• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Just strolling along

ortemio

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances,14,
Frances,15
Madrid,15
Salvador,15
VdlP,Sanabres
Porto,16
Levante,17
Mozarabe,18
Norte,19
After a slow start, stuck at Newark airport for 22 hours, I am finally moving. Florida-newark-porto-salamanca-start.

Salamanca had a festival going, lots of young wipper snappers. Albergue is donativo, clean with a nice couple running it. Great food.

The fresh croissants in rua mayor are killer!

After 33km that felt like. 50km made it to Robliza de cojos, nice, they even gave me a ride to the restaurant.

Now my caminuku :

New showers
New toilets
Two beds
No TP.

Powder coffee
Powder Expresso
New microwave
No cups.

Arrived at San Muñoz today , Saturday, everything is closed. Albergue is hosting a Ukrainian family, lovely fruit pie. Clean 4 beds, raining cats and dogs. Talked the Hann bar into cooking me some food.

Some of my pics are in my findpenguins at :

Just more ramblings.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Day 3: Alba de yeltes, wowikazawee, 26km, I would rate the difficulty at a 9 out of 10. Just when you think the hills are over another one comes along. Then you have to share the Camino with a few cows that look mean and your 2nd wind kicks in and you do a few km's really quick.
But the steak and soup at Bar Nilo was well worth it. Albergue has 5 beds, warm shower and a petanca court. Cool.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Day 4 : Ciudad Rodrigo, ,26km, first 10km pure road work. Lots of blackberries and cork oaks. Albergue seemed strange, 30€ with on the go breakfast. Mhhhhm. Oh well it's a bed. Tomorrow 30km to Obispo de ...

Attachments

• PXL_20230918_082334156.jpg
    PXL_20230918_082334156.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
Day ?? In Amarante, staying at the Casa da Juventus, 10€ , including breakfast. Many beds and vegetarian menu. The only complain is , last night Friday, they had raging rave going on next door until 2am. Even the earplugs were useless. Not an everyday event but worth asking before reservations.

Attachments

• PXL_20230930_080017625.jpg
    PXL_20230930_080017625.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230930_113141684.jpg
    PXL_20230930_113141684.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
Ended the Torres in Braga and now starting on the Geira. I must say I liked Braga, so many beautiful sights, a very active scene.

Torres was fun, challenging at times and great weather mostly. Coming out of Guimaraes I noticed a van following me. It turned out to be the guy that I had wanted to strangle at some places in the Camino. This person is the one marking the Camino. He is really into the history and wants to show every church, cross and anything that has to do with the "real" Camino. Very nice person, he is also pushing the Camino de Geira, Leonel Pereira +351 933 426 097, they have a WhatsApp group and offer updated tracks and help along the way. They seem to be very active and friendly. Group named Caminho da Geira. Call him if you have questions.

Today made it to Caldela, albergue was unresponsive after 3 days of calls. Seems the phone number is manned by emptiness.
The beginning is chaotic as it is the confluence of four different caminos and they have different ways of marking the way.

Ciao bambinos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At Geres Posada de Juventud, 18€ w bkfst. Lots of fog. About 25 mountain bikers passed me today on their way to Santiago from Porto. The trail was very nice. The champignons are beginning to show up. Tomorrow to Lubios,spain.

Attachments

• PXL_20231005_073406164.jpg
    PXL_20231005_073406164.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
Day xx ++ :
At Castro Laboreiro the land of the Portuguese Laboreiro dog, large breed, strong and I was warned to be careful of them. So far ok. Not so long a hike today but intense, specially the end. You need a strong heart and lots of water to make that climb, so be careful 😅 the view is grand!

Attachments

• PXL_20231007_144755488.jpg
    PXL_20231007_144755488.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
Day 4 : Ciudad Rodrigo, ,26km, first 10km pure road work. Lots of blackberries and cork oaks. Albergue seemed strange, 30€ with on the go breakfast. Mhhhhm. Oh well it's a bed. Tomorrow 30km to Obispo de ...
I just saw this thread. How did I miss it?! When I saw that you started with Salamanca in fiestas, I wondered if I started last year on the same date, but I checked my FP and saw I was in town for an earlier fiests, it seems, because I started about a week earlier. It was a great time to walk, and it looks like you are having the same great weather.

A question about those blackberries — the ones I saw last year were small and tasteless. Someone suggested it was the drought. Just wondering if you’re getting some juicy sweetness.

Buen camino, Ortemio!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Day ? Cortegada, my wikiloc reported 34.5km, I followed the track from their website. Seems that it has gotten longer?
The big dogs ignored me, no issues, but the little ones went berserk every time...
Some trails were nice but by the end I was too tired to enjoy the river walk. No food as it is Sunday and it's deader than a ???

The blackberries were edible not as good as the ones from home. I worry as the birds did not eat them. But there were so many apples, pears, grapes and figs I had no issues keeping my tummy full.

The one thing that I have become addicted to is their dark brown bread. Wow,! Crusty, mellow sweet taste, great with cheese! My doctor is going to have a fit.. 😍

Came across this link with help for routing and stages.

At Soutelo : nice little town, nothing Todo. Heading to Estrada. 30km almost to Santiago!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
At Estrada , last stage but weather reports ~1in of rain expected today. So feeling guilty I will rest and walk tomorrow, no rain 🌧️ tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231013-094142.png
    Screenshot_20231013-094142.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Made it to Santiago. Wonderful ending felt like a stroll through my hometown. Am having lunch at a vegetarian restaurant named EntrePredras, highly recommended.

Now I have 50 days left to sounter around, not certain what direction to go yet. Viva la Aventura!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back