• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it too early to start counting sleeps?

YvonneMP

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Sept/Oct (2018)
Frances,Sept/Oct (2022)
My husband and I are starting our first Camino on Sept 12th from Pamplona. We are from Calgary Canada and are in our mid 60’s.
The flights are booked, gear is ready, “plans” are forming. This forum has been so helpful.
Let the games begin....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome!
September/October is a very good time to walk the Camino Frances - the meseta may have been harvested, so a good place and time for reflection and introspection. There are places where you can smell the change of the season as summer eases into fall. The mountains at Cruz de Fero and O'Cebreiro are beautiful in the autumn, as is the Beirzo Valley and Galicia. I have so many good memories of walking in the fall in the morning with the sun rising behind me, long shadows, pushing me onward (I also enjoyed walking in the spring...;)). You will meet many people from all over the world. It will be magical when you walk into the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!
Buen Camino!
--jim--

I agree, Fall is beautiful on the Camino. Which route are you walking? I walked the Camino Frances in the Fall of 2015. Next year I'll be walking it in the Winter (Feb/Mar). I hope you have a fabulous experience! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not yet counting days, though starting my first Camino probably on August 30th from SJDJP or Pamplona - I haven't decided finally. There are so many days to go ....;)

But I still want to wind up some chores which are important to me, and that will still take a couple of days. So I'm glad, there are still same days to clear up everything.

I've a faint idea which path there'll be for me after my Camino, but I want to start afresh when flying back from SdC to my hometown. Open to any path I'll decide to walk forward at that time.

So, sorry to say: I don't want my games to begin now ;). I do need the next couple of days/weeks to prepare, that everything will be fine for me start my Camino :) ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
you should see what Efren Gonzalez carried on the CF! He's starting the Via Francigena today and now has a gear trolly lol if you don't know him his CF videos are top notch!

here's his summary video:

but he also drone videos every City and vlogged all 37 days to Finisterre

I'm not connected to him but it's all well done work

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome from an ex-Edmontonian. I will also be starting my next Camino on September 12th, but from Porto. It's never to early to start counting sleeps; although I must admit that for me it's been counting down the months this time. Buen Camino!

IS IT TOO EARLY TO START COUNTING SLEEPS!!

Anticipation is a wonderful part of your camino. Hope it does not keep you awake! I would think that prep walking would make sleeping easier! Buen Camino!

My husband and I are starting our first Camino on Sept 12th from Pamplona. We are from Calgary Canada and are in our mid 60’s.
The flights are booked, gear is ready, “plans” are forming. This forum has been so helpful.
Let the games begin....
Well, I leave from SJPP on 29 September, and I didn’t have to look it up to know I have 72 sleeps until I leave my downunder home and 74 until I walk... Actually, this is progress: last time I was actively counting from about 20 weeks out...
Never too early. Never.

IS IT TOO EARLY TO START COUNTING SLEEPS!!

Anticipation is a wonderful part of your camino. Hope it does not keep you awake! I would think that prep walking would make sleeping easier! Buen Camino!
Yes, we have been prep walking, complete with coffee breaks and taking time to enjoy the wildflowers. .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Don't count your sleeps, not even when you're actually on the Camino itself -- don't set yourself a timetable to race against, as much as possible ensure that your return flight is changeable according to need, take each next day and each next night exactly as organically as each next step.

Just my advice.

Don't count your sleeps, not even when you're actually on the Camino itself -- don't set yourself a timetable to race against, as much as possible ensure that your return flight is changeable according to need, take each next day and each next night exactly as organically as each next step.

Just my advice.
Once on the Camino, I know I won’t be counting my sleeps or steps. Only my blessings!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@YvonneMP , kia ora (greetings) from way down under.

At the risk of being thought the grinch what stole Christmas ... Noting you are about eight weeks away from starting at Pamplona just a few observations.

I hope you continue to, sensibly, maintain (or gently increase) your stamina and fitness levels for both mind and body.

A regime I suggest walkers consider includes working up to regulalry achieving:
1) 15 km before stopping for breakfast
2) 400 m of elevation gain before stopping ...
You would know best if walking tracks near Canmore etc would be suitable. Or do what other have done: subsitute walking up and down stairs between many floors in high rise buildings. Whatever, the purpose is to arrive at intended destinations with ease and have a reserve to go on if need be.

And all so that you have energy to enjoy what is around you.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Welcome to the forum from another Albertan (Coronation, AB)! I'm returning to the Camino this September, starting at Leon about the 19th. Perhaps our paths will cross. Buen camino!

Let the games begin....
My husband and I/ same ages, walked last year at the same time and it was beautiful. Make sure you are OK making the Camino what you need it to be! We will be heading back to Spain next year after getting a new hip or two!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Im 36 sleeps away...I can't wait! Yikes! Im just ready to go!!!
Darn family commitments! Cant those people get married another time? I have my Camino to get to!!!

I actually read "counting steps" when I read the title, and though "Omg, it will be an enourmous number by the time they reach Santiago!"

Have a great camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back