• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jersey Girl feeling a strong tug to walk THE Walk

manifestdestinyLISA

I just found out about this pilgrimmage and I can not stop thinking about it!! 39th birthday coming up in September...I have been doing endless research and when I found this site with all of you pilgrims sharing info/experiences the idea seems so much more tangible.

Is it crazy to make the pilgrimmage with only 2 months planning? The hardest thing is finding airfare I can afford :shock: ...and figuring out how much it will cost to do the 30+ days.

Any suggestions/ feed back welcome....and blessings all along the road for everyone!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
September is a good time to go. :) I wish I had better news on the airfares though, but those will probably only go up from here on out. The rule of thumb is generally 1 Euro for every KM you plan to walk, or about 25 Euro per day.

As for physical preparation, how fit are you now? Start walking longer & longer distances now (look up training for half-marathons on line). Get your pack ready--the less stuff you take, the better.

Kelly

Hi,
Depending on your level of fitness, I don't think it is crazy to walk with only two months' planning time. I would suggest buying a very good pair of boots and start walking as soon as possible. I don't know if your dates are flexible or not but possibly you would find cheaper airfares from the U.S. in October. That might be a cooler, less croweded time to walk as well (I walked in March though so others will chime in on this). I flew from Washington D.C. on Iberia. To fly from D.C.-Madrid-Pamplona and return from Santiago-Madrid-D.C. was about the same price as the round trip from D.C. to Madrid so you might want to look into that. You will have the time of your life! Good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was the same way for my first attempt at the Camino. Short notice but a burning urge to give it a go... I live in Florida and the training I did, such as it was, was just not good enough. The ground is absolutely flat where I live, and I was hard-pressed to find a hill to train on so I resorted to stairwells and bridges for elevation! I put in some miles but the lack of variety in terrain sure proved itself when I tried to use my levelized-muscles from SJPP-Pamplona. Basically I pulled up short with muscle tears and had to give up the walk. However, for my 2nd Camino (from where I left off to SdC) I was unable to train much in advance, even tho' I was in a hilly environment, I knew to take it very slow in the beginning, ie. 12km days and listen to my body, resting when needed and I did not have a single physical complaint the whole journey. So, yes, absolutely a Camino can be walked with little preparation but ideally only with careful planning and an awareness of your physical state.

The monetary situation is a bit difficult for North Americans right now as the euro is sooo strong against the dollar(s) so although it is not an expensive journey, it is no longer 'cheap'. Airfares in the fall, especially after Sept 15th should be fairly reasonable and definitely try a website such as kayak. com which compares costs for flights from a huge sampling of commercial websites.

You have some work to do ahead of you but I know you'll have a fantastic time if you go ahead with your Camino and I wish you the very best!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE WARM WELCOME< SUGGESTIONS AND ENCOURAGEMENT :wink: >>>It really helps me to stay on track with my dream/journey...I have been looking at flights to Bilbao, Toulouse(I thought Lourdes would be a great way to start), Pampolona etc...I suppose I should post my questions in the another forum..I am just a little confused about which path to take...If I should take a shorter route for my first time :? ..or just go with it...I am feeling a tug towards the coastal path..I think it is the North path...or the shorter journey from portugal (Oporto?)

I will post this in another thread...

Blessed Be,
Lisa....PS the pictures are great that were recently posted...so inspiring!!!! :D

Hey Lisa! All of the routes have their own challenges so it's really your choice as to which you do first (or at all). To paraphrase Yoda, there is no right way or wrong way, there is only the Way. :D

Kelly

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Jersey Girl, a friend and I did the first 250 miles last summer (from Le Puy en Velay). And we flew to France just ELEVEN DAYS after we'd first learned of the Camino. We went out walking -- but without packs -- about seven miles a day in Asheville, NC, in that intervening time (in April) but that was our only real preparation.

Yes, the walk from Le Puy to Lauzerte was challenging at times -- more so for me at age 54 than for my 18-years-younger, marathon runner friend. But we both did it. And I intend to go back and finish the walk, too.

We encountered many, many people at least 20 years older than I walking the Camino. Many women walk it alone. We didn't get to meet but sure enjoyed the stories at our last stop of the 80-something woman who had recently done the Camino on her bicycle twice! We met a young woman from Switzerland walking with her two young children, ages 4 and 9.

So if you WANT to, you CAN. The biggest danger of the whole Camino, IMHO, is that people think about it all too much and talk themselves out of going.

blessings,
Becca

Becca,

Thank you for your reassuring post! I love that all ages are out there doing it!! You are right, I need not talk myself out of it..sounds like you had a good experience filled with the unxpected..Please send up a prayer that I take courage/leap!!

Blessings,
Lisa

I,m lookin 2 do the camino in sept ,there is so much info , it kind of overpowers u tho.which can deflect ur focus ? anyway Bilbao looks rea.sonable priced.

good luck for the A.M.D.G STEVIE

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Airfare used to get cheaper after Oct 15th but it appear this is not the case anymore. Expedia still shows RT airfare Orlando (MCO)to MADrid leaving Oct 1st return Nov 18th at $961.00US.

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qs ... &rfrr=-429

Another suggestion I just learned of on these forums was obtaining a RT ticket through a novel approach called Airhitch which is supposed to be considerably cheaper:

http://www.airhitch.org/
With them you just 'hitch hike' across the Atlantic and pay when you catch the flight. You can go one way and use the net later for the return leg when you decide when you are returning. Becareful planning your time as 30 days is short if you are going to start in St Jean Pied de Port and walk over the Pyrenees into Spain and along the Camino Frances to Santiago. Then, being warmed up you might wish to continue on to Finisterre on the Atlantic Ocean. It is a great finish to a wonderful walk. I did it once in 43 days but wish I had a week more. Next time i will allow for it. And, 2 months is time enough to plan for it. There are various links to sites that give you all the info you require to do it.

Good Luck & Buen Camino!

John Hussey said:
Another suggestion I just learned of on these forums was obtaining a RT ticket through a novel approach called Airhitch which is supposed to be considerably cheaper:

http://www.airhitch.org/
John, we are glad you found out about Airhitch®, but we have a few caveats for the benefit of everyone who might consider using it, for it is one of the most radically heterodox and therefore
confusing systems of air travel unless you are VERY accustomed to hitchhiking in general, ie,
on the road, and we just bet that the vast majority of pilgrims here are NOT that. (Correct us
if we are wrong!)

First, anyone truly interested in the idea of Airhitching to a camino would be well-advised to
read through the rest of our responses to certain points you have made below. And note that John's remarks above are inaccurate: Airhitching never ever has had anything to do with tickets of any kind, but now it has even LESS to do with them since the airlines have COMPLETELY ELIMINATED TICKETS from the very process of air transportation, effective 01jun of this year ('08). What you do when you Airhitch® is to board an airplane for the trip over, holding on to as much of your cash as you can until the very last minute before going, and then, if necessary, do the same thing for the trip back.

With them you just 'hitch hike' across the Atlantic...
We don't think it's a good idea to trivialize the concept of hitchhiking, which is both art and
science; and to do it successfully, especially when you try to hitchhike the airlanes, you need to be ready to bring a lot of intellect and focus to bear on the problem. So "just" is probably an inappropriate word here, which makes the process sound SIMPLE...though it's not.

...and pay when you catch the flight. You can go one way and use the net later for the return leg when you decide when you are returning.
It's important to realize that the Airhitch® system was not put in place for special event travel or for travel for any particular extrinsic purpose other than for the sake of travel itself...the pure enjoyment, liberty, and enlightenment that comes from experiencing geographical locales and cultures other than one's own. So to use it for purposes for which it was never intended to be used can create certain risks and other problems, or, even if not, produce results far less satisfying than appropriate use of the system -- and that appropriate use is, for budget unstructured exploratory travel.

Note that the system was created as a kind of COUNTERsystem in the late 60s by college students of modest means looking to "beat the system" they were confronted with which made getting across the Atlantic to Europe for an extended and indefinite length of stay abroad virtually impossible.

And it is still operated very much in that spirit, so if you're looking for all the standard appurtenances of air travel -- precise dates and itineraries, reservations, tickets, exact costs known in advance (unless they change, of course!) then you are going to disappointed, because
none of these are what Airhitch® or Airhitching are ABOUT.

Finally, we would strongly recommend a close look at our principles of operation page, and our ethos page, which together provide about 99% of the basic info necessary to use the system. The rest, as Woody Allen puts it, is "just showing up"...in our chatrooms on AIM and/or Meebo.

Airhitch® Online Staff -- "The central source of all authoritative Airhitch® information"

Hi Jerseygirl, two months planning is enough. What worries me is if you will have enough time to get physically fit enough to walk 20 or so kilometres each day for weeks on end. Your feet are going to take a pounding, and walking with bad blisters is not much fun. Walk as much as you can between now and the time you leave on your great adventure, and your feet will thank you for it.
Age is immaterial on this pilgrimage. In April I met Georgette from South Africa, who at 80 years old was doing her second camino. The week before she started this year, she competed in the Paris marathon. I also have fond memories of Harold from Canada, 77 years old, and on camino number 7.
Never was the saying " It's not the destination that is important, it is the journey" more apt than when applied to this walk. I am sure you will have a wonderful and rewarding time, and I wish you the best. In case I have worried you too much about the training you need to do before you go, I will leave you with the story of the French lady I met on the trail. She was walking the last 200 km to Compostela, and was two thirds of the way there. She was walking quite slowly, but at a pace that suited her. When I asked her had she done much training for the walk, she replied that she had got up off the couch and started walking.
Blessings

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Alan,
Georgette is an AMAZING woman. She and I walked the camino Frances together in 2002 when Georgie was 74 years old. We walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 27 days.
In 2000/2001 she was the oldest woman to climb Mt Kilimanjaro on the Millennium New Year's eve at the age of 73. Originally from Belgium, but a South African citizen for over 25 years, she speaks 7 languages - including Afrikaans. She is a Masters race walker and still competes in many races.
Georgie is an inspiration to many women but it wouldn't be fair to use her as an example to pilgrims who are younger but unfit - we used to call her Duracell - after an advert for batteries that go on forever!

Attachments

• Fountain.jpg
    Fountain.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 297
Hi Jersey Girl,

Another idea for your airfare, although slightly complicated... I'm flying from the US to Shannon, Ireland (SNN) as the fares are usually much, much cheaper than to other parts of Europe. I'm then switching to Ryan Air from SNN to Biarrirz--just bought that ticket yesterday for 12 Euro. For the way back I am flying from Santander to Dublin (just booked at 10 euro!) and bussing from Dublin to SNN, then spending the night there before my return trip to the states. This works particularly well for me because I have a place to stay in Shannon, but it is also very affordable. This exact plan may not work for you, but get creative! I'm sure you can make something work. The thing to keep in mind is that since the two itineraries are booked separately, if your Ryan Air flight back is delayed and you miss your connection to the states, you are SOL. So if you do something along these lines be sure to give yourself plenty of time between flights (or even overnight, if you can).

Good luck to you!!

Kristen

I've been thinking and making up my mind for El Camino Frances during the last 2 years, learning about the route and reading everything o could about it, and a month ago I changed my heart completely and I will be leaving next september for El Camino Portugues, starting, hopefully, in Fatima, heading for Oporto next.
So.... time and plans sometimes mean nothing,just listen to yourself...
I still don't know why... Portugal seems to be calling me...
First time long distance walker, lots of miles walked on the treadmill in sunny, hot, and flat Florida should be enough, I hope,
any suggestions? regarding accomodation, September isn't as busy as the summer months in Portugal, right? is it safe to be on my own?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back