• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introductions

Gigi-Cordelia

Hello, My name is Gisele, I a French-Canadian 72 year old woman. 3 women friends and I are planning to walk from St-Jean Pied de Port to Santiago from March 17, 2007 to April 14, 2007. Since we only have a month to do so we are planning to bus or taxi part of the Camino especially on rainy or snowy days. I will have a lot of questions to previous pilgrims and I am hoping that this forum will be very helpful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re.; Honto

HI Ulysse,

Thank you for the offer of anwering questions. We are planning to walk to Honto from St-Jean Pied de Port on the first afternoon after having visited St-Jean and arranging for our credentials. We might even try to reach Orisson if weather permits. The starting date will be March 18, 2007.

1) Can we send our backpacks from St-Jean Pied de Port to either of these small villages on the first day?

2) On the second day can we have our Backpacks picked up at either village and send them to Roncesvalles? We plan to carry our backpacks ourselves once the Pyrennies are ove.

3) Did you have problem with lice in the albergues? If, yes is there a remedy?

I will surely have more questions soon. Thanks for your help.

Gisele

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mountains in March

I plan to walk from SJPP at about the same date as you. I have thought that in March I can not walk the mountain-route, but must follow the other route that goes a bit lower - along the road. As you, I have planned to have a day in SJPP to get a credential and find out if I can cross the mountain-route. I am quite sure I can NOT plan now to take that route. I must see when I am therein SJPP. Anybody else: Must one think like that when we talk about end of March? Bjorg

Can we send our backpacks from St-Jean Pied de Port to either of these small villages on the first day?

Yes you can. You should be able to reach Orisson without problems if the weather is ok. You should make plans to take the road to Valcarlos if it rains hard or if it snows. People in StJPdeP will give you the right advice. By the way Hunto is just a farm (gite fermier) and one building, Orisson is just the auberge. You can see both on my website.

On the second day can we have our Backpacks picked up at either village and send them to Roncesvalles?

I am not sure but it seems possible (anything is possible if you pay !)

Did you have problem with lice in the albergues?

Not with lice but I had bed bugs problems after Astorga (in a nice private albergue...) What I did was to stop early at a hostal, did a complete wash of clothes and sleeping bag (the weather was hot and windy) and treated myself with alcool soaked towelettes to prevent any infection. After 3 days the itching stopped and the red spots went away.

As a preparation you should walk as much as you can, with and without pack, despite the fact that nothing will really prepare you for this except doing the camino itself. Hard but so rewarding.

As for raingear (I had a lot of rain in Sep in Galicia) you should buy a good poncho with hood (pélerine) but I could not find any in Montréal. In sports stores in France and Spain they have good equipment; maybe you should investigate if you could buy over internet a good poncho.

Hope it helps. Do not hesitate if you have other questions.

Re: Mountains in March

bjorgts said:
I plan to walk from SJPP at about the same date as you. I have thought that in March I can not walk the mountain-route, but must follow the other route that goes a bit lower - along the road. As you, I have planned to have a day in SJPP to get a credential and find out if I can cross the mountain-route. I am quite sure I can NOT plan now to take that route. I must see when I am therein SJPP. Anybody else: Must one think like that when we talk about end of March? Bjorg

Hi Bjorg,

We will start walking March 17, 2007. Like you, we will make our mind up which route to take to Roncesvalles depending on the weather. We have only a month or more like 26 days to get to Santiago so we think that the days that the weather is really bad we will take taxis, or buses. Or we might not walk the Meseta and bus from Burgos to Leon. Sil, a forum participant, has a great list of what to pack. I can send it to you if you give me your email address.
Let's keep in touch
Gisele

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for your reply. I have been walking parts of different caminos in Spain each spring for the last four years, so generally I think that I am guite well prepared for walking the French route from SJPP to Santiago now. But I have never crossed the Pyrennies in March. I think the local people must tell us, when we are there, if it is possible to walk the mountain-route or not. High mountains in bad weather can be dangerous. There are some bad storries. In Norway we have more knowledge of mountains than of Mesetas..... :wink:
I will start some days later than you, and I have more time, so may be we will not meet. Could have been nice. We will see... :?:

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.