• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Injuries

Ymanning

Time of past OR future Camino
May 15 (2013)
Hi everyone.. Just wondering what are the most common injuries and how i can prevent them. Its obvious to me if i push myself too hard trying to beat time I could get injured but seems there are other factors beyond my control.

Any thoughts?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Re: Injuries

A French friend suffered severe tendonitis in France and had to stop walking for a week. The Dr told him he had to take more rest stops, and drink more water. He did both and never had any more problems. I met him not long before Santo Domingo and he was a very strong walker. I was really amazed to hear he had had a previous problem.
Margaret

Assuming you are in decent physical shape and have taken the time to walk with your gear before arriving on the Camino you should be fine. Most common injuries? The first week out you will see many many pilgrims performing the infamous "Santiago Shuffle" appearing every evening in the albergue. A combination of sore and aching feet or muscles plus an amazing exhibition of blisters appearing in all shapes sizes and locations-which leads to the needle and thread them or pad them argument-a heated dispute. My advice? Those first days do drink a lot, get your boots off every few hours and change your socks at lunchtime. Will go a long way to preventing many such things. In Summertime the greatest danger is dehydration again cured by drinking as much as you can whenever you can. 30-40 kilometer days may get you there faster but walking before the sun comes up or at dusk is a great way to get lost or to have an unpleasant encounter with a minivan-tractor-car on a dark lane.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Train before leaving
walk with your hiking shoes
walk uphill and downhill
wear shoes one and a half size bigger then normal
wear professional socks like Bridgdale
toughen your feet skin by training to prevent blisters
do a lot of "preventive" stretches to strengthen your tendons shin and ankle tendons

never shower in the morning it softens your feet
wear knee supports from day one ... whether you think you need them or not(except on measetre)
Spanish pharmacies are expensive...take your own stuff
"Block" the bottom laces on your shoes before you leave...day one is hard and this will help...i promise!
Change socks half way through the day...rinse out the old and hang from pack to dry

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Dougfitz,

. . . and I thought I had seen everything on this site about walking !!!!!

Rob

What is the best way to prevent blisters? I'll be leaving in about 2 months and I bought my backpack 1 week ago. I've made a few walks of a couple of hours wearing about 8 kg on my back, and everytime I've gotten a few blisters.
I'll keep on walking to harden my feet, and ofcourse I'll use the info which has been provided in this thread. Any other things I should keep in mind?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

"Wear shoes one and a half size bigger then normal" ??????

Half size maybe I am thinking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

best thing to do is the minute you feel a hot spot is to put some mexifx tape on it.

my little toes are always a problem but putting a layer of tape round them stops the blisters from forming.

are you wearing proper walking socks?

some do not let your feet breathe. Brigdedale or 1000 mile socks are essential in my view.

wear Tevas whenever you can, though you might need some tape to prevent rubbing - you'll soon feel where you need to put it.

ramonvanderburgt said:
What is the best way to prevent blisters? I'll be leaving in about 2 months and I bought my backpack 1 week ago. I've made a few walks of a couple of hours wearing about 8 kg on my back, and everytime I've gotten a few blisters.
I'll keep on walking to harden my feet, and ofcourse I'll use the info which has been provided in this thread. Any other things I should keep in mind?
Buy "Gloves in a bottle" and apply to your feet every morning before you put your socks on, I used an Australian equivalant and it worked a treat, no blisters for nearly 1000km. Half shoe size extra is plenty or another way to check is try on new boots with socks you intend to wear, shove your foot forward until your big toe touches the front of the boot, then you should be able to fit your two fingers between your heel and the heel of the boot. I would also use two pairs of socks, inside liner socks and good outer socks. I used Bridgedale coolmax liners and Bridgedale Treckers as outers. This worked for me but each one has a different method.

http://www.boots.com/en/Gloves-in-a-Bot ... l_1219264/

PS great links Dougfitz, thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.