• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Intro: planning my third

expatana

Hello all,

I've just signed on. I'm Ana from California, currently staying in Pennsylvania. I did my first Camino in 2000 after nearly 25 years of thinking about it. I adopted Spain as my spiritual home early on, and promised myself I'd walk "someday."
Someday came and I gave up my modest life in L.A. after I knew I wouldn't be able to get the time off. My intent was to try to stay there; I had waited all my life for that opportunity.
Well, of course I couldn't stay then but I did become a peregrina for the first time.
I began the first time from Roncesvalles; and the second, after a teaching stint in Japan (which I'll repeat later this year), on the Camino Aragones from Somport Pass, just over the border from France.
I have few words so far to describe how I felt upon touching that sacred, ancient ground so many had trod. All I knew all along and at the end was that the Camino was going to become an integral part of my life.
My third time will also begin at Somport, as I jumped off the Aragones the first time to go again to Roncesvalles because I love the Navarra region. I'm not sure of the timing, depends on Japan.
I'm glad to come on here, and I hope to get to know many of you.
Buen Camino,
Ana

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
xm said:
Welcome, peregina Ana, feel right at home. Buen Camino, xm 8)

That's just it -- peregrino Manuel has got it down: I so want the Camino to become a permanent part of my life. And I don't just mean symbolically. I'm working currently to find a way to live that will give me that freedom.

After my second experience in '02, I spent a month as hospitalera voluntaria in Fisterra. It was at the same time a learning curve and an acknowledgement to myself that something fit me like a glove. I was home.

Perhaps it didn't happen permanently for me then because I still had more learning to do away from it all ... I only know that my path will lead to my land and Road again.

Thanks for the bienvenida!

Ana

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Ana,

you must then know the Queen Mother of all hospitaleros, Bejo? Awesome human being!

How long at Fisterra?

I do wonder sometimes how long my Camino "fixation" will last. I mean, this adventure has been going on for five years and there seems to be no quitting in sight.

I've told myself so many times, "that's it," "this is it," "no more likewise smelly & noisy peregrinos/albergues," "turigrinos," and what not.

But...

Am curious, how did u first know about the Caminos?

Un abrazo,

xm 8)

I often think about the time I was given the opportunity to work in a refuge... I don't think there's a day goes by that I don't think about it and regret not taking up the offer... That said and done, I do have certain responsibilities... like work...

Hospitalero

Minkey - it wasn't your time to work in a refuge, that's all.
Your time will come.

If anyone would like to work in a refuge, here are some links.

You can offer your help directly to the refuge - a list of refuges can be found at http://www.jacobeo.net/refugios/

Here are some other sites which will assist you in becoming a volunteer:

1. http://www.csj.org.uk
Rabanal: Refugio Gaucelmo - If you would like to be considered as a possible warden, please e-mail the Rabanal Warden’s Corodinator at alisonsp@doctors.org.uk
Miraz – Camino Norte: If you are interested in serving as a warden at Miraz (we still have a few vacancies for 2007, and will be glad to sign you up for 2008), please contact the Miraz Wardens' Coordinator. There will be a training workshop for potential wardens in October 2007. m-wardens(at)csj.org.uk

2. http://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegri ... hosvol.pdf
E-Mail: hosvol@caminosantiago.org
This is the Federation of Associations on the Camino volunteer form.

4. Leon: The albergue, "Das Animas" (the Souls) in Ambasmestas, Leon is sponsored by the Friends of The Camino de Santiago in Ambasmestas and is looking for hospitaleros. Those interested in applying may send an email to: das_animas@hotmail.com

5. http://www.caminhodesantiago.com There is a call for volunteer hospitaleros issued by the Asociacion de Voluntarios en albergues del Camino de Santiago (Association of Camino de Santiago volunteers).
6. http://www.jacobeo.net/hospitaleros/index.htm
Cizur Menor from 29 June to 2 October.

7. ruavieja@asantiago.org
The Friends of the Way of Santiago of the Rioja region coordinate the hospitaleros in the refuge of Logroño.

3. http://www.americanpilgrims.com Go to Join, scoll to volunteer.
American Pilgrims have their annual gathering on 6th March – including a training workshop for future volunteer hospitaleros.
http://www.americanpilgrims.com/events_national.html

FRANCE
In France, especially the refuges in Conques, Estaing and Moissac are often looking for hospitaliers for about a fortnight. You might be useful on the roads from Tours, VĂ©zelay or Arles also.
Accueil Saint Jacques at St Jean Pied-de-Port: Please write to them (in French) if you are interested in acting as a volunteer.
M Jean-Claude Nogues (Canditature Accueillant),
Accueil des pelerins de St-Jacques,
39 rue de la Citadelle,
64220 SAINT JEAN PIED-DE-PORT,
France.
A week at St Jean will do wonders for your French; you will meet a good many pilgrims, and will have the satisfaction of helping them before they embark on the hardest single day of the journey; and you’ll have a good deal of fun.
The following is a translation of the “job description” given out to prospective volunteers for the Accueil.
• You need to be available for pilgrims from 7.00 a.m. to 10.00 p.m., with a 2-hour break for lunch.
• You welcome pilgrims, and give them all the information they need about accommodation, the route, the weight they are carrying (they can do what they like, but most learn quickly enough the uses of the French and Spanish postal services), local shops and repair facilities.
• St Jean being a tourist town, you will also be giving passing holiday-makers information about the camino (there may well be future pilgrims among them).
• You need to be tactful and modest: this is not the place for acting the old soldier.
• You’re a volunteer: you pay your own fare to St Jean, and for your own food, though accommodation is provided (there are 3 bedrooms, each with 2 single beds, in premises provided to us by the municipality).
• You share the cooking with the other volunteers. Similarly, you share the responsibility for keeping the place clean and tidy (though the main housework is done by a cleaning lady who comes once a week).
Please write to us (in French) if you are interested in acting as a volunteer, giving:
• Your exact address
• Your telephone number (including the international code)
• The languages you can speak (with your level of proficiency)
• The weeks (Monday to Monday) between 1st March and 30th November 2004 when you could be available
Write to:

Vezelay Route: The very active VĂ©zelay Association has been developing refuges along that route, and is anxious to recruit wardens, for a fortnight at a time. Contact w.griffiths@ukonline.co.uk for more information.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And when your time does come, it will be that singular experience that you will measure other work experiences against.

There will be a learning curve, know that for sure. I made mistakes I won't make this time, and there will be new mistakes I haven't thought of yet.

I'd love to do it full time. I also think I'd need to have at least some time off, to recharge, to walk my own Camino, to visit other places. But I love the work.

Yep, I got to know Begona very well, and I love her! (sorry about the spelling of her name, it has the tilda above the "n" that I don't have available ...)

Now talk about long hours! She works seven days a week, two weeks vacation a year. She happened to be on vacation for my last week or so. I was left in charge, having been there three weeks, with help from another friend of hers whom I also got to know.

Fisterra is different to volunteer at because as it's the end of the route, many pilgrims ask to stay an extra night or so to "do the town" while they're there, to make time to see the sunset, burn their clothes, the "final" rituals. The albergue doesn't allow it unless it's low season and uncrowded.

Also, most pilgrims want a night out, even though it's a small town, since they're finished walking or biking. There's a curfew there just as in any other albergue for one good reason: the voluntario/a sleeps on a rolled-out cot in the common room. Since that's where everyone gathers at night, it needs to be cleared out at 11 p.m. so the voluntario can get some well-earned sleep. And even though it's really safe, there's been theft and the doors are locked at that time for security reasons, like any other place.

Many pilgrims really argued this one. If there were large enough numbers wanting to come in later, many times I gave them until midnight or 1 a.m. if I was wide awake. Begona left this up to me, as she usually went home at 11 or so.

I tried to think of ways to give end-stage peregrinos a happy experience and run the albergue at the same time. I can think of nights partying peregrinos would ring the doorbell incessantly at 3 a.m. ... They didn't want to hear about curfews on their last night.

Sometimes I opened the door; other times, half asleep, I left it to ring and ring. They had been warned. If I hadn't had some down time in the afternoons, no one would have gotten in past 11.

Begona has a marvelously outgoing personality, a real people person if I ever saw one, and with enough pepper that you couldn't help but listen! :)

She'd welcome pilgrims warmly and trained the voluntarios well in being of service to them. But many times she'd also remind peregrinos that this was an albergue and not a hotel. When they got argumentative about staying an extra night, demanding the Fisterrana without having earned it, or staying out late, she'd just mention that Fisterra counted a goodly list of small hotels and hostales for those who wanted extra services.

So the Fisterra voluntario experience is different from working at other albergues along the Way. There's an end-of-the-road feeling to it all. You're at the Fin de la Tierra and are reminded of it by the rituals and the sea. The next morning, as you give the wake-up and open the kitchen for coffee and breakfast (you do not make any meals, just open the kitchen) ... you're reminded they're not just grabbing the backpack and staff for this day's walk; they're going home. As you are the last Camino person they see, you hope they'll remember you with affection.

Later, cleaning, you can't help noticing the number of staffs and unburnt articles of clothing left behind ...

And the thrill of knowing that while they're going home ... you're staying ... and soon will greet another group of pilgrims reaching the end of the Road.

Buen Camino,
Ana

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back