• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irish Pilgrim

Bright Eyes

Hello all,

Thought I should introduce myself as I feel I will be trawling through this forum quite alot as I prepare for my pilgrimage in early September.

I'm 25 from Ireland and learned of the Way of St James from a German Lady as I walked around The Kerry Way on the West coast of Ireland. This was a relatively short walk(about Ten Days 213km) compared to the Camino considering I think I may be walking for about ten weeks starting from LePuy or Arles(havent decided yet).

When I tell people Im doing this walk, most ask WHY? hehe which makes me smile, maybe the answer I tell them is that I can't remember the last time i was out of the city for more than two weeks, this goes right back to my childhood.

But I suppose my real reason is that as I walk the final steps and find myself in Santiago de Compostela sometime in November, I hope to also have found in myself directions as to which path I should follow for the rest of my life. where my calling lies is another way of saying it.

I dont expect to find it but I'm sure ten weeks away from the noise of the city and immersed in the natural beauty will do wonders for my body and soul.

I've already found this forum very helpful and would like to thank all concerned in advance.

Bright Eyes

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am sure you will find something about yourself, and others, on the Camino Bright Eyes.

Being retired, people and friends also asked me why I was doing this; some, I'm sure, believed I turned nuts upon leaving my job... I still don't know to this day why I did this, but I think everyday about the Camino and sincerely hope to be able to get back one day, on another route.

Go Bright Eyes and enjoy every moment of it. Buen Camino.

Welcome, Bright Eyes! This forum will be your first albergue, with a host of hospitaleros assisting you. As you may notice, you are already on your Camino.

Mark

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
...The Kerry Way .... (The Caminos)...most ask WHY? ... the answer I tell them is found in myself directions ...dont expect to find it ...wonders for my body and soul.

Welcome Bright Eyes. Thanks for talking about The Kerry Way, first time I hear about it, sounds interesting. Do u make reservations for accomodations? How crowded does it get in the summertime? Take time to check out this web page, u may find answers to ur questions. For years I've been asking myself WHY?, too, a lot of us have and still do. I've resumed it to a smile + "I like to walk," it's such a deep and personal experience. Ye, go with no expectations. For u: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDOTJHbwRj4 Buen Camino, xm 8)

Thank you all for the good wishes and words of encouragement, I cant express how excited iam in my preparation.

The Kerry way is Magnificient, but I will say its tough going. Some of the route is not marked very well and also the towns and hostels can be far apart especially though the black valley where you will be walking 3 days with only one hostel along the way so you will be camping out at least one night. A;so being Ireland, the weather is unpredicable all year round. But I was carrying too much weight as the inexperienced walk i'am. The way will not be crowded in any way, It wasnt unusual for me to walk for hours with only meeting one or two people. It really is worthwhile tho, the local people are so friendly and the views are breathtaking. You really are walking thru old rural Ireland with the lakes and white cottages, goats and ancient standing stones, also some beautiful beaches. And then when you arrive in one of the small towns, a pint of guinness and traditional irish music await you. I met so many nice people, I loved it.

http://www.kerryway.net/

http://bamjam.net/Ireland/Kerry.html

Bright Eyes, thanks for the info + the web sites, got them bookmarked... uuf, the K Way sounds like my cup o' tea! Buen Camino, xm 8)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Camino in September

Hi Bright Eyes, I walked from SJPdP to Fromista last September and I'm going back in June with my wife to continue to Santiago. you will meet loads of Irish, the first night in St J there were 12 of us in the hostel. I kept bumping into a few of them as I went westwards. 2 mad ones from the West, one from Sligo and other from Galway.

The weather is lovely then but be prepared for some rain.

Go n'eiri an bothar leat !

pabloneill, thanks for the great links, I boomarked them. Don't hesitate to share more! Buen Camino, xm 8)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
johnalexander, thanks. U guys (pabloneill 2) have no idea how long I've been searching for "roads" in Ireland! Let me know if u think of others. Best, xm 8)

XM

Have you looked at http://www.walkireland.ie/homepage.aspx?

Here is something I ran across on the North American National Shrine OL&M.
Some tips for a meaningful pilgrimage...
• If you aren't familiar with the Mohawk Valley, make sure to dress in layers and bring warm clothes. The temperature can vary a lot as the day progresses, especially in spring and fall.
• Bring bug spray if you plan to go into the Ravine. At certain times through the summer, the mosquitos can be thick by the stream there. (Click here for a mosquito forecast.)

Sounds more like purgatory – talking of which http://www.loughderg.org/index.cfm/area/main

Regards
michael

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah, great, thanks Michael, bookmarked it! Pretty soon am gonna be walking all of Ireland! Buen Camino, xm 8)

Hi Bright eyes and Pablo.

I too am from Ireland, Dublin and I am starting in SJPP on 26th may laong with 5 other Irish walkers including two from Wicklow and one from Galway.
There is lots of good walking in Ireland, Wicklow is incredibly beautiful. I have done the Wicklow way a few times, great walk.

Brian

Hi BrightEyes,

I am also intending to walk early Sept and although I am from Australia I will be setting out from Dublin. My very rough plan was to fly from Dublin to Biarritz then by train from there to SJPdP. Obviously trying to organise flights etc from afar is difficult, not sure what is right or wrong
What are your travel plans? I would be interested to know if there is a better way of getting to SJPdP.
I will be arriving in Dublin about the 1 Sept, layz for a day or two and hopefully beginning my walk out of SJPdP on the 5th or 6th

Any thoughts would be welcomed

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It's pretty easy to get to St JdP from Dublin

Fly Ryanair to Biarritz, when you exit the airport take a bus to Bayonne Gare ( cost 1.5 euro) from Bayonne get a train to St Jean (cost 8 euro).
The train journey itself is wonderfull , a long winding track through the mountains following a lovely little river.

BTW when you exit the Airport in Biarritz you will see a taxi rank offering taxis to Bayonne , they cost about 20 euro.

BTW when in Dublin take a few minutes to visit the Guinness brewery and get a the first sello on your credential there. St James Gate is the official name of the brewery and in the middle ages was the starting poinf for irish pilgrims going to Santiago.

Thanks for that, sounds easy enough. I will most certainly visit St James Gate. I think the old brewery had more atmosphere but the view now over Dublin is great.

Thanks again

Hello all!

Another Irish Pilgrim here too! Myself, my father and 2 uncles are walking from Sarria to Santiago de C. from this weekend. This will be our first time on the Camino and we are really looking forward to it.

My mother, who was a great walker , sadly passed away last year. She had often spoken of walking the Camino, so we've decided to give it a go this year in her memory. The weather forecast isn't great but I'm sure we'll have some craic!

I've got to agree with previous posters regarding walking in Wicklow. We do a lot of walking in this area and it is truly beautiful - and so handy from Dublin.

Buen camino folks ! :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.