• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

July Pilgrims: Anyone Ever Walked In Stockings?

nickymd1

Time of past OR future Camino
CdN'17, Regia'18, CF'19, CP'22, CFist/CMux '17/'22
Hi all,

I'm planning a Norte from mid-July to late August and am anticipating it to be quite warm. I'm an African child so I'm not all that concerned about living with the heat but I am concerned about sunburn in the height of summer as my legs seem to be fairer than the rest of me and burn more easily. I could carry large amount of sunscreen but would rather save the 200g for something else (I'll be carrying a high factor tube for my face).

I'm considering using ankle stockings (like the trial socks from shoe stores) as a non-slip layer under my socks rather than vaseline / other methods, and have been wondering if just making a jump to pantihose might be an easier option. I'd then take a pair of zip-offs, a pair of shorts, and a pair or two of stockings that can be replaced cheaply as needed.

Has anyone ever walked in shorts and stockings/pantihose? Something at like 100den?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
More like:
wazzeildons.jpg

But with a thinner material and weave.

On another note: I guess they could be great for compression purposes too ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You better look at specialized UV protective clothing instead of a pantyhose. There are pants an 'legs' for cyclists and swimmers for instance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe try runner's type compression socks. I think they are great. They go up to the knee. I like the support they give, and they do give UV protection, and some degree of warmth on cool mornings.
There are many, many different brands, colors and styles of them on the market. This photo is just a random one from the net.
CEP-SOCK-COMPILATION-924x784.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not done the Camino - so take this advice with a word of caution - loose(r) fit pants or even a long skirt might be a more comfortable option. Nothing would be clinging to your legs, you could have some air circulation between your legs and fabric (especially the skirt option), and full UV protection. If you choose a skirt, you may need a pair of slip shorts underneath to prevent thigh rub.

Stockings aren't really designed for long distance walking, so the foot design might lead to chaffing and blisters - I've had problems with normal city walking in the heat, but then I wasn't wearing them as a liner with socks, and I was wearing shoes that let my feet slip around. The seam at the toe can be a particular problem (it can't easily be adjusted and is very snug). And the worst thing of all: my toe nail punches a hole in the stocking, and the big toe slowly gets compressed against or inside the opening, resulting in weird and wonderful pain from lack of circulation.

Then there is the question of comfort at the middle. Some tights I've worn leave me sweaty and icky at the waist band when walking in the heat. Not all designs- just some.

But here's the thing. Despite my concerns and worries, I can see how it could work well as a solution, and I'd love to know if it works out!

Best advice for anyone - try before travel. Go for a day hike and see if it works.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think you may mean tights. Not stockings. Nylon stockings aren't going to serve you well in the heat. Pants or a long skirt is really the better option. Once your legs get a tan you will have to worry less about burning, too. Personally, I'd rather carry sunscreen then wear tights or long pants in extreme heat.

Hot pants with black opaque tights underneath them were trendy in London about 5 years ago, so there is the risk of looking unfashionable.

The new style over here is for men to wear tights under their gym shorts. It's a horrible style and I hope it dies soon ...I wonder if the guys would stop if I told them their look is "so London five years ago."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi all,

I'm planning a Norte from mid-July to late August and am anticipating it to be quite warm. I'm an African child so I'm not all that concerned about living with the heat but I am concerned about sunburn in the height of summer as my legs seem to be fairer than the rest of me and burn more easily. I could carry large amount of sunscreen but would rather save the 200g for something else (I'll be carrying a high factor tube for my face).

I'm considering using ankle stockings (like the trial socks from shoe stores) as a non-slip layer under my socks rather than vaseline / other methods, and have been wondering if just making a jump to pantihose might be an easier option. I'd then take a pair of zip-offs, a pair of shorts, and a pair or two of stockings that can be replaced cheaply as needed.

Has anyone ever walked in shorts and stockings/pantihose? Something at like 100den?

I would cover up head to toe rather than use something like stockings. Coming from Australia, we are very conscious of sun protection. I didn't even wear shorts. Wide brimmed hat, with neck flap, long sleeve shirt, often with collar turned up, long pants, even gloves! (my hands got sunburnt a bit)

See below: (this was May 2015 on the CF)

IMG_20160913_075546683.jpg I wore stockings when I was on the camino in September and October and they worked great in the prevention of blisters. Don't know how it factors in the prevention of sunburn, etc.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wore Skins compression legging/tights on the Via last year. It was really hot (36 - 38c) at the start but the compression tights never felt hot. My legs loved the compression and the Skins are really lightweight and they dry quickly.

I was a tad self conscious at first... but the comfort of wearing them really outweighed this. :)

Hi all,

Concerns about the sun are one of the reasons I wear a Macabi Skirt. It is cool and your legs get all the breeze but no exposure to sun. On cooler days I wore lightweight merino leggings underneath. Especially when it is hot I like loose clothing to stay cool and dry.

The new style over here is for men to wear tights under their gym shorts. It's a horrible style and I hope it dies soon ...I wonder if the guys would stop if I told them their look is "so London five years ago."
morgan-de-sanctis-050_milan-vs-napoli.jpg

not just five years ago . . .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yep, I wore tights (thicker and stronger than pantyhose) with knee-length skirts on my Camino in July. I guess they did work as sun protection, now that I think of it, because I didn't use any sunscreen on my legs, and got no tan/burn on them. I used the tights mainly as a protection from ticks (I walked the Primitivo), and as a "liner" under my socks to prevent blisters (worked like a charm! The army uses this trick too), but also they served as a lightweight, quick-dry option to taking pants or shorts. Easy to handwash, easy to dry from laundry or rain, and only weighed 60g each. I didn't have to wash the skirts as often as I would have shorts or pants, plus the opaque tights gave me some "modesty" while walking throughout different terrain as well as in churches etc. I highly recommend the tights option.

Tights/collants (France) is a very good solution if having thighs sitting close enough to rub against each other - if getting my drift.
When hot and sweaty close thighs can develop rash and wounds, which will hurt for every step if the thighs are not protected against each other with the upper part of tights.
Males in the american army are recommended such solution.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.