• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irun start versus SJPdP

jpflavin1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2024 unknown starting 4/1 from somewhere.
I walked the Camino Vasco this Spring. It was a very enjoyable hike without the congestion of the Frances. A combination of farmland, small towns, city walkways, mountains and wine country. I would recommend this as another starting point versus SJPdP. You could even walk there or start walking from Bayonne 30km's. I am really surprised by how little this route is walked. It connects to the Frances at Santo Domingo de Calzada or Burgos. It is well marked and offers a variety of different types of walking.

This route offers a more gentle start than SJPdP. Starting in Irun and walking through the Valley from the coastal cities into the mountains. several days in there is a great climb up the mountain to a tunnel through the mountains followed by several days walking through small towns and vineyards to the wine country of Brinas and Haro before joining the Camino Frances in Santo Domingo de Calzada.

This route is a seven to nine day hike and, imo, a great option to starting in SJPdP. The infrastructure is not as good as the Frances but I never had a problem finding a place to sleep or eat.

Ultreya,
Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That sounds very interesting, Joe. I have become pretty disillusiond with the SJPP start due to the large numbers of Pilgrims now..at least again earlier this year. It would be great to start from a new point.

Grayland:

This is actually a great starting point for several reason, imo.

You do not need to travel the last leg to SJPdP.

The route offers all the scenery, challenges and more that the French route offers. You can actually start in France (Bayonne). One additional day of hiking about 30km.

There are very few Pilgrims and while there are not as many accommodations there are plenty and they provide a list at each Albergue.

The route begins much more gently than SJPdP, which allows your body to ease its way into the hike.

You have options along the way of traveling more rugged or less. You can also choose between exiting this route at either Burgos or Santo Domingo de Calzada to connect to the Frances.

It offers a very steep climb (1100m) just outside of Zegema that goes through a 70m tunnel near the top of the mountain.

Finishes in the wine country around Brinas and Haro.

It is a great route. I would be willing to share my limited notes with anyone wanting to try this Route (Camino Vasco or the tunnel route).

There is additional information on this route under the Camino Vasco.

It just seems like a great alternative to starting in SJPdP.

Ultreya,
Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wayfarer:

The purpose of my posting under Camino Frances is to offer this as an option to starting your Frances hike here (Irun/Bayonne) versus SJPdP.

There is a lot of information on this route under the Camino Vasco (tunnel route). There are several other regulars that have made posts on this route.

If anyone would like particulars on my hike feel free to PM me for additional information.

Ultreya,
Joe

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Folks, Just returned from Camino. Arrived Santiago 23 Oct.
I started in Bayonne from the Cathedral walking the Baztan way to Pamplona. Takes about 5 days at an easy pace. We left on 14 Sept and encountered NO pilgrims until Pamplona. Check it out. really beautiful Basque country.
Ken

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back