• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introduction 👋 and n00b questions for VdlP

MrWr1TeR

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hello all,
Me and my wife planning to walk the Vía de la Plata from late march 2022.
We are from the Netherlands.
We will start in Sevilla... We have 2 to 2,5 months to complete. We have some experience walking multi day hikes, but we have some questions.
How busy is this route in spring times? Will we meet other pilgrims or is it quiet on the road?
How do we know auberges are open? Do we need to call every auberge in advance?
We thought of bringing cooking equipement, so gas, stove, pans etc. but we don't actually know if there are shared kitchens in the auberges. So whats the deal with that?

Thanks for any response, tips or insight!
Reinout & Marjolein

Attachments

• 20220118_122301.jpg
    20220118_122301.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20220301_163443.jpg
    20220301_163443.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello all,
We will start in Sevilla... We have 2 to 2,5 months to complete. We have some experience walking multi day hikes, but we have some questions.
How busy is this route in spring times? Will we meet other pilgrims or is it lonely on the road?
We thought of bringing cooking equipement, so gas, stove, pans etc. but we don't actually know if there are shared kitchens in the auberges. So whats the deal with that?

Reinout & Marjolein

Never considered being alone was lonely! Which is why I loved the VEEDLEPEE and still do! :)

Buen Camino

samarkand.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello all,
How busy is this route in spring times? Will we meet other pilgrims or is it quiet on the road?

Reinout & Marjolein
Welcome to the forum. You will find most of the answers to your questions here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/🇪🇸-via-de-la-plata-sanabres.22/

And current information on Albergues and other accommodations here: https://www.gronze.com/via-plata Gronze, (once you've decoded the symbols ;)) will even tell you if there is a kitchen (cocina de uso libre)

I cycled the VDLP a couple years ago. Even during Semana Santa when I was there that spring, the route was not at all busy. There were pilgrims walking, but not a lot compared with other camino routes. As I didn’t know exactly where I’d be stopping each day, I didn’t make reservations except in Sevilla and SdC. I can’t imagine that you’ll need to call in advance, but I was on the road pre-Covid so things may have changed. For accommodations and whether or not they’re open, check out the information on Gronze.com. I’ve had good luck recently contacting some albergues for an upcoming Camino. If it’s closed, that should be indicated on Gronze. Prices don’t seem to be updated, but rest of the information should be helpful.

Welcome to the forum. You will find most of the answers to your questions here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/🇪🇸-via-de-la-plata-sanabres.22/

And current information on Albergues and other accommodations here: https://www.gronze.com/via-plata Gronze, (once you've decoded the symbols ;)) will even tell you if there is a kitchen (cocina de uso libre)
Thank you for the links!
I am still a bit lost on this forum, and the gronze website I will bookmark.

Gracias 👌

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello all,

Reinout & Marjolein
Hello Reinout and Marjolein:

I know that you will not be the only ones on the route since my wife and I will also start the walk on March 23. This will be our 6th Camino but the first time we do the VdlP. From what I have read, March and April are the best times to do this walk in order to avoid the extreme summer heat. That being said, the VdlP is the least popular route and I don’t expect seeing many hikers. From our previous hiking experience, I would not bother with cooking equipment. All the Albergues we have stayed at have at least basic cooking facilities. I have heard that most Albergues are open and there will be at least one option to stay at in each recommended stages. We have never bothered with making reservations in the past and have never been in a situation where we could not find a place to sleep. Keep in mind that public Albergues don’t accept reservations only public ones do. Hopefully our paths will cross.

Ivan and Elaine from Canada

I walked the VDLP starting in mid october and finished in Finistere in mid October. The reason it took so long was I spent about 4 days in Santiago, walked to Muxia and then FInistere and spent 3 days in Muxia and 2 in Finistere. So I took my time. According to the Pilgrim Office statistics in 2019 there were 980 Compostelas issued for the month of April for the whole of the VDLP regardless of where they started. There is no mention of how many pilgrims started in Sevilla so it could not of been too many. In March 95 people got Compostelas that started in Sevilla. Early spring, from what I have heard is prime walking time for the VDLP.
When it come to albergues there were alot of closed municipal albergues but I think my experience would probably not be the same as someone walking in late March and April. I used Gronze.com as Tincatinker recommended. That website seems to be the most accurate. But no website is 100% accurate. I also had Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps just to get more choices of places to stay. There is an association that has a facebook page of private albergues that is up to date. Sorry but I deleted it from my Facebook but hopefully you can find it. There is also a Camino Association in Sevilla you could visit that would probably have that information.
More planning is needed when you walk. I called ahead to make sure albergues or hostels were open. I had to stay in far more hostels than I wanted to. Almost all the kitchens were closed. Many nights i still went to the grocery store to make sure I had food for the next day as there are days where there are no towns. Nights I often had to wait until 9 or 930 for dinner.
It is a far lonelier camino with many more independent walking pilgrims. I saw no pilgrim families and the large percentage of pilgrims were walking alone. Of course I met some really nice people but the opportunity to meet people is much lower on the camino. Many days I didn't see another pilgrim. I think the most pilgrims I ever saw was about 3 or 4 on any day when I was walking. Being in hostels also makes it difficult to have someone to have dinner with. It is a far more difficult camino mentally then physically.
I only met one person who had never walked a camino before. Most people had at least 2 or 3 caminos that they had walked before. This was my 6th.
I am very glad I did it. It was so different than any other Camino I have done. I also believe that each person's camino is different. I think even walking a few days before or a few days after when a pilgrim starts can mean a much different camino. Let alone when I started in October during heavy covid restrictions and this month when restrictions are far less. Take your time. Plan ahead to make sure you have a place that is open to stay and enjoy yourself and know you will have alot of time to allow yourself to get rid of alot of that S*&T that is between all of our ears.
I would NOT take a stove or anything like that. It is just weight that you do not need or want. I also doubt if an albergue doesn't have a kitchen you can cook with that they would want you setting up a gas stove. If the kitchen is closed it is completely closed except for putting things in the refrigerator. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I know that you will not be the only ones on the route since my wife and I will also start the walk on March 23. This will be our 6th Camino but the first time we do the VdlP. From what I have read, March and April are the best times to do this walk in order to avoid the extreme summer heat. That being said, the VdlP is the least popular route and I don’t expect seeing many hikers. From our previous hiking experience, I would not bother with cooking equipment. All the Albergues we have stayed at have at least basic cooking facilities. I have heard that most Albergues are open and there will be at least one option to stay at in each recommended stages. We have never bothered with making reservations in the past and have never been in a situation where we could not find a place to sleep. Keep in mind that public Albergues don’t accept reservations only public ones do. Hopefully our paths will cross.

I am not sure if you meant to say that public albergues don't accept reservations or only private one's accept reservations. Virtually all private albergues accept reservations and if you call ahead some municipal ones (not in Galicia) that will accept your reservation for a bed. I have called on some occasions to municipals and was able to reserve a bed. I have done this because I am 67 (68) in a week to make sure I can get a lower bunk. That is the only reason.

Hello Reinout & Marjolein,

You are going at the perfect time - lots of flowers, beautiful weather (already warm in Sevilla, but then not too too cold when you get to higher elevations and not yet super hot as you finish). You will see spring well underway in the south, but as you go north you will get to see the early springtime, just starting! And there will be people to walk with but not so many as to make you worry about finding a bed at night! IMany albergues do have kitchens - but, when I walked in 2016, we found that the albergues in Galicia did not have a lot of cooking equipment...including some with no pots, etc.

Buen camino!
Mary Louise

That is close to our start day... We don't have an exact day to start yet :)
Thanks for the advise, I think you mean that only commercial albergues/hostels take reservations?

Also we leave the cooking equipent out as you, @lt56ny and @mla1 noted... I 'm always keen on being self-supportive but the weight we can save by not taking it is worth it I guess.

The reason we chose this camino is that we have the time now, and weather based the best option. I' m curious how we will manage this as 'fresh' pilgrims.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That is close to our start day... We don't have an exact day to start yet :)
Thanks for the advise, I think you mean that only commercial albergues/hostels take reservations?

Also we leave the cooking equipent out as you, @lt56ny and @mla1 noted... I 'm always keen on being self-supportive but the weight we can save by not taking it is worth it I guess.

The reason we chose this camino is that we have the time now, and weather based the best option. I' m curious how we will manage this as 'fresh' pilgrims.
Hello:
I should have read my message more carefully before posting it. “Only private (commercial) Albergues/hostels accept reservations” is what I should have said. Good luck and maybe we will meet somewhere on the VdlP.
Ivan and Elaine

Yes, I did understand you it anyway :)
We might start the 22th or also the 23th.

Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.