• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Itinerary

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
I tried out the godesalco.com site to put together my itinerary from Le Puy to SJPdP and came up with this. Does it sound reasonable? Any suggestions?

I thought the site was pretty good, although I didn't see any way to tell what the lodge options are, just that they're there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I plan to rest at least 2 days, but one of them is in SJPdP. Any suggestions for where to spend another rest day?

I was also wondering how long it takes to go about 25km, since that's my average. My unit converter says my longest stretch (33.4km) is about 21 miles and depending on how slow I go that could take 10 hours. Long day! I think that was along an easier stretch topographically, though.

I usually average about 4km per hour unless very tired to steeply uphill so that's what I generally work on. I find 20 -25 km in a day about right.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I plan to rest at least 2 days, but one of them is in SJPdP. Any suggestions for where to spend another rest day?

I was also wondering how long it takes to go about 25km, since that's my average. My unit converter says my longest stretch (33.4km) is about 21 miles and depending on how slow I go that could take 10 hours. Long day! I think that was along an easier stretch topographically, though.

I am a slow walker, 12 mns km, or 1hour 5 km, so 4 hrs to walk 20 km, etc, average for me 25 km in 6 hrs. My walking not for everybody Buen camino

Hi Biloute,
Good to see the slow start .
I have concerns about ,
[1 ] 33km from Estaing to Conques. We found the going hard because of recent rain especially the start , the GR was closed so we took the other route which was on the road for the first few km and the last km's into Conques can be very dangerous if wet.
[2] 30km from St Jean le Vieux to Roncesvalles whilst doable will be very hard. Most stay at Orrison when commencing but you will be warmed up one would think.
Still a hard slog.

If you are having a days rest @ St JPDP as indicated then the last paragraph is not applicable.

If the weather is a problem this itinerary will be hard mate , believe me.
We took the best part of a day when leaving Monistrol - d- Allier. The climb is just as hard as the first stage from St Jean Pied de Port to Orrison.
More dangerous if wet because you are on a grass path . You rise 500m in 4km and if raining you will HAVE to use the rope on the path beside the chapelle de Madelaine.
If the weather is fine have your camera ready for the most wonderful views.
The reason i mentioned this last bit is that this GR can become strenuous if raining so please don't book too far ahead until after the aubrac.

You stages are nearly 100% except i agree with Wayferer and Falcon who suggest a few extra days on the path.
Your body will tell you when to stop and have a rest day.

Thanks for the advice. I won't push myself past my limits, and it's good to hear which parts are more strenuous. I might end up going slower for a while because my mom is thinking of coming with me. She 67 and not in the best shape, currently.

As for booking ahead, I figured I'd play it by ear and see how it goes, not booking ahead more than the morning before I plan to arrive somewhere. I'll probably have a tent with me so if a place is full when I get there, I'd have a backup. I might add on a few days and set my flight for the next Monday, instead, which would give me some more wiggle room.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back