• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Insoles/inlay soles i Spain

Ladybug

Time of past OR future Camino
I will be walking the camino frances in may/june 2017
I am currently in puente la reina, and my heels are starting to hurt real bad. I know there is a Pharmacie here, are they likely to have insoles/inlay soles? Of course I could get up, walk there and have a look, but I would rather rest, so I am asking you guys:D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am currently in puente la reina, and my heels are starting to hurt real bad. I know there is a Pharmacie here, are they likely to have insoles/inlay soles? Of course I could get up, walk there and have a look, but I would rather rest, so I am asking you guys:D
Hi ladybug
Am sure they will have some gel insoles which cushion the heels
Scholl is a fairly popular brand
You may need to take out the original insoles from your boots/shoes as the gel insoles will tighten your footwear which in turn could cause blisters
Best of luck.
Annette

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you so much for your help, both of you! I will go the pharmacy first thing in the morning. Now I can relax and sleep well, without worrying about walking all the way to Logrono to get new insoles:)

Try hypafix tape which you can buy in the pharmacy. It will prevent your heels from rubbing m. Buen Camino

Two things: First, it might be worth it to look carefully at the shoes you are wearing. They either might not be the right fit to your foot or that there's a stitch in the area causing friction against the sole of your foot.

Socks are the next culprit. Are you wearing cotton or merino wool?

Insoles tend to be an indicator of a problem rather than a solution to a problem.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Maple leaf walker, Thank you for your reply. You are absolutely right that I might have to buy some new shoes. But the problem is not really the rubbing, I have no blisters. I wear two pairs of socks, outer layer wool. Works just fine. It is rather a pain from the heel (inside) and it is continuing up the achilles. I think my Merrel ventilators are a bit to stiff. Today I bought some heel insoles gel type of thing, and put them into my trekking sandals, managed to walk 14 km, but tomorrow I will take a rest day. And buy some new shoes as soon as possible. Merrel doesn't seem to work for me.

Ladybug, two conditions that are common on the camino are achilles tendonitis and planter fascitis. Both can be helped by easy to do stretches. You should be able to find some YouTube videos that will show you how to stretch before, during, and after each day's walking. Learning to stretch is what salvaged my camino last year. I am certainly not diagnosing, but offering a suggestion for a bit of internet research that may be helpful along with the new insoles.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you, Sparrow in Texas! This has to be the problem. Spot on... Makes me a little bit worried, though! But I just read a little bit about it, and some write that magnesium and B12 will be good. (Will be buying tomorrow) And excersises like you said. I don't want this to be over already, I am having the best time in my life. I just love the camino! Thank you again

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here are a few more self-care ideas: most important, drink plenty of water, take shorter days instead of a rest day, avoid really long days, have your boot laces neither too tight nor too loose. And for fun, rest your feet for a day by riding a horse up the mountain to O'Cebreiro.

Last edited:
I have orthotics, but sometimes my feet just get tired. I usually wear some kind of cheap insole (Dr Scholls or similar, just to provide a bit more protection. Of course, you have to be sure that your shoes will accommodate the extra padding.

Be aware that buying new insoles is similar to buying new boots. Your comfy old boots may suddenly become a size too small if the new insoles are too thick. Best to wear them in before starting the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.