• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introduction: First Timer

timr

Time of past OR future Camino
Several and counting...
I am departing Burgos on Camino Frances on 8th May. First time. Somewhat overwhelmed by the wealth of (interesting and encouraging) information on this and other websites. I have decided not to look for any more information but just to pack as lightly as possible and see what turns up along the way!
I am 55 and from Liverpool originally, but have been in Kenya for the past 14 years and now embarking on a sabbatical year(-ish). No real time constraint so I will not have to run!
Looking forward to quiet days and convivial evenings.
Tim Redmond

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bienvenido, Tim,

Sounds like you have planned a terriffic Camino... "quiet days and convivial evenings" just about sums it up!

I certainly don't presume to dictate, and your reasons are your own... but since you mentioned that you have no time constraints, I wonder why you don't begin in Roncesvalles or SJPDP? I have walked the Camino twice (I am 55 as wel); once from Roncesvalles and once from Moratinos (near SahagĂşn between Burgos and LeĂłn). There is something to be said for walking the three distinct stages: the emotional, mental and physical. I think that I (and I believe many others here ) would say that if one has the time and the physical ability, it is a particularly valuable experience to walk from the Pyrenees to Santiago. There are probably as many who would disagree, but for what it is worth, that is my opinion.

If you are starting in Burgos, it is a charming city. Be sure to allow your self ample time to explore it and its many wonderful buildings and historic monuments.

Buen Camino,

Good luck! Also, its best to pack light. Most people pack much more than needed...I found that you can buy what you need on the Camino, worst case.

Buen Camino!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Chris
Many thanks for you message. And thanks for a great website/blog which I am reading intently as I try and sort out my bag, throwing stuff out!!
Tim

Buen camino first timer ! You do well to travel as lightly as poss. I have read posts in which people worry about getting enough food and water, and wondering if they shoud take everything but the kitchen sink with them. I've never heard of anyone starving to death on the camino -at least not in modern times. The camino is a good way of disencumbering ouselves from a load of material, and mental clutter. It certainly made me look at life in a new dimension.
Ultreia !

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.