• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just to say hello

rafferty

Hello to anyone who reads this.I am a 58 yr old Scot living in France.I walked the Camino from St.Jean in April/May of this year.I walked alone but was never lonely due to the lovely people from all over the world(or so it seemed) I met on the way.
I enjoyed the walk so much that I will be walking from Seville starting on the 1st of April 2008.
I walked from St.Jean in 24 days as a test to myself.I wanted to prove to myself that I could still push myself like this following a serious illness.My walk from Seville will be much more leisurely.
Harry

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Harry,
Welcome to the Forum! 24 days! wow... that was quick! I also walked the Camino this year - from Roncesvalles to SdC...I'm hoping to return to the Camino next year...I'll begin in SJPdP and would like to go to MuxĂ­a this time. Or perhaps the northern route...I'm as yet undecided. There is lots of information here and I'm sure you have lots to share as well.
Buen Camino,
Deirdrè

Hello Deirdre,
Thank you for the welcome,it's nice to confirm that there are people out there.
Your comment about 24 days being quick merits a reply.Firstly I used to do a great deal of wild-walking in Scotland so I actually found the going fairly easy on the Camino.Mainly though it was down to me celebrating the fact that I could still tackle a physical challenge and just enjoying being alive.My walking pattern I quickly realised was different to most people.I could never understand the rush to get into a refugio early.I often saw healthy young people queuing outside refugios at mid-day.I would walk from dawn 'till lunchtime.I would stop and have a meal and a rest then continue walking until about 5-6pm.I had no problem finding a space in a refugio by doing this.
If you are like me you will enjoy planning your next walk.I never fancied the northern route as it follows the main road too much and also passes through some heavily industrialised areas.Check out the Seville or Granada routes yourself,to my mind much more appealing than the northern route.
Thanks again,
Harry

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked from San Sebastian to Santiago in September. The route for San Sebastian to Oviedo did have a lot of asphalto but the walk from Oviedo was beautiful. There were not many people, the views were magnificent and the route was clearly marked. I have not done any of the other routes but would definitely go from Oviedo to Santiago (Primitivo) again.

Hello Pilar,
Yes you are correct that Oviedo to Santiago is much nicer that the Irun-St.Sebastian to Oviedo stretch.As a walk Oviedo to Santiago is good but taken as a whole I feel that the northern route leaves a great deal to be desired.Still everyone to their own.Personally I prefer to avoid cities and huge crowds of people.I guess you are the same with you preferring the Oviedo to Santiago stretch.
I can certainly recommend the Camino Frances but stress that you should do it out of the main season.I found it to be busy in April and I have driven the route in summer when the numbers were massive.I am actually baffled as to how anybody could have a spiritual experience when there are so many people around.
Anyway take care,
Harry

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.