• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irun to Santiago

totoroandmei

New to the fourm and thinking about walking from Irun to Santiago if I have enough time.

I know it is hard as everyone has their own pace but for planning purposes how long does it take from Irun to Santiago and what is the "average" amount of walking per day? I need to book a flight out.

Thank you in advance

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi allow yourself at least 35 days, you probably can do it quicker but with the weather turning a lot of the natural paths into quagmires, unexpected events and days off give yourself that bit of time extra. The distance is around the 830km mark and the camino is a bit harder on the feet than the Frances.

I took 26 days to get to Oviedo from Irun but I was taking it easy. So it depends on your pace.

Totoro
The simple answer is - if you have the luxury of time, give yourself as much as you can. I'd recommend 40 days, which will give you loads of options as to how to get the best out of your camino. You won't have to rush, will be able to do some half-day slacking along the beaches a.k.a 'blister recovery time', take days off in Bilbao and Santiago if you want, walk at the same speed as any excellent people you meet and fall in with. And, if you find you are still going too quickly, walk on to Finisterre or Muxia (3 days) after you've reached Santiago.
Cheers, tom

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have just completed the camino and averaged around 30 km a day which I found gave me time to see what was around and enjoy the experience. I left Irun on the 1st June, arrived in Santiago on the 26th and Finisterre on the 30th. An amazing experience, just do it. The amount of time depends entirely on you. Enjoy it, it is amazing.

I would like to hike the entire camino del norte but only have 10 days. would it be easier to fly to pamplona take train to Irun. Walk to Santander then fly home from here, then do the rest next year?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Watching this tread as i will be on Norte starting irun on May Day, no time restraints, 40 days, I won't stop in Santiago but straigh to finnestere and muxia, maybe camino ingles as well Buen camino

Hi, I will start my walk in Irun June 3rd. Where can I find litterature and maps about the route? Best, Kim

Hola Kim and welcome. There are several guides available. We like the Cicerone guide The Northern Caminos (available on Amazon), the CSJ guides (2 booklets) Los Caminos del Norte A; Ruta de La Costa 1 & 2. Then there are on-line guides, our favourite is Gronze as it has good elevations, simple maps with distances and lists of accomodation. It is in Spanish, but the outline is easy to follow. We tend to use a combination of all 3 when planning, and make notes in our CSJ guides to actually carry with us.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola Kim and welcome. There are several guides available. We like the Cicerone guide The Northern Caminos (available on Amazon), the CSJ guides (2 booklets) Los Caminos del Norte A; Ruta de La Costa 1 & 2. Then there are on-line guides, our favourite is Gronze as it has good elevations, simple maps with distances and lists of accomodation. It is in Spanish, but the outline is easy to follow. We tend to use a combination of all 3 when planning, and make notes in our CSJ guides to actually carry with us.

Hola Tia! Thank you so much! I will have a look at them. I will probably buy my flight ticket tomorrow, flying from Stockholm to San Sebastian. From San Sebastian, it seems easy to get to Irun.

Tia,

You can translate a lot of the websites that are in Spanish, or other languages for that matter, into english.

1). Starting with a clean, fresh Internet Explorer (browser) page, type in "google" in the URL (top of the screen/page). When the "google" website comes up, there will be a search box going left to right accross the page under the Google multi colered Logo/Name
2). Type. In "gronze.com". As you are typing, options will begin showing at the left of the page with "Translate this page" showing next to "www.gronze.com".
3). Click on "Translate this page. The website (gronze.com) will come up in English. When you click on any of the caminos, they will also come up in English, as will albergues, hotels and pensions.

This really helped me plan for my end of April Camino del Norte.

P

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi allow yourself at least 35 days, you probably can do it quicker but with the weather turning a lot of the natural paths into quagmires, unexpected events and days off give yourself that bit of time extra. The distance is around the 830km mark and the camino is a bit harder on the feet than the Frances.

I took 26 days to get to Oviedo from Irun but I was taking it easy. So it depends on your pace.
The hostal in Irun can you refresh my memory on where it is stayed there in 2010.

@Walking Viking . Thanks for the translation tip. We speak Spanish but it will be really helpful for those who don't. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The hostal in Irun can you refresh my memory on where it is stayed there in 2010.
Not really sure where it is, I had walked down the Voie littoral for 9 days previous to arriving and followed the arrows and markers without having maps, do remember that it was on the first floor of flats in a residential street. Gronze usually have a map with details of albergues.

And as if by magic the next thread I looked at had a map of the albergue. Have a look the Vasco del Interior topics Anniethenurse has posted a screen shot of a map which shows the Albergue in a new post.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.