• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I've booked my flight!!! 1 May my journey starts :)

Oldsoldier

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk in May 2013
Hi everyone, I'm Craig from Staffordshire in UK and I'm 43 on Monday! As my birthday present to myself I finally took the plunge and booked my flight from Manchestee to Madrid on 1 May. It will be 1 week after I retire from the Army and I always wanted to use the Camino to reflect on my 23 yrs service. Time constraints mean I have to be back by 23rd so I am starting in Burgos.

But really, my journey starts from when I walk out of my front door. I'll get my train from Stafford wearing the gear I will predominantly wear throughout my journey (shorts, shirt, hat). I plan to stay overnight in Madrid before getting the bus to Burgos in the afternoon.

I hope to close the door on my previous life in the forces and come back refreshed for whatever life has to throw at me. Although i will be closing the door on my military life, I have fantastic memories and like all good soldiers, I have everything ready for my journey. I even have my shell!! Hope to meet some of you on The Way :)

Regards to everyone. Safe journey to you all!!

Craig

Craig

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked with a retired Ranger last fall. He wore his combat boots for support for an ankle injury. Every ache and pain he had acquired during his service came to the surface, but he survived and loved it!

Have a great walk!

Good on ya Craig! It will be like a walk in the park for a soldier. You'll enjoy the Meseta and then the hills of Galicia beyond. Perfect way to detune after army life. Just don't tell fellow pilgs how to clean their boots or make their bed because they might not agree! Ha ha! Buen Camino and thanks for your service. :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Enjoy Craig. I'm sure that you have found a lovely way to help ease you into your new life. And thank you for your service, I don't know that soldiers always realise that many appreciate their contribution to peace.
allan

Happy birthday Craig!!! What a wonderful gift to give yourself!! Good luck and be safe!
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.