• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Italian, and in love with the Camino

moromauro

moromauro
Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho de los Faros, in Galicia
Hi everyone!
I'm Maurizio and maybe i'm not actually a new member, having joined this forum some months ago!
Anyway, as this is my first post here, i write it in this section in order to briefly introduce myself.

I'm 49 y.o. and i live in Tuscany (Italy), in a country area located more or less at 35 Kms from Pisa and 50 Kms. from Florence; i work as an inspector for the National (actually: regional) Health Service, in what could be considered as the italian version of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration; my work consists mainly of controlling the food producing chain and to give the methodological support in order to maintain the quality certification (according to ISO rule 9001) my office got some years ago.

I "fell in love" with the "Camino" just 4 years ago when i was there for my first time, in may 2009, walking from Saint Jean pied-de-port to Santiago with a very good friend of mine: it was something that happened completely by chance, just because another acquaintance with whom i had previously planned a trekking route in Sardinia had to give up our plan, so my friend talked to me about that "Camino" i've never heard about before... and all began from that! :wink:

The Camino Francès was a bit crowded indeed but, hey!, what an experience!
All those people from all over the world, all those different lives & stories... inspirations... problems... expectations and, yet, that feeling to be a sort of community: i was almost astonished, but in a completely positive way.
Even an agnostic, as i actually am, can't avoid to get involved in that sense of "common ground" that, as human beings, includes us all.

Since then, every year i try to spend 2 to 4 weeks hiking along different routes, sometimes with my best friend and, when he can't come or stay long enough, even starting/continuing on my own: either on different spanish "Caminos" or along the "Via Francigena" that theoretically connects Canterbury (GB) with Rome (and Apulia and, from then, possibly Jerusalem) and is interconnected to the european network of trekking routes leading to Santiago as well (i should say: mainly!).

In may 2010 i walked from the wonderful Lucca (Tuscany, Italy) to Rome across Siena and the astonishing Chianti region, then in august we were on the delightful Camino del Norte (starting from Santander) but we had to stop in Gijon because we got picked by fleas in an Albergue and some of those insects got into our backpacks, apparently willing to join our travel :mrgreen: , so we had to stop and desinfect all things we carried with us and, after that, we were too worried about getting picked again and therefore went to Madrid for the remaining days (despite being a reasonably good hiker, i can also enjoy the city life and the "movida madrilena" as well! ...and there i finally got to see "Guernica", by Picasso: another extremely involving experience!).

In may 2011 we started together the "Via de la Plata" from Seville and, as we had planned in advance, my friend flew back to Italy after about 10 days, while i went on and got to Santiago passing by Camino Sanabrès and, after that,i walked to Fisterra: maybe my best experience of "Camino", both for the length and for the people i met: all of them were very nice and, if i can tell it, there was the "right number" of pilgrims for my preferences... i could walk alone during the day (something i usually prefer) but in the Albergues we always were a considerable amount of pilgrims/hikers, enough to build acquaintances, to exchange experiences and advices and to support each other.

In may 2012 we walked along another portion of the "Via Francigena", from Turin (it's along a secondary route that connects in Vercelli with the main one: its egyptian museum is one not to be missed!) to Piacenza and finally, in July, i walked again along two other pieces of the Camino del Norte: first from Bilbao (and its impressive Guggenheim museum) to Santander and then i jumped to Ribadesella (i didn't want to walk along the same route i already saw in 2010) and, from there, to Oviedo - Avilès and further on, stopping my walking in Ribadeo because my holiday period was practically over.

Usually i don't have the goal to get to Santiago quite every time i'm in Spain for hiking: when i have many days of vacation i choose the longer itineraries and actually try to get there, but i'm happy even when i have shorter holiday periods and manage to walk for a couple of weeks or so, always trying to pass, year after year, across new areas i've never walked through before.

At present i'm planning to walk along the "Camino de Madrid" in spring 2013 (probably in may) and, after the connection of that route with the "Francès" in Sahagun, possibly go further on (till Leòn? ...Astorga??)... so probably i'm going to post again on this forum, in the section about the "Camino de Madrid", in the following period!

See you there and...

Buen camino a todos!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola, Maurizio, and welcome!
You are a seasoned peregrino, I hope you will share your wisdom with the rest of us.
When you get to the "top" of the camino Madrid, I hope you will come straight north from Villalon de Campos, via Villada, and meet the Camino Frances in Moratinos instead of Sahagun -- we have an Italian albergue here now, run by Bruno and Michael from Brescia. Italians are always happy to stop there. (Sahagun is only 9 km west, you can be there the next day. If you are recovered by then from the pasta carbonara and tiramisu...)

Hi Rebekah,
thank you for your post & suggestion!

I've just looked at google maps, searching "Moratinos", and i think the option to pass by your place could be doable for me: i've seen on the map that the road from Villalòn leads almost directly to Moratinos and, if i can remember the condition of such roads in that area (i remember it quite well, having a vivid memory of the night when i slept in Calzadilla de la Cueza, 4 years ago), i can guess that the traffic is very low, therefore the walking is enjoyable.

Meeting some italian hospitalero in Spain would be something new to me and i'm sure it's nice, even if i also like meeting people from everywhere in the world (it's also a good opportunity to practice my poor english and spanish!); what's NOT going to be new to me, instead, is the need to recover from some dinner with pasta and tiramisĂą: it's a challenge i'm quite well trained to try! :p

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back