• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Arriving in Irun

pmozen

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hello All!
I'm planning my Norte Camino to begin in mid-May and go through Mid-June. I'll be coming from U.S. and planning to arrive in Bilbao and need advice on how to get to IRUN. I've been told there are trains but have yet to find anything through Renfre or Euskotren. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's possible (probable) that the train schedule for May is not yet available.
And according to Rome2Rio.com, the bus will be faster.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello All!
I'm planning my Norte Camino to begin in mid-May and go through Mid-June. I'll be coming from U.S. and planning to arrive in Bilbao and need advice on how to get to IRUN. I've been told there are trains but have yet to find anything through Renfre or Euskotren. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.
There is an option to stay 2 nights in San Sebastián and take an early morning bus to Irun and walk back (meaning you can leave your pack in San Sebastian). Worked for me anyway!

As suggested by @trecile - the ALSA bus. I've recently looked into this for a family member who will be travelling from Bilbao to Irun in about 10 days from now. The ALSA bus was the quickest option. The journey takes 1h 50 mins - and has one stop in San Sebastian, if you want to do what @TravellingMan22 suggests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Take the train if you have time, realx and see the beautiful scenery, especially along the coast that you'll be walking back along. It is straightforward and not expensive despite needing a change. They won't show results that far in advance, but for example if you put in dates now you get many options such as below:
1708084554444.png

Or fly into Bayonne and start walking from there! It’s a beautiful walk along the coastline to Irun and you can literally start from the airport without any need for a bus or train

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Euskotren timetables are here: www.euskotren.eus/en/tren/schedules
I believe it's line E1 from Bilbao to Amara Donostia (San Sebastian) then line E2 from Amara Donostia to Irun.
As there's a change, you might be more comfortable choosing bus. But I love the clean, new, cheap, easy Euskotren trains.
This is a small station with all platforms close together so transfer from one train to another is simple.
There's also a toilet in that area of station!

Follow up to Vacajoe's comment. There is hostel in Biarritz on the Camino in La Negresse which is only one day's walk from Irun. It is close to the airport and train station.

Walking from Biarritz is definitely a good option, if you are flying into Biarritz. It's an easy walk along the Coast. If Bilbao, I'd go with the ALSA bus.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We flew into Madrid, then caught an inexpensive flight to the San Sebastián Airport. It’s actually in Irun, and a five minute taxi ride takes you right to the city center.

I took a train from the French side to Hendaye and walked from there myself, BUT people who I met on the Norte took the train from Bilbao and loved the views. You will see the trail :)

It's possible (probable) that the train schedule for May is not yet available.
And according to Rome2Rio.com, the bus will be faster.

this is highly likely

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We flew into Madrid, then caught an inexpensive flight to the San Sebastián Airport. It’s actually in Irun, and a five minute taxi ride takes you right to the city center.
If you’re flying from Madrid, @pmozen, you’d save a lot of time by flying right into San Sebastián, instead of flying to Bilbao and then taking a bus or train to Irún, as @jterzino suggests. Even better than a five minute taxi ride, the SS airport is only about a 20 minute walk from the airport to downtown Irún. And unlike walking out of some other airports, this is totally safe and protected from traffic.

Just to add some more info:
The main bus service between Bilbao and Donostia/San Sebastian is run by PESA.
There are buses from Bilbao airport and Bilbao intermodal (the bus station) to Donostia, from where you can catch the "Topo" (Euskotren) or bus to Irun. The travel duration is about 1:30 h.
The Euskotren station (Amara) is about 10 min walking distance from the Donostia bus station. Do not confuse this with the RENFE station, which is just next to the train station.
Please also have a look at BlaBlaCar bus, which is cheaper thatn the PESA.
ALSA also has a couple of services per day from Bilbo to Donosti.

As suggested by others, Euskotren from Bilbao is another option, and takes about 3 hours to reach Irun from Bilbo.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.