• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kia ora! Hello!

Time of past OR future Camino
C. F. (2014 & 2019) C. P. (2016). Thinking 2024 CF
Up until September 2019, I didn't have a good track record with the Camino. Camino Frances-2014 and Camino Portuguese-2016 involved injuries, subsequent physical rehab each time. So while I never joined the Camino forum, I did often look at some of the posts. What prompted me to join was the pandemic and my concern for the Spanish people who support the Camino. I like that Ivar has enabled us to donate directly to some of those beautiful people. So I decided it was time to join as a donating member. Also, I'm a hobbyist blogger (no income derived). Slightly Camino obsessed and have written and continue to write about the good, the bad and the disappointments of those three journey's, as well as other travels. Currently here in NZ, we are all about backyard travel, but I like to think I will get to do one last Camino.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But I like to think I will get to do one last Camino.
Hi Chick,

Welcome to this forum. Unfortunately I'm afraid I've got some dissapointing news for you:
after having taken a look at your picture I've reached the conclusion that you might still have a couple of camino's in you!!

Go for it when you get the chance. Or, in other words: go take a walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Chick,

Welcome to this forum. Unfortunately I'm afraid I've got some dissapointing news for you:
after having taken a look at your picture I've reached the conclusion that you might still have a couple of camino's in you!!

Go for it when you get the chance. Or, in other words: go take a walk.
Haha...I probably should have updated that picture. However, if Iriebabel is still walking at 76 I definitely have a couple of Camino's in me.

Never say never! 😃 Just put one foot in-front of the other. After 2 foot surgeries in 6 months I am On my way toPhysical Rehab in a couple hours and still on crutches . Currently I am planning another camino!
Good luck with the rehab Iriebabel. I sustained injuries on both of my two first Camino's ending up with a hip replacement. But two foot surgeries in six months is a huge strain on the body. I wish you well, and look forward to seeing photos of you sans crutches and back walking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good luck with the rehab Iriebabel. I sustained injuries on both of my two first Camino's ending up with a hip replacement. But two foot surgeries in six months is a huge strain on the body. I wish you well, and look forward to seeing photos of you sans crutches and back walking.
I am 53 but if it counts any I feel much older in body and mind 😃. so sorry you had to endure the injuries I do hope your hip is feeling much better 😊. I just try to take it one day at a time... I have injuries sustained well before camino but I am not complaining.

Rehab went well today if you consider they lost my paperwork, but im smart I had my copy with me, and the Therapist informed me she cannot help cyborg turtle (my left knee) as she has lost her useful life many moons ago and likely caused the right foot issues🤓 so I definately need a knee replacement ...hmm why didnt I think of that🤔 (joke). the same knee is now affecting my hip👀. For years I was fighting a loosing (paperwork) battle so one day I decided pain or not I will walk the camino and hike and climb whatever mountains stands in my way and will continue until I cannot.

As to the surgery since they removed a huge chunk of bone (affectionately named heelspericus) under my heel it is not yet healed so still on the crutches ...cyborg 2.0 😜. I try to keep a smile on my face and in the end pain or not, it’s my choice to carry on. so I am not the fastest or strongest or youngest so you might see me sitting on the side of a hill or on a Streep grade. I feel no shame because I know I will get where I am going when I get where I am going. I just try to plan as best I can and be prepared in case cyborgturtle decides to do a runner down the hill without me 😝.

I wish you the best of luck on your next camino...and who knows you may just see me just look for a jamaican girl who lives in Florida with a giant metal brace on the left knee.

I am 53 but if it counts any I feel much older in body and mind 😃. so sorry you had to endure the injuries I do hope your hip is feeling much better 😊. I just try to take it one day at a time... I have injuries sustained well before camino but I am not complaining.

Rehab went well today if you consider they lost my paperwork, but im smart I had my copy with me, and the Therapist informed me she cannot help cyborg turtle (my left knee) as she has lost her useful life many moons ago and likely caused the right foot issues🤓 so I definately need a knee replacement ...hmm why didnt I think of that🤔 (joke). the same knee is now affecting my hip👀. For years I was fighting a loosing (paperwork) battle so one day I decided pain or not I will walk the camino and hike and climb whatever mountains stands in my way and will continue until I cannot.

As to the surgery since they removed a huge chunk of bone (affectionately named heelspericus) under my heel it is not yet healed so still on the crutches ...cyborg 2.0 😜. I try to keep a smile on my face and in the end pain or not, it’s my choice to carry on. so I am not the fastest or strongest or youngest so you might see me sitting on the side of a hill or on a Streep grade. I feel no shame because I know I will get where I am going when I get where I am going. I just try to plan as best I can and be prepared in case cyborgturtle decides to do a runner down the hill without me 😝.

I wish you the best of luck on your next camino...and who knows you may just see me just look for a jamaican girl who lives in Florida with a giant metal brace on the left knee.
Kia kaha (it's Maori) and the way most of us Kiwi's tell ourselves and others to be strong and keep going

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Kia kaha (which is my way of saying take care, be strong, get going - when you can)

Haere i te arohanui, haere i te rangimarie

PS: loved the photos from a few days ago, but where were they taken?
Thank you Alwyn, my Maori language skills are not great, but these I know.
The photos were taken on Auckland's North Shore - coastal route between Mairangi Bay and Brown's Bay.

The photos were taken ... between Mairangi Bay and Brown's Bay.

@Artful-Chick, thank you. I misdirected myself by reference to Glenorchy and what seemed to be snow on the tops on the other side of Whakatipu (?) but confused by the seat and the concrete path.

I can now clearly see Rangi... and the clouds. Great images, thanks.

I walked from Warkworth in April 2019 with the intention of Taupo. Spent a day getting from Dairy Flat to Takapuna: so little Te Araroa signage and so many turns - exhausting from Murrays Bay down to Devonport and after Auckland University to Onehunga from having to check at each corner where to next. Canned at Cambridge as there had been a serious loss of life a bit further south along where I intended to walk the next day. And got so many shots of Rangitoto and other places on that jaunt.

Hope to return to Warkworth later this year and walk Te Araroa to Wellington. Plan to avoid the exhausting section down the coast by circling around through Henderson to Onehunga. But my advanced years say no solo trips in the hills (except 2 days over Pirongia!!) so bus from Taumaranui. Start again at Whanganui and walk to Levin (new bridge south of Foxton) to catch a bus to Waikanae. Then carry on to Wellington. That's the dream but weather, especially wind, will decide a lot. And that will be my contribution to backyard travel this year.

In my more than 8 years walking (over 6,000 km training at home and around 3,000 on hikoi in Europe) I have had very few "incidents" and none really serious. So I feel very blessed that I can still plan trips, backyard and overseas.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Artful-Chick, thank you. I misdirected myself by reference to Glenorchy and what seemed to be snow on the tops on the other side of Whakatipu (?) but confused by the seat and the concrete path.

I walked from Warkworth in April 2019 with the intention of Taupo. Spent a day getting from Dairy Flat to Takapuna: so little Te Araroa signage and so many turns - exhausting from Murrays Bay down to Devonport and after Auckland University to Onehunga from having to check at each corner where to next. Canned at Cambridge as there had been a serious loss of life a bit further south along where I intended to walk the next day. And got so many shots of Rangitoto and other places on that jaunt.

Hope to return to Warkworth later this year and walk Te Araroa to Wellington. Plan to avoid the exhausting section down the coast by circling around through Henderson to Onehunga. But my advanced years say no solo trips in the hills (except 2 days over Pirongia!!) so bus from Taumaranui. Start again at Whanganui and walk to Levin (new bridge south of Foxton) to catch a bus to Waikanae. Then carry on to Wellington. That's the dream but weather, especially wind, will decide a lot. And that will be my contribution to backyard travel this year.

In my more than 8 years walking (over 6,000 km training at home and around 3,000 on hikoi in Europe) I have had very few "incidents" and none really serious. So I feel very blessed that I can still plan trips, backyard and overseas.
Well done, Alwyn. I lived in Dairy Flat many years ago. Walking to Takapuna, not for the faint-hearted. On Day One of our Camino Portuguese walk we met a young fit German man who had attempted to walk the Te Araroa. He said it was too dangerous, lacked signposting so flew home and did a Camino.
Keep on enjoying your backyard walks.

Yes in our area Torbay- Devonport, the Te Araroa seems to consist of various separate beach/cliff walks, linked together by streets. All of these walks were longtime existing tracks and shortcuts, many used by locals to reach the beach - so I think thats why is is so confusing. I had walked them for years when suddenly I noticed they had new Te Araroa trailmakers. So most of the locals know them by other names. Most of the people you meet are either walking the dog or going for a swim.

Thank you Alwyn, my Maori language skills are not great, but these I know.
The photos were taken on Auckland's North Shore - coastal route between Mairangi Bay and Brown's Bay.
I shouldn't worry about your te reo Māori skills - they can't be worse than the report today that both a leather store in Wellington and a Canadian brewery have both branded their New Zealand products as "huruhuru"* although this falls short of Coca-Cola's attempt of Kia ora, Mate which, apparently, means "Hello, Death"

A genuine Kia Ora! from the UK (where it's the name of an orange juice drink.)

* @AlwynWellington might like to translate?

I walked from Warkworth in April 2019 with the intention of Taupo.
Hope to return to Warkworth later this year and walk Te Araroa to Wellington.
Oh my...you're not faint of heart, Alwyn, that's for sure. So to say 'Kia kaha' seems superfluous, but kia kaha anyway: even 'just' Warkworth to Taumaranui is quite a feat.

"huruhuru"*

Like a lot of things, you pays your money and you take your choice. A good first resource is found at Maori dictionary. There I found these alternatives for "huru"

a) huru
1. (verb) to glow, rise (of the sun).

2. (modifier) rising, glowing.
3. (noun) glow.

b) huru
1. (noun) undergrowth, brushwood.
2. (noun) hair.
3. (noun) feather.
4. (noun) white dog-skin cloak - made of whole skins sown together (a huru kuri)

c) huru
1. (verb) to dislike, refuse, have an aversion to.

d) huru
1. (verb) to gird, put on (a belt, etc.).

But context is everything. If you go to the link (set for "Huru") you will see examples of usage.

Word doubled up:
Often a word repeated adds an emphasis.
For example "ringa" = "arm or hand" and "ringaringa" may indicate "fingers".

Continued in next post

Last edited:
Continuing post #20

A search for "huruhuru" gives two examples:
a) huruhuru
(noun) diffused light.

b) huruhuru
(noun) hair, feather, coarse hair, bristles (not normally of the head), fur.

The examples give meanings in context.

The Canadian use may be from a First Nation. If the images on the can/bottle. whatever is south west Pacific (Polynesian and not north east Pacific or First Nations) then the brewery might be saying "hair of the dog", meaning a morning after remedy. 🙄😵🤢🤑

Again you pays your money and takes your choice.

And I've added a further post on "Kia ora"

Continuing post #20

a) huruhuru
(noun) diffused light.

b) huruhuru

The Canadian use may be from a First Nation. If the images on the can/bottle. whatever is south west Pacific (Polynesian and not north east Pacific or First Nations) then the brewery might be saying "hair of the dog", meaning a morning after remedy. 🙄😵🤢🤑

Yes I asked my husband who is a native Te Reo speaker, and like many languages there are dialects so usage can vary from region to region (He was responsible for language and subtitling at Maori TV, so practice with dialects). Hair; including that of the nether regions variety.

It made me think of people who get tattoos in other languages, without knowing the exact meaning.
A girl we worked with had a Chinese symbol on her arm, that did not mean what she thought it did. A Chinese co-worker explained that it wasn't what she thought, but didn't say what it did mean.

Last edited:
@Jeff Crawley, you mentioned, at your post #18, "kia ora" and "mate" as examples you have encountered in the UK(?).

Many of you may have seen the start of an international game of rugby with one side dressed all in black. Their chant starts: "Ka mate, ka mate, ka ora, ka ora ..." The context is just after a battle and the composer (an interesting chief from my local region) has lost. His reflection starts "'Tis death, 'tis death", he further reflects on what is about him and continues "'Tis life, 'tis life".

Kia ora has transformed from having a focus of health or life (still used in that context in hospitals, for example) to a general greeting or acknowledgement ("thank you"). So, in context, the orange drink may be healthy depending, of course, on what has been added. It still pays to look at the label before paying your money and taking your choice.

@Jeff Crawley, for the request kia ora, for the future kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going - when you can).

Hair; including that of the nether regions variety

Yes, the online Maori Dictionary took me down that rabbit hole as well.

And thanks for the amplification about regional dialects and usages. My experiences tell me they are present in many languages and meanings (or emphasis) can change over time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Up until September 2019, I didn't have a good track record with the Camino. Camino Frances-2014 and Camino Portuguese-2016 involved injuries, subsequent physical rehab each time. So while I never joined the Camino forum, I did often look at some of the posts. What prompted me to join was the pandemic and my concern for the Spanish people who support the Camino. I like that Ivar has enabled us to donate directly to some of those beautiful people. So I decided it was time to join as a donating member. Also, I'm a hobbyist blogger (no income derived). Slightly Camino obsessed and have written and continue to write about the good, the bad and the disappointments of those three journey's, as well as other travels. Currently here in NZ, we are all about backyard travel, but I like to think I will get to do one last Camino.
Artful-Chick, I must have missed something--
Artful-Chick, I may have missed something in your story, but what was it about your 2019 pilgrimage that worked out well (vis-a-vis the first two)? Sounds like you learned something that helped you get through the last Camino walked. Good for you!

In part reply to the invitation by @Jeff Crawley at post #18 above I add further, also from the haka (or war chant) "Ka mate", an example of huruhuru.

The third sentence of "Ka mate" refers to a neutral chief who gave the fleeing defeated composer refuge:
Tenei te tangata pūhuruhuru ... (This is the hairy man ...)

For those who like rabbit holes here is an description of Haka and giving a context for "Ka mate".

Again, @Jeff Crawley, kia ora.

@Jeff Crawley, you mentioned, at your post #18, "kia ora" and "mate" as examples you have encountered in the UK(?).

Many of you may have seen the start of an international game of rugby with one side dressed all in black. Their chant starts: "Ka mate, ka mate, ka ora, ka ora ..." The context is just after a battle and the composer (an interesting chief from my local region) has lost. His reflection starts "'Tis death, 'tis death", he further reflects on what is about him and continues "'Tis life, 'tis life".

Kia ora has transformed from having a focus of health or life (still used in that context in hospitals, for example) to a general greeting or acknowledgement ("thank you"). So, in context, the orange drink may be healthy depending, of course, on what has been added. It still pays to look at the label before paying your money and taking your choice.

@Jeff Crawley, for the request kia ora, for the future kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going - when you can).
AlwynWellington, is this rugby team you mention the All Blacks (I think that's the correct name)? A few years ago I was visiting friends in the south of France. They took me to a rugby game where one team was from NZ. They did this wonderful chanting and stance before the game starts.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I shouldn't worry about your te reo Māori skills - they can't be worse than the report today that both a leather store in Wellington and a Canadian brewery have both branded their New Zealand products as "huruhuru"* although this falls short of Coca-Cola's attempt of Kia ora, Mate which, apparently, means "Hello, Death"

A genuine Kia Ora! from the UK (where it's the name of an orange juice drink.)

Although Kia Ora Mate strictly translated entirely into Te Reo does mean that, it is actually a very common greeting for us, we use Kia ora mate , in the same way that Aussies use the words Gidday Mate. Its what you yell out when you see someone you know.
We often use a mix of Te Reo and slang English - Kia ora (Te Reo) Mate (english).
Kia Ora for us is a common term, its how we always answer the phone, and how we greet people all the time.
It sounds confusing but we often speak in a mix of both languages.

Last edited:
AlwynWellington, is this rugby team you mention the All Blacks (I think that's the correct name)? A few years ago I was visiting friends in the south of France. They took me to a rugby game where one team was from NZ. They did this wonderful chanting and stance before the game starts.
Yes if it was our national team, it would be the All Blacks, and they always do a haka before each game. Some other Pacific nations also perform their version of a haka as well.

visiting friends in the south of France

Yes, indeed.

I was walking from Le Puy a few years ago and got caught in firstly strong winds and then a downpour. With the wind I could not get my poncho and the two together was getting my body temperature to plummet. Many, many cars went past my outstretched thumb - a wet person is not much company, until a very old small car, driven by a young woman did stop. She asked where I came from. As soon as she heard New Zealand she took both hands off the wheel and started a haka chant with actions.

I should not have been too surprised. All the way from Manciet (where my gite host had been a professional player) I encountered indications of rugby country. At Gondrin I passed a rugby club house. At Miramont-Sensacq I saw posters noting a regional final in a nearby town. And earlier that day I entered Mourenx and passed a Ford motor car dealership with a massive hoarding showing an example that company's fine products front and centre. But it wan't till I got up close that I could make out the human figures were a few forward on one side with the vestige of a backline on the other.

Most touring teams will take a haka with them. Some players say the words and actions can give them an enhance esprit d'corp well into the first half.

Kia ora

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Continuing post #20

a) huruhuru
(noun) diffused light.

b) huruhuru

No, it was a Canadian brewery, Hell’s Basement, which called its New Zealand Pale Ale huruhuru and a New Zealand guy called Te Hamua Nikora who picked it up citing the second definition:

1. (noun) hair, feather, coarse hair, bristles (not normally of the head), fur.

In part reply to the invitation by @Jeff Crawley at post #18 above I add further, also from the haka (or war chant) "Ka mate", an example of huruhuru.

The third sentence of "Ka mate" refers to a neutral chief who gave the fleeing defeated composer refuge:
Tenei te tangata pūhuruhuru ... (This is the hairy man ...)

For those who like rabbit holes here is an description of Haka and giving a context for "Ka mate".

Again, @Jeff Crawley, kia ora.
In France towards the end of the '90s (99 World Cup?) and saw a range of International Rugby shirts for sale in a sporting goods supermarket. The one that stood out was the All Blacks shirt - not for the design but for the tag sewn inside next to the care label:

"MOST SWEATERS KEEP YOU WARM, ONLY ONE MAKES YOU SHIVER."

Sadly it disintegrated many moons ago after much wear. Wish I'd cut out and kept the label though ;)

Artful-Chick, I must have missed something--

Artful-Chick, I may have missed something in your story, but what was it about your 2019 pilgrimage that worked out well (vis-a-vis the first two)? Sounds like you learned something that helped you get through the last Camino walked. Good for you!
Hi Mycroft, the short story is on my Camino Frances 2014 and Camino Portuguese 2015 journey my many years of sedentary work had taken its toll on my body. I had fallen on both of the Camino's. However, I broke my ankle in three places on our last day in Portugal. The cumulative effect resulted in a hip replacement. I recently wrote about - Ways to Santiago de Compostela - mainly because I have been concerned about the number of people going on Camino this year without a Plan B.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That still leaves a broad scope. As you invited a translation you might care to offer the understanding you were given, for the enlightenment of us all.

@Jeff Crawley, kia ora (te reo), mate (English)
Here's the article I read in the Guardian a couple of days back.

Take care and keep on showing the world how to get things done right.

Kia Ora to you too Alwyn.

AlwynWellington, is this rugby team you mention the All Blacks

As @Anamiri says, if all clothing was black, then yes it was the national team from Aotearoa / New Zealand called All Blacks.

There are two myths as to how they came by that soubriquet, both from the 1905 tour of the United Kingdom.

The first was a local reporter meant to write they were "all backs" as all 15 players were perceived as being on the move all the time.

The second was a reference to the unrelieved black colour of their on field clothing.

You pays your money and you take your choice.

A consequence of those colours (black and silver/white) are the colours of the New Zealand War Service Medal (1939 to 1945) and the New Zealand Operation Service Medal (1945 to present).

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going when you can)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Take care and keep on showing the world how to get things done right

I wish the rest of the world, weighed down by their superior weight (as in a scrum ;)) would take note of the superior views of those of all of us from the upper hemisphere (the immediate neighbours to my west excepted 🙄😂).

As always, kia kaha katoa (may all be strong, take care, get going when they can)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kia Ora everyone. I was booked to do the Portuguese in September. Gutted!!
Kia Kaha.
Hello/Kia Ora, from another kiwi lass. I too would be feeling gutted. Hopefully, you were able to get a full refund? Here's to another year when many of us first-timers and the experienced can tackle the walk.

Kia Kaha, stay safe and well.

Starting off from Porto would be interesting - on a previous visit we really enjoyed that city. With my limited knowledge, it would seem the Portugal leg isn't as popular as starting from France or Spain?

That’s part of the attraction. I’ve done the Frances twice. Got a full refund from Air NZ and a credit from booking agency. Havnt booked before but thought I’d give it a go this time

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That’s part of the attraction. I’ve done the Frances twice. Got a full refund from Air NZ and a credit from booking agency. Havnt booked before but thought I’d give it a go this time
Booking? Do you mean you booked your walk or accommodation. Starting from Portugal interests me as we have covered a fair bit of Spain and France though that was by car/train not walking 🙂

Booking? Do you mean you booked your walk or accommodation. Starting from Portugal interests me as we have covered a fair bit of Spain and France though that was by car/train not walking 🙂
Yes, used natural adventure company. Used them last year when I did the West Highland and Great Glen Way in Scotland. With everywhere so busy now it gives you certainty on accomodation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Mycroft, the short story is on my Camino Frances 2014 and Camino Portuguese 2015 journey my many years of sedentary work had taken its toll on my body. I had fallen on both of the Camino's. However, I broke my ankle in three places on our last day in Portugal. The cumulative effect resulted in a hip replacement. I recently wrote about - Ways to Santiago de Compostela - mainly because I have been concerned about the number of people going on Camino this year without a Plan B.
Wow, Artful, sounds like you have been through the proverbial mill with all that. I send you good wishes and good health!

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.