robo's advice on avoiding tendonitis. Of the many great points he makes I would stress a few:

1. Always look for a little dirt path along the side of the road. It is slower to walk on than on the asphalt, but the pounding is much much less. Do this even if your shins are not yet hurting. Most caminos have a LOT of asphalt and it will take its toll.

2. Ice your shins at the end of the day for prevention. I always carry a plastic bag in my little side pack and I take it out and ask the guy at the bar to give me some ice as I order my post-walking drink. Out of more than a decade of walking for 6 weeks a year, I have only had one bar tender even bat an eye at this request -- a guy in Logroño said he didn't have enough.

3. Boots and socks off at every break, dipped in a stream or river if possible. Soaking in cold water can do miraculous things.

4. If you wear orthotics, do not use hard plastic ones on the Camino. That only magnifies and intensifies the pounding your foot and skeletal structure are taking when you walk. I got some silicone orthotics about 12 years ago and though they are heavy I have not had a problem with my feet or shins since then.

In my experience, it is often the best athletes who get tendonitis, so everyone should be careful!

NOOOOOOOOOOO. Please say it ain't so. I have spent years and years to find the perfect boot for my feet, and it was Salomon.

Yes, I was really annoyed. I thought it would be easy and just replace my old pair.
Maybe your model is still the same. Fingers crossed!

More great tips from you Laurie!

Pat (as she has Plantaar Faciitis) is an 'expert' at finding softer ground. If walking along a road and there is a 10 cm piece of dirt, gravel, grass...........she'll be walking on that! Have to say, I do the same. Hard roads kill my feet.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back