• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

iPhone 3 is unlocked!! Hooray!

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Thanks to information found on the forum today, I called AT&T and they have unlocked my iPhone3 so I will be able to purchase a sim card in Spain and use it.
'
I'm so happy!

The contract was finished and I've had the phone over 2 years.
There was no problem doing it.
It was free and did not affect my current plan.

So... if you have an iPhone3 with AT&T you can dial 611 and ask if your phone qualifies and voila!

:::Doing a happy dance::::

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
HOoray is the right word to use as an unlocked smartphone with a Spanish SIM card will unlock enough Apps to assist you to fully savor the 21st Century Camino. There are many things you can do without an internet connection apart from phoning, inter alia, open the eBook to look at your library of places to stay, addresses, route distances, maps which you can zoom with your fingers, etc. Write notes, copy and transfer pictures from your camera card (buy the SD Card attachment separately), and more. With a wireless or bluetooth internet connection you need not hog the computers to check mail, speak to home anywhere in the world free on Skype or Viber or other multitude free VOIP phones such as Freetime, use voice memo to record notes for the day for later transcribing, check weather, dictionary and translator, convert units and currency, see news, check flights,etc. There are excellent finger drawing Apps so you can sketch to add separate illustrations, in addition to any photos you have taken. I do not wish to info overload you.
You should take into account that you can do all that on a data plan if you do not have an internet connection, you will be able to connect to the internet though 3G or 4G. It will as Evanlow says cost a bomb to use, and to be used only in an emergency, make sure the 3G is not switched on automatically.
The other thing to watch out is that the iPhone is power hungry, use it sparingly with minimal Apps, switch it off completely when not in use. Consider carrying a spare power pack which you can charge and use outside the iPhone, it keeps the worry of guarding a charging iPhone. Or a solar trickle charger on your backpack.
Evan Low on this forum is a tech guru and it will be exciting to read of his adventure, particularly the tech geek side of his Camino, when he in on the Camino in May/June/July. It is a relief to see that those with tech phobia getting less strident in this forum condemning the use of modern equipment in the Camino. It is a personal Camino for everyone and I wish you and Evan Low a Buen Camino.
I too am clicking my heels and doing the dance for our fellow smartphone, iPod and iPad users on the Camino.
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Joe,

Don't do that. This is too much for me to take. :0

I am just like any other pilgrim that wanted to be contactable (not everyone) on the camino without paying a bomb and at the same time not to be distracted during the camino.

In May, I intend to switch my iPhone to flight mode (all radios off) while I am walking. The data connectivity is only for after the walk to blog or facebook maybe a photo a day.WhatsApp (Text message via the internet) for the ones back home to let them know I am still alive and Skype only when there is WIFI. The SIM card's call credits are probably going to be used only to call the hospitaleros if the albergue is locked (happens in less popular routes).

With that kind of battery usage, there should be no need to carry any extra external battery pack (less weight and complexity).

It's good that in Asia contract phones are never locked. I am very happy for Annie that AT&T has decided to unlock the phone that have passed their contract period. I am dancing for you too. :)

Technology shouldn't get in the way of the Camino. And I will still be writing my journal on a paper pad. :)

I probably don't need the phone for all of those wonderful things either! lol

I mainly will be calling ahead to confirm lodging, checking email, and possibly sending out registrations for the September walkers.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to take the iPAD also.
I think it will be easier to answer mail on it.

Will I need an iPAD SIM card to use the iPAD in Wi-Fi areas to send mail?
Most of my hotels advertise wi-fi.
Sorry to ask but am absolutely electronically illiterate.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Some random notes which might fit this thread....

-One of the fastest ways to get an unlocked smart phone in the US is through T-Mobile. They will unlock your phone after three months. They do not support the IPhone, so apple addicts are out of luck.

--I recently picked up a refurbished IPad2 from AT&T cheaper than any ebay deal. They only require a one month $14.95 service contract. The SIM card can be changed to a local one in Europe. A Verizon Ipad will not take a European SIM.

--I do a lot of outlying less travelled routes and use GPS. I don't use the phone apps, I use a separate hikers GPS, which is waterproof, runs forever on AA batteries and has every road in Europe on a micro SD card.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Evanlow, do you know if you can store maps with that app?
Kits.. do you know if the Gaia GPS app mentioned in the blog works in Spain?

Annie,

You can't. The app is preinstalled with the Maps in Spain. Each country has it own app. Here are the list:

Navfree GPS Live Argentina
Navfree GPS Live Australia & New Zealand
Navfree GPS Live Austria
Navfree GPS Live Benelux
Navfree GPS Live Brazil
Navfree GPS Live Canada
Navfree GPS Live Denmark
Navfree GPS Live Finland
Navfree GPS Live France
Navfree GPS Live Germany
Navfree GPS Live India
Navfree GPS Live Italy
Navfree GPS Live Mexico
Navfree GPS Live Netherlands
Navfree GPS Live Norway
Navfree GPS Live Portugal
Navfree GPS Live South Africa
Navfree GPS Live Spain
Navfree GPS Live Sweden
Navfree GPS Live Switzerland
Navfree GPS Live UK & ROI
Navfree GPS Live USA

You can try it by downloading the Navfree USA app. It works best outdoors using the iPhone's GPS and as I have said, no need for internet as the Maps are already in the app.

Anniesantiago said:
Kits.. do you know if the Gaia GPS app mentioned in the blog works in Spain?

I don't know about Gaia, as I installed the app "GPS Kit" on my phone, for the Prague-Nuremberg walk starting in a few weeks. I was able to load and cache topo maps for the area (which will be available to me offline now), as well as importing a file (from the German pilgrim site) with the route waypoints. The route track shows up as an overlay on the maps (very nice since the guidebook is auf Deutsch und ich spreche nur ein bisschen Deutsch).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Anniesantiago wrote:
Will I need an iPAD SIM card to use the iPAD in Wi-Fi areas to send mail?
The short answer is no, the iPad will work on wifi to send and receive mail, plus a host of other things including talking and video conferencing free with other iPhone/Ipad users on Skype/Facetime etc.

The SIM card for the Ipad is only necessary if you want to mail and surf when there is no internet, it is a very expensive way of communicating even if you use a local SIM card with no wifi available. The iPad is not locked as the USA iPhones. Hope this answers your question which seems to have been missed by the other experts.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I will also be testing this app in May on the camino.

Dr. Eye Spanish/English dictionary.

http://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/spanish- ... 41885?mt=8

I got it for free as there was a special for 1 weekend a few months back. Unfortunately it is now back to 9.99 (still reasonable for language apps).

I like the fact one can enter either Spanish or English straight away, making the input more efficient. Will update on how well this works after my camino. Only for Spanish Luddite like me. :)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back