• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Albergue De Peregrinos Armenteira closed?

Brightmore

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hello all!

Quick update and question.

My partner and I booked a private room in the above Albergue and recently received an email cancelling the reservation and advising us to contact the local government for more information or to complain, with the strong indication there has been a disagreement and the albergue will or has closed. It was confusing to say the least.

Does anyone know what had happened? I can see from the reviews that some people weren’t happy with it taking reservations, as a municipal albergue. This has left a town with very few options practically without accommodation.

So, is Albergue De Peregrinos Armenteira closed? If so, do you know of any affordable alternatives? I can see a place near by for €70, and a monetary that doesn’t take reservations, but that’s it.

Thanks in advance!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've stayed there in 2019 when from memory they did not take reservations. I do not know the current situation there, but I also notice over the past several years that a few munis are taking advance reservations. My first experience noticing this was in 2017 at the muni in Valcarlos. We just walked in, but a few others had reserved beds.

I wrote to the Albergue De Peregrinos Armenteira (municipal) about two weeks ago inquiring about reservation, and didn't hear back from them. I wonder if this implied dispute with the local government is why. Per this thread from 2023 and the Albergues del Camino de Santiago website, they did indeed take reservations, though it was a recent change in the last few years. (That is, Camino Chrissy's recollection that they did not take reservations in 2019 would be correct, but they changed to taking reservations in the last few years).

You are correct about the Armenteira Monastery, they no longer take reservations per their website here. I had written to the Monastery earlier this winter and Hermana Paula kindly let me know that indeed they will still take pilgrims, but only on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Because I'm much too anxious, I booked at Carballo de Prado 1900 which has really good reviews. Should be 75 euros for two people, one room. They offer free pickup from Armenteira Monastery starting from 4pm, and I believe will also deliver you back to the Monastery the next day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wrote to the Albergue De Peregrinos Armenteira (municipal) about two weeks ago inquiring about reservation, and didn't hear back from them. I wonder if this implied dispute with the local government is why. Per this thread from 2023 and the Albergues del Camino de Santiago website, they did indeed take reservations, though it was a recent change in the last few years. (That is, Camino Chrissy's recollection that they did not take reservations in 2019 would be correct, but they changed to taking reservations in the last few years).

You are correct about the Armenteira Monastery, they no longer take reservations per their website here. I had written to the Monastery earlier this winter and Hermana Paula kindly let me know that indeed they will still take pilgrims, but only on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Because I'm much too anxious, I booked at Carballo de Prado 1900 which has really good reviews. Should be 75 euros for two people, one room. They offer free pickup from Armenteira Monastery starting from 4pm, and I believe will also deliver you back to the Monastery the next day.
Thank you. Sorry to hear you’re having such hastle. I am similarly anxious in palces with so few options.

There's a post on their Facebook page saying there is a problem with the roof and they will not be welcoming peregrinos until it is fixed

They also say that there will be changes in who manages it so they are not taking reservations

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
What a wonderful day walking by the sea! My backpack felt good, my dry bag with poncho strategically clipped to the outside was handy! My first stop was in a bakery cafe near the mouth of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.