• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Injury stopped me last year. Must I start over?

Paintboy2

Time of past OR future Camino
I was stopped in my tracks last year only 2 days from SdC, in Caldes de Reis. A back injury left me unable to walk. We are returning this year to do the Norte but I'm going to finish the last two days of the CP before going up north. Do I have to retrace my steps from the 100k mark or can I pick up where I left off and still qualify for a compostela? This was my 5th Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was stopped in my tracks last year only 2 days from SdC, in Caldes de Reis. A back injury left me unable to walk. We are returning this year to do the Norte but I'm going to finish the last two days of the CP before going up north. Do I have to retrace my steps from the 100k mark or can I pick up where I left off and still qualify for a compostela? This was my 5th Camino.
Hike your Camino...If you've got stamps, I would say you're good to go and just start from where you left off. (but I'm not the Camino hall monitor...you know what you've done. And you've done it, imo)

Just continue from where you stopped in Caldas de Reis and go on with collecting two stamps a day in the credential which you used last year.
and use your credential on the North too if there is enough empty space or use a new one
as a volunteer at the Pilgrims Office in Santiago the other day I saw many pilgrims who used a credential from last year or even earlier because for one or other reason they could not acomplish their camino by then.
As long as we can see two stamps a day during the last 100 kms (200 kms if you do the camino on a bike) It does not matter if you started a year ago or even earlier.
If you apply for a certificate of distance too, we write down the date of last year when you started your walk .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just curious--when you do the Norte, it joins in to the Frances. So if you want to, you can just complete the mileage by taking the Norte all the way in to Santiago.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I started the VdlP in september 2016 and walked from Sevilla to Astorga. In june 2019 I walked from Zamorra to SdC taking the Sanabrés route. The kind volunteer in the Pilgrim’s office checked my stamps, and issued me my Compostella. I did only get the “official” VdlP cerificate of distance, however: 1007 km.

Buen camino!
Miguel

Hike your Camino...If you've got stamps, I would say you're good to go and just start from where you left off. (but I'm not the Camino hall monitor...you know what you've done. And you've done it, imo)
I don’t think there is a rule except for the last 100 km. I have done three portions in the same pilgrims passport. I got my 1/2 way certificate in Sahagun without issue.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back