• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just back....lessons learned

Beth_J

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances or Invierno (April 2016)
I'm just back from my first Camino. I did Ponferrada to Santiago in 9 days. To those that are just starting out, I thought I'd share some lessons learned.

- I packed really light - and I was glad of it. My pack was under 15 pounds and I used everything I packed.
- Don't be afraid to use the pharmacist - I didn't go until Day 8...and the IBprofin they gave me and the cream for my odd rash worked wonders - I didn't have to suffer for days.
- You really don't need to worry about anything other than walking, sleeping and eating.
- All the guidebook reading I did.....it helped very little. Things really are pretty self explanatory.
- TALK TO PEOPLE! The people I met on the camino are some of the best I ever met ---- and the camino has a way of having you run into them again and again even when you see hardly another soul.
- Don't be worried about crowds. We only ever saw any other people (really any others - it was a very desolote camino the week after Easter) was on Friday as we came out of Sarria - we stopped early and got out of the crowd and didn't see anymore the whole way. Note - we didn't stop at traditional stage ends.
- Plan for any weather...but still pack light - ie layers.
- The camino has a plan for you....and sometimes the lessons it teaches take the form of a not pleasant day--- remember to let it go and learn from it. I walked by myself through over a foot of snow, got bit by a dog, stung by a bee, almost trampled by sheep, hailed on...twice, and had to walk 10 miles more than planned on this day. But I learned a lot about myself and also learned how to let things go so the rest of my trip wasn't marred.
- ENJOY. Live in the moment - don't let the overplanning, over information, over researching get in the way of just enjoying the moment and taking things as they come!

Truthfully, regardless of the dog bite, the endless rain (8 out of the 9 days it was almost constant), and some tough learning moments --- this was the best trip of my life and one that will stay with me forever. I'm glad for the research I did - but I'm also glad I didn't get caught up in overplanning. Its so easy to do.

If anyone has any specific questions about the route starting in Ponferrada - I'm happy to answer! We took the country route out of Villafranca --- I HIGHLY recommend it if you are in moderate shape.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From my understanding - I'm literally the ONLY one most people have heard of that got a dog bite on the Camino - so I don't think it should be a big worry. I think it was a VERY specific situation. Let me explain:

I was coming out of Fonfria after a literal blizzard (over a foot of snow overnight - blowing, etc). I know for a fact - I was the first one to take the Camino after this. All others that left in front of me took the road all the way into Triacastella (or however you spell it). I veered back onto the path right before town because most of the snow had melted at that elevation and I hated the dangers of the road (my friend took a taxi and saw the rest on the road and wondered where I was - so I know they took the road all the way in). I'm assuming the owners were not expecting anyone to be on the Camino because of the snow or the dog would have been locked up. It just ran out - bit my leg and ran back. I was lucky that I was wearing 4 layers of tights on the bottom (snow storm). I just got a HUGE bruise and there was a few places the skin broke - but that was due to friction, not teeth - there were no holes in any of my tights.

Again - I think this was just odd circumstances. It was just my luck (odd things like this ALWAYS happen to me - I'm always fine, its just odd). I talked to many people at Albergues, etc that know the Camino well, and I was literally the first person they ever heard of this happening too. I don't think this should be something that you worry too much about.

OH, me too, leaving today, dog worry!
Don't sweat the dogs. If you see one you are concerned about, look straight ahead, walk forward and give it a wide berth.
The only dog incident I saw on any Camino was in 2014. A young pilgrim from Spain got nipped on the calf by a small dog. It happened at a water fountain I think he said. An older local woman was there with her dog and when he went up to the fountain too, I guess the dog got territorial. He didn't seem too concerned about the bite, although it did break the skin. He cleaned it out and put Betadine and a bandaid on it. I love dogs, but I probably would have dropped kicked the little mutt after it bit me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm just back from my first Camino. I did Ponferrada to Santiago in 9 days. To those that are just starting out, I thought I'd share some lessons learned.

- I packed really light - and I was glad of it. My pack was under 15 pounds and I used everything I packed.
- Don't be afraid to use the pharmacist - I didn't go until Day 8...and the IBprofin they gave me and the cream for my odd rash worked wonders - I didn't have to suffer for days.
- You really don't need to worry about anything other than walking, sleeping and eating.
- All the guidebook reading I did.....it helped very little. Things really are pretty self explanatory.
- TALK TO PEOPLE! The people I met on the camino are some of the best I ever met ---- and the camino has a way of having you run into them again and again even when you see hardly another soul.
- Don't be worried about crowds. We only ever saw any other people (really any others - it was a very desolote camino the week after Easter) was on Friday as we came out of Sarria - we stopped early and got out of the crowd and didn't see anymore the whole way. Note - we didn't stop at traditional stage ends.
- The camino has a plan for you....and sometimes the lessons it teaches take the form of a not pleasant day--- remember to let it go and learn from it. I walked by myself through over a foot of snow, got bit by a dog, stung by a bee, almost trampled by sheep, hailed on...twice, and had to walk 10 miles more than planned on this day. But I learned a lot about myself and also learned how to let things go so the rest of my trip wasn't marred.
- ENJOY. Live in the moment - don't let the overplanning, over information, over researching get in the way of just enjoying the moment and taking things as they come!

Truthfully, regardless of the dog bite, the endless rain (8 out of the 9 days it was almost constant), and some tough learning moments --- this was the best trip of my life and one that will stay with me forever. I'm glad for the research I did - but I'm also glad I didn't get caught up in overplanning. Its so easy to do.

If anyone has any specific questions about the route starting in Ponferrada - I'm happy to answer! We took the country route out of Villafranca --- I HIGHLY recommend it if you are in moderate shape.
I leave from Ponferrada on June 3rd!

Sorry, but I zoomed in on the dog bite. I am not at all fond of dogs and the thought of encountering an aggressive one on this route (where I will be walking in a few weeks) has alarmed me. Where and what happened?
I bought a (dog) Dazer II on EBay. I keep it in the small pocket on my lower pack strap. If dogs make you nervous, then they make you nervous. Prepare and remove that concern so you're not carrying a tiny stressful preoccupation around with you on your Camino.

I've been on my Camino Frances for 2.5 weeks, I've seen many dogs. All have been locked up doing their jobs as watchdogs. Dog owners along the Camino have apparently been asked to keep their dogs fenced in. The Camino is an enormous industry which plows a lot of foreign currency into the Spanish economy. Nobody wants a single walker to get bitten, I assume. To put it very bluntly, it's bad for business.

I think it's weird when people say don't overthink it, go with the flow. What on earth is wrong with just using the brain one is born with, preparing and therefore being as undistracted as possible so as to enjoy the experience.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a (dog) Dazer II on EBay. I keep it in the small pocket on my lower pack strap. If dogs make you nervous, then they make you nervous. Prepare and remove that concern so you're not carrying a tiny stressful preoccupation around with you on your Camino.

I've been on my Camino France's for 2.5 weeks, I've seen many dogs. All have been locked up doing their jobs as watchdogs. Dog owners along the Camino have apparently been asked to keep their dogs fenced in. The Camino is an enormous industry which plows a lot of foreign currency into the Spanish economy. Nobody wants a single walker to get bitten, I assume. To put it very bluntly, it's bad for business.

I think it's weird when people say don't overthink it, go with the flow. What on earth is wrong with just using the brain one is born with, preparing and therefore being as undistracted as possible so as to enjoy the experience.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Mike--I agree! I bought a Dog Dazer II for my last trip to Spain, but got busy and just forgot to pack it. As it was, I only had one dog issue, and fortunately, a car pulled over and the driver stayed with me while the dog just walked on by.

For those of us who have been bitten, the phobia is a hard one to shake. It's not a negative thing to take care of oneself.

On my first trip to Spain, a friend I was walking with was fixated on petting all dogs, approaching them all. It drove me crazy, especially when some snapped at her. I just kept walking.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mike--I agree! I bought a Dog Dazer II for my last trip to Spain, but got busy and just forgot to pack it. As it was, I only had one dog issue, and fortunately, a car pulled over and the driver stayed with me while the dog just walked on by.

For those of us who have been bitten, the phobia is a hard one to shake. It's not a negative thing to take care of oneself.

On my first trip to Spain, a friend I was walking with was fixated on petting all dogs, approaching them all. It drove me crazy, especially when some snapped at her. I just kept walking.
I'm a bit skeptical about the effectiveness of that dog dazer thing. Not sure if an ultrasonic sound will chase one off. Have you ever tested it?
I had to deal with aggressive dogs all the time as a copper and even got nipped a couple of times, but no breaking of the skin. The dogs that nipped me were small. You never let a big aggressive one get that close to you on a call.

Thanks for your replies, and scuse me Beth that your nice thread is getting dominated by the (expletive to express how I feel about them) dogs thing. I had read this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/names-of-towns-with-loose-dogs.36783/#post-400086
and there's mention of Dog Dazer there. I have tried using them when I lived in a place with a serious street dog problem and found them effective for some mutts but certainly not all. But I do understand that in general the road-more-travelled Frances has pretty much dealt with roaming ones.
Now onto my other major horror in life.. cold weather!!! I'm a softie from the subtropics and my idea of 'layering' is putting on a t shirt. Am watching the weather reports for my upcoming trip and thinking - yep, that's me in the taxi!

I really just want to emphisize that for new walkers, the chance of getting bit is very low. It happens but for the most part the big dogs are very heavily chained. Just don't go exploring private property & you will be fine.
For those of you that have imbilitating fear of dogs when you see one ignore it. They usually are looking for a free snack, cats included. I have the same type of fear of skunks, it's a long story.. Just try your best, enjoy the best walk!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for your replies, and scuse me Beth that your nice thread is getting dominated by the (expletive to express how I feel about them) dogs thing. I had read this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/names-of-towns-with-loose-dogs.36783/#post-400086
and there's mention of Dog Dazer there. I have tried using them when I lived in a place with a serious street dog problem and found them effective for some mutts but certainly not all. But I do understand that in general the road-more-travelled Frances has pretty much dealt with roaming ones.
Now onto my other major horror in life.. cold weather!!! I'm a softie from the subtropics and my idea of 'layering' is putting on a t shirt. Am watching the weather reports for my upcoming trip and thinking - yep, that's me in the taxi!
www.wunderground.com
You can look up past years weather in different parts of Spain for the month of May. Not a predictor of future weather, but does give you an idea of what to expect.

www.wunderground.com
You can look up past years weather in different parts of Spain for the month of May. Not a predictor of future weather, but does give you an idea of what to expect.

I'm looking at this year's weather, Mark, and it does seem an unusually cold and wet spring. Never mind, I will just have to deal with it. And I already allow myself no pressure at all to stretch myself physically into illness. I've had a very rough last few months, since I decided to take this walk, and it's going to be all about looking after me, and having no shame in asking for any kind of help I need :)

Eye contact with a dog can be interpreted by the dog as aggressive behaviour. So if I'm ever in a situation where I'm wary of a dog, I sidle past with my eyes averted, staying as far out of the dog's territory as I can. It has always worked for me. The times I've been bitten have been when I've been overconfident and bent down and patted the dog - that has happened to me twice. I still love and pat dogs - but now check with the owner first!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm looking at this year's weather, Mark, and it does seem an unusually cold and wet spring. Never mind, I will just have to deal with it. And I already allow myself no pressure at all to stretch myself physically into illness. I've had a very rough last few months, since I decided to take this walk, and it's going to be all about looking after me, and having no shame in asking for any kind of help I need :)
That's a good attitude to have.
I looked at last May's weather for a couple of cities along the CF. A lot of sunshine. Even on the cooler mornings on the CF it warms up fairly quickly on sunny days, especially since you are walking with a pack. Anytime I started the walk in the morning wearing a fleece pullover, I was quickly shedding it after less than an hour.

I'm a bit skeptical about the effectiveness of that dog dazer thing. Not sure if an ultrasonic sound will chase one off. Have you ever tested it?
I had to deal with aggressive dogs all the time as a copper and even got nipped a couple of times, but no breaking of the skin. The dogs that nipped me were small. You never let a big aggressive one get that close to you on a call.

I tried it on my dogs, who were barking like mad. They immediately stopped barking and looked around in confusion. I think the Dazer operates like a "channel changer" on the dog's mind! Went from Terminator to Sleepless in Seattle in seconds!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You have hiking sticks-the dog doesn't! I own dogs over 50 pounds each, they would be no match for titanium hiking poles. A bit of cheese tossed aside works great too. You are walking through their turf.

You have hiking sticks-the dog doesn't! I own dogs over 50 pounds each, they would be no match for titanium hiking poles. A bit of cheese tossed aside works great too. You are walking through their turf.
Yes, I will have nice techy Pacer Poles. But what would one actually DO with a pole to indicate to a nasty barking charging /planted in from tot me type dog that it should just go away shut up and leave me alone (cos really I am not going to/able to rip its throat out like it's indicating it would like to do to me) ? Seriously, I don't know.. wave it around while shouting? ram at its face?

That's right! The Spanish dogs love the old tough ones!!
Tough old "what's"? Has anyone used a water pistol loaded with vinegar (or acetic acid) - spray at the nose/mouth. Or is this going more than a little over the top?? I have to agree if a little mut had bitten me it would have received flying lessons!! (see @Mark Lee)!!

€46,-
Saw dozens of dogs on the Camino, and all were quite friendly. Never once was even slightly concerned. Maybe they could sense I was a vegan :p

truth is I'm not that concerned about dogs on this route . More about the Invierno after reading the thread (linked above). And in general, as this isn't the only travel I'll be doing this year, and I'll be in quite a number of parts of Spain

Okay, okay....deep breath, people! I had only very good experiences with dogs in Spain, but there have been a few suggestions here. Try to walk by without eye contact, and remember that dogs are accustomed to pilgrims walking through. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Guys - again this was a FREAK thing - I'm positive the dog was normally tied up and the owner didn't expect anyone walking that soon after over a foot of snow fell. I know for a fact I was the first to walk that path that day. I really wouldn't be concerned - all other dogs we encountered were tied up and never got near us (or were really friendly and ignored us). And frankly, there was NOTHING that could have been done to prevent it - it was a freak thing that literally took 10 seconds to happen. No mace would have stopped it as I didn't see it coming, no poles swung could have prevented it, no eye contact was made as I didn't even see it coming. Freak things just sometimes happen, and I've talked to enough people along The Way to know this truly was a freak thing.

I really didn't mean to worry people -I was just saying - sometimes the Camino has to kick you in the face with lessons if it thinks you aren't going to listen and those lessons don't always come in the way of birds singing and butterflies floating by.

Tough old "what's"? Has anyone used a water pistol loaded with vinegar (or acetic acid) - spray at the nose/mouth. Or is this going more than a little over the top?? I have to agree if a little mut had bitten me it would have received flying lessons!! (see @Mark Lee)!!
You don't sound like too much of a "Saint" Saint Mike:p:D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, I will have nice techy Pacer Poles. But what would one actually DO with a pole to indicate to a nasty barking charging /planted in from tot me type dog that it should just go away shut up and leave me alone (cos really I am not going to/able to rip its throat out like it's indicating it would like to do to me) ? Seriously, I don't know.. wave it around while shouting? ram at its face?
If you know an unknown dog is coming, present your buttocks - it avoids eye contact and is the best bit to be bitten on.
If one suddenly appears, look nonchalantly in the direction where you want to walk. Never make eye contact with the dog. Hold the pacer poles lightly and swing them gently so there is a wall of moving poles between you and the animal. You might need to weave around a bit until you pass its territory. Never point the pole at the dog or raise your arm because dogs read that as an erect tail on an enemy dog which will then have to be dealt to.
The swinging pacer poles trick worked for defending two of us at once.
We only met one dog on the Primitivo - a small yappy thing with small stature syndrome that felt it had to charge about baring its teeth and growling. The owner, on the other hand was a very slow moving young man who took an eternity to retrieve the dog. Never had any other problem and the dogs are not so well controlled as reputed to be on the Frances. So don't worry and practise gazing into the distance nonchalantly!

I've been told to carry a whistle in my pocket during my upcoming walk. Firstly to chase off dogs or other animals and secondly in case I fall somehwere and need to get attention or to scare away some unwanted attention as I'll be walking alone.
I usually carry a whistle in case I get hurt in the NZ bush. But I got a bit carried away with saving weight and trying to have every item serving at least 2 purposes. So I packed a tin whistle so I could do the distress call, and intended to bone up on my musical skills to entertain myself. Well, although I could make an earsplitting distress whistle I was never distressed - and there were too many people around to play music without causing them distress, so that whistle survived the trip untouched.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've been told to carry a whistle in my pocket during my upcoming walk. Firstly to chase off dogs or other animals and secondly in case I fall somehwere and need to get attention or to scare away some unwanted attention as I'll be walking alone.

A lot of backpacks nowadays have a whistle built into the sternum strap. Have a good look at yours: I was on my third Osprey before I noticed.

This is my first Camino. I carry a plastic hiking whistle, headlamp, Dog Dazer and a small Swiss Army knife. I bought a first rate compass but sent that ahead to Ivar at Santiago.

Mike

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

€46,-
About dogs I carry a very loud whistle. Working dogs which were quite common often responded to my dog clicker or clucking of the tongue that is also how I train my dogs. People who train working dogs use this method worldwide.

I think the chances of any of the concerned pilgrims having an issue with dogs is minimal, but, just as spiders hunt me down...so the best advice is to not engage with the dog, keep walking confidently and/or if necessary take an alternative route around the dog if possible. I find (and I work with dogs for a living) that a good stern 'GET' is enough if they look at you sideways (I call them 'Jack Nicholson eyes :) ) but I also don't walk around offering pats to dogs in public where they are more likely to be territorial or guarding their owner or property, much as I love them, they tricky ones will suck you in with their cute eyes and at the last moment snap at you. I must admit at work I do have the benefit of drugs, but I don't think it would go down too well if I wander around drugging all the dogs I come across!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think the chances of any of the concerned pilgrims having an issue with dogs is minimal, but, just as spiders hunt me down...so the best advice is to not engage with the dog, keep walking confidently and/or if necessary take an alternative route around the dog if possible. I find (and I work with dogs for a living) that a good stern 'GET' is enough if they look at you sideways (I call them 'Jack Nicholson eyes :) ) but I also don't walk around offering pats to dogs in public where they are more likely to be territorial or guarding their owner or property, much as I love them, they tricky ones will suck you in with their cute eyes and at the last moment snap at you. I must admit at work I do have the benefit of drugs, but I don't think it would go down too well if I wander around drugging all the dogs I come across!
Actually most of the dogs I came across just wanted to have a scratch behind the ears.

Actually most of the dogs I came across just wanted to have a scratch behind the ears.
Most dogs do :) like most people, most of them don't set out to be 'bad', just a way of minimising risk for those with a fear of them, and those wanting to eradicate the risk of a hospital visit.

One thing you can do with your poles is bang them together. Aluminum poles in particular make a metallic twang sound that often will make a dog uncertain enough that it will stay back.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hi, we are doing the same track this May, we have pre booked some accommodation, should we be worried about having every night pre booked? or is there plenty along the way?
in particular the track between Ambasmestas To O Cebreiro , should we be staying at O Ceberiro? appreciate your help, Adam

Hi al. The worst dog situation I ever have at the french Camino, were with that big Germán shepherd who was sleeping at the door of a house. He opened an eye stared at me forma a whole second, and keep sleeping. Never had problems with dogs at the Camino. They are really accostumed to those boring pilgrims.:eek:;)

Hi, we are doing the same track this May, we have pre booked some accommodation, should we be worried about having every night pre booked? or is there plenty along the way?
in particular the track between Ambasmestas To O Cebreiro , should we be staying at O Ceberiro? appreciate your help, Adam

Hi Adam! We had NO issues with accommodations at all. There seemed to be plenty available. All of our stops had plenty of room (in some of them we were the ONLY ones staying). My disclaimer is we tended to stop in areas that weren't "end of day" stops in any of the guidebooks. We stopped before O Ceberiro and then stopped in Fonfria after. Both we had no issues with at all. It was nice to start O Ceberiro on "new" legs and not do it at the end of the day......especially since we did the country/mountain route out of Villafranca. After doing the country route, O Ceberiro actually didn't feel bad - I think because its not as steep.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Awesome post. Can't wait to start. Glad you had a great experience.

Hi Adam! We had NO issues with accommodations at all. There seemed to be plenty available. All of our stops had plenty of room (in some of them we were the ONLY ones staying). My disclaimer is we tended to stop in areas that weren't "end of day" stops in any of the guidebooks. We stopped before O Ceberiro and then stopped in Fonfria after. Both we had no issues with at all. It was nice to start O Ceberiro on "new" legs and not do it at the end of the day......especially since we did the country/mountain route out of Villafranca. After doing the country route, O Ceberiro actually didn't feel bad - I think because its not as steep.

Thanks for the info ..

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back