• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kiwi Newbie

GypsySoul

Hey guys,
I'm Britt a 20 year old kiwi planning to do the Camino solo in April 2011.
I am very excited and I have a lot of questions to ask.
I'm planning to do the Camino as the start of my European backpacking adventures.
I'm looking to get a hybrid pack- one with a big pack and a smaller back pack on the front. I am wondering if there is a place I can leave my pack at the start of the pilgrimage and collect at the end as I don't want to carry the whole thing. Also, will the backpack itself be large enough or should I use the big pack with it only part way full?
I have one good pair of hiking boots, will this be ok or should I get another pair of boots/sandals?
I drink a lot of water, around 3litres a day. Is a camel pack a good option or are there water fountains to refill water bottles along the way?
I have more questions and I look forward to chatting with you guys as I plan my trip over the next few months.
Talk soon =)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
hi Britt and welcome to the forum. A couple of points for you to consider:-

the quality of the harness is what would make me decide on whether I took a half empty large pack or the small one. I believe that a slightly heavier pack with a really good harness is better than a smaller/lighter pack with an ineffectual harness. I actually carried a One planet travel pack on my first Camino and didn't notice the size or weight becasue the harness is so extraordianrily good.

With regard to the camel versus other methods of carrying water I will give my thoughts (as I know they are different to other people on this forum). I would rather carry a water bottle and know how much water I have (and therfore if I have to ration it) than carry a camel from which I might be drinking copious amounts and then not have any water when I really needed it. I too drink a lot, but I always drank a glass of water at a bar when I stopped for coffee, and there are plenty of opportunities to fill up a bottle along the way. I only ever carried a litre of water (and I walk in the summer) and on the odd long stretches when fountains might have been a problem I would just purchase a bottle of water to supplement what I was carrying.

You could use Ivar's storage facility from this forum for storing things you need at the end of the trip. Enjoy your planning, Cheers, Janet

Hi Kiwi Newbie
I have been reading this Forum every morning and suddenly my dream is beginning to appear real - as today you are refering to your walk in April 2011 and that is when I plan to do the Camino Frances.It will be my first time but I am in my 50s from South Africa. Who knows maybe our paths will cross. Best Wishes and Happy Days!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,
I would go for the smaller pack--if it is big enough. I carried a 30 liter pack which was one of the smallest that I saw. So, if the small pack is smaller than that, it might be tough to fit in all of your essentials. As the above poster mentioned, it must be comfortable to carry as well.
I am not sure where you are starting but perhaps you could book a pension or hostal in advance of your first night and ask them via telephone or email if it would be possible to store your pack there for the duration of your trip. One pair of boots should be sufficient for walking but you will want to have a spare pair of shoes for evenings--sandals or crocs. I also drink A LOT of water but generally carried only two 500 ml bottles as there are many opportunities to refill them (fountains, cafes, bars, etc.). Good luck to you.

Hey ladies,
Thanks for all your information and advice.
After going into the store to check out what packs are available and the sizes, I think I will take the large pack with me. I plan to get a 65L pack and the backpack from my estimation is around 20L. I don't believe this will be enough to take on its own.
So I think I will stay at a hostel for a few nights before I plan to start so I can organise my pack and remove all the excess stuff that I will need for the rest of my travels. I think I will need to package it all up and send it to Santiago where I can collect it at the end. Does that sound like it would work?
I just have a few further questions.. I have an Australian bank acc, will I be able to just withdraw money from my account and use it along the way?

I understand the weather can be a bit of a mixed bag in April, I'm just trying to decide the weight of a sleeping bag.. Will it be cold around then or just rainy?

I am so excited, and I hope to meet many of you along the way =)

Britta

Hi Britta, I use a debit visa card at ATM's along the Camino without any difficulty. You may need to plan and access an ATM (they will ask what language you want) in the bigger towns and cities as of course, as it is here, some of the smaller villages don't have such facilities. None the less there are plenty along the way and I have never had any issues. I usually try and take out the maximum allowed to cut down on our Horrendous bank fees here in Aust. Indeed I try a couple of times if the first one has set too low a withdrawal figure. A lot of the Spanish ATM's will only allow you to take out 300 euros - but I can usually manage to find one that will let me take out 500 (just one less set of fees to pay!) Cheers, Janet

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Britt

I use a Travelex cash card, obtained at my local post office. It is a debit card, but once you pay the fee involved in exchanging Aussie dollars for euros before you leave, there are no withdrawel fees when you get money from an ATM in Spain.

We will be in Spain at the same time next year, but I am walking from Seville in the south. Will arrive in Compostela around the middle of May.

Buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Hey guys,

More questions from me...
I am doing a lot of planning about what to pack etc but I haven't put much thought into the actual route I will be taking. I think I'll do the Camino Frances but is it ok to just arrive and plan the journey as I go? I'm very much into going where the road takes me as I believe that is where the beauty lies and the unexpected happens but I don't want to get caught short.
:roll:

Hi Britta, The main reason that I plan in detail is to know that I have allowed enough time to do what I want to before having to catch a plane home. If you are doing this at the start of your European adventure and you have no bookings for about 5 - 6weeks then it should be fine to just "go with the flow". By April the albergues should be opening up and so you shouldn't have any prblems with accomodation. Cheers, Janet

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for your advice Janet. I don't really have an intinerary or time frame so maybe I will be ok to plan it as I go. I think I'd like to travel around Spain afterwards so I'm happy to take it easy.

I'm just thinking about the early starts on the camino.. I saw in another post someone talking about how annoying it was when other peoples alarms went off in the morning. I was just wondering what the way around it is as I completely understand how annoying that could be?
Any suggestions?

Hi again, I can only speak for myself here and so this is what I do. Because I am almost always walking in the height of summer I like to make an early start to make the most of the cool of the morning. However - I have no mobile phone and don't know how to set my watch on alarm (deliberately) and I just let myself wake at whatever time I do. if it is later, that tells me my body need the extra sleep, if early (and it was, mostly, once I got used to it) I would get up and go. However, I had almost everything packed the night before and when I awoke I would, as quietly as I could, pick up my pack and take it outside the dorm - sometimes even literarlly outside - and then tiptoe back to pick up sleeping bag etc. I have a little red LED light that I attach to my watch band - it has a piece of elastic that I loop around the band - and I do a final check under the bed etc and sneak out. I NEVER pack in the dorm, and I NEVER use a head light or a white light for that early morning check because it can be very distrubing to those nearby.

It is not only the alarms that are disturbing, but also the plastic bags that rustle etc. That is whay I don't even pack up my sleeping bag where others are sleeping.

The little red LED light is avaiable from Kathmandu - wait till they have their sales on though! I also use it for nocturnal trips to the loo etc or if the dorm lights are turned out before I get to bed for some reason.

Cheers, Janet

Hi Britt – good on you for planning to give the Camino a go. I see the other old hands are giving you some good advice, and while in danger of sounding like your mother I’ll add some more (and yes this is the advise I gave my own kiwi daughter on her first Camino).

NEVERs – I can’t stress Janet’s comment enough, weeks on the road with people little things like this get noticed and really piss people off. Pack the night before, get up and go, makes the day run smoothly.

DONTs – walk in the heat of the day. It’s madness. Try to start early, aim to get to your destination for lunch (between 1-3pm) this will mean you can eat or get your shopping done, before everything closes down for the day (and you are not walking in the afternoon heat), otherwise you will find yourself circling the town with the rest of the hungry pilgrims at 9 o’clock at night.

READ - Before you go, do read and research where you plan to go. While it’s nice to go with the flow, the Camino has an amazing history and a real pain when you realise that 50km back was an amazing church / roman bridge / view / parador you wanted to see. Make the trip your own – pick a starting point that you are interested in, and make the most of the trip and places you pass through. If you start at Roncesvalles then you should do it in 5 weeks, especially as oldies like us did if from St Jean in 4. But also take a look at alternative routes; the VIP is a great alternative.

ATMs- yes they work fine, and take kiwi efpos / Aussie cards. 300 Euro goes a long way on the Camino and it’s good not to carry too much cash on you at any one time. Just keep your cards and passport safe somewhere safe.

PHONE – Take it if you must, probably a good idea if you are heading off on your own. But turn it off, not just to save the battery but also to save annoying the be-jezeus out of us old crankies who hate the things going beep beep, and try and avoid txting or calling to say “guess where I am”, its just lame and will deprive you of the wonderful experience that dropping out on the Camino gives. But your Mum will probably enjoy the odd call to let her know you are still alive, and if you don’t call she may contact the Guardia Seville to search for you as my daughter did when we went off the grid for too long.

SEND POSTCARDs – old fashion yes, but a handwritten note is something people keep and treasure… and it satisfies the base craving to go NahNahNah I am on exotic holiday and you’re not… not very Christian of me I know.

PACK - Proper harness, whatever the size, we use Mac pac (but then most kiwis do). If you go in spring as you plan you won’t need a 65L pack, a 30L pack is fine, aim or 7kg fully loaded (without water) or lighter. As your sleeping bag will take up most of the room in your pack, see if you can get a lightweight one (Mac pac do a good one) or ditch it and take a sleep sack / sheet as the refuges have blankets, a bit manky but useable. Take some merino tramping thermals; check out icebreaker no stink range as these allow you to layer up to keep warm. Take less clothes but make sure it all can be hand washed and dry overnight.

WATER - Camels are great, but take a back up bottle of water as you can easily drink through 2/3 L with the constant sipping. Lots of places to fill up, but not always when you need them.

BOTAS? Walking shoes (Merrell do a great range) not boots – sandals are a good alternative too. NZ tramping boots will give you problems as they are not designed for hard rock Camino walking everyday – and grease your feet with a good foot cream every day before you set off – this is very important (and hard earned) advise.

And do not think you can send your pack or stuff ahead. Alberuges will not let you in if the discover you are “auto-assit” as you are not a real pilgrim. Pack properly and carry it yourself, you will also benefit of the pride in completing the Camino “properly”.

Have a great time!

And most important of all.
Pack light, and look after your feet. You will be fine.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Helen,

Thanks for all your advise. There is some great info there and some really handy tips!
I'm a pretty considerate person anyway which is why I am asking about the alarm because I would hate to be disturbing people. I think the red light bracelet sounds like the best idea for light.
I am still not sure about the alarm because as advised by a few people I don't want to be walking during the heat of the day but I think at the start I might be inclined to over sleep without an alarm. I am sure I will work something out though.
The reason I want to send my stuff on is not because I don't want to carry it, I plan to travel extensively around Europe after the Camino and don't want to be carrying a whole lot of stuff that is not necessary to the Camino. So I will still have my normal pack ( I have found a really great NZ company called Aarn) but the rest of my travel gear will be sent to the end.
There is a huge Kathmandu store near to me so lots of stuff to shop for!
Thanks again for all the info I appreciate you passing on you knowledge as it gets a bit overwhelming at times.
=)

Hey Team,

So I'm looking to book my flights to Paris in the next few weeks and I just wanted to confirm my itinerary with you guys first to make sure I'm on the right track.
There are heaps of posts about this so I want to make sure I have the right info.
I plan to fly into Paris around the end of April- stay the night there ( hopefully at a backpackers near the airport or train station) then catch a train from Paris down to Bayonne- stay a night there and then catch a train down to St Jean..
Have I got it right?

Go straight from Paris to St Jean Pied de Port, there is no need for an overnight. I left Paris around 10 am and got to St Jean between five and six pm from memory. Have a great trip, Gitti

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Britta,
Welcome to the forum. You have already received lots of good advice. I carry four 250ml bottles of water. I have made two little pockets that fit on the front of my belt that hold the bottles and I don't have to go rooting into my ruck each time I want a drink.
I would suggest that you go walking one day with your rucksack filled exactly as it will be on the Camino and walk for several hours so that if anything is uncomfortable you can fix it at home.
Also come with compeed, large and small. Rub vaseline on the feet each morning. after about 12 k take off your boots and socks and air the feet a little and put on more vaseline. It really helps to prevent blisters.
It is well worth while to learn some spanish. You still have four months. If you can borrow some cd's of tapes and listen. It enriches the experience so much if you can speak to local people. I found the spanish people to be so very very kind and helpful to me.

I am flying to Bilbao on May 3rd and bussing it to Pamplona next day so maybe we will meet up at some point

Buen Camino
Lydia

Good to see you still keen and planning ahead... I assume you are planning on walking the French route, but most of the camino's in spring time are interesting and the numbers drop off after a holy year so you should be fine.

My daughter and I completed our latest camino last December and while she's 20 younger (and probably as many kgs lighter) then me, and considerably fitter it stuck me that gym fitness and youth isn't necessarily better then age and experience on the camino... Pace yourself and enjoy the trip. Most likely you will join up with others on the way but remember it's a long haul, take the time to adjust to the local time / weather / opening hours and what your body can handle walk wise.

While it's great you are so keen, don't take too many expectations with you, enjoy what you discover (both on the route and about yourself) as you go.

Cheers Hel

hel&scot wrote:
PHONE – Take it if you must, probably a good idea if you are heading off on your own. if you don’t call she may contact the Guardia Seville to search for you as my daughter did when we went off the grid for too long.

I assume you or your daughter took a phone? What is her view on this?

71 year old Kiwi

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Britta, one last piece of advice which I think is important:

CALL YOUR BANK and let them know you will be traveling in Europe. Tell them which countries you will be in. Otherwise, you may find yourself stranded when they reject the ATM withdrawals, believing your card to have been stolen.

Write your bank card number/telephone number and your passport number on a separate sheet of paper and carry it in a different place from your cards/passport. That way IF something is stolen or lost, it's much easier to get a replacement.

I agree with shoes, not boots.
I think you can still leave your pack in Santiago - there is a thread here about the Pilgrim's center closing but someone willing to store your stuff. We did this and it worked great.

Buen Camino!

Hi britt

I agree with Gittiharre. If you can, travel straight through to St Jean on the same day without staying a night in either Paris or Bayonne. There is no need to, unless of course if you would like to. I would instead stay a night in St Jean, or even two, to rest well from the long haul, and to adjust to the time difference, before starting the walk. I would also consider stopping at Orisson (or Valcarlos; depending on the route you would take) rather then trying to walk from St Jean into Roncesvalles as a single stage. This will allow you to gently break into the camino.

Enjoy, and buen camino.
Rebecca

Britt- to be a dissenting voice here :wink: I spent four nights in Paris itself before I ventured down to Le Puy to begin my Camino. I love exploring in Paris, and it gave me a chance to get over jetlag before I started walking. The journey from New Zealand is a long one, and I didn't want to start walking while I felt like a zombie.
Margaret

JALAN JAUH said:
I assume you or your daughter took a phone? What is her view on this?

I took my phone on the solo trip I did several years ago and used it mainly as a clock / alarm as I don't wear a watch. Only useful bit was when I used it to call mom and ask her for directions to the pilgrim office at the end of the trip.

On my latest camino (ingles and portugues) I didn't take a phone and didn't miss it at all, great to be off the grid and not to worry about being in constant touch.

Fran (AKA "Hel's daughter")

I didn't take a phone and I never missed it.
There are plenty of places along the way to find phones and computers to keep in touch.

And using it as an alarm clock?
So YOU're the guy! :!:

Honestly, just get up when you wake up.
You can not oversleep.
The hospitalero will turn on the lights and wake you up in plenty of time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
From a personal point I would take a simple phone on PAYG. Talk or text type, no internet. Mine is small and has my family and emergency phone contacts, including my bank. If needed it can be used to phone ahead for accomodation, or even a taxi if needed. Just keep it turned off and only use if needed and it won't need charging much/often, that is what we will do this year.
You can buy cheap phones with credit on them in Spain, or bring one from home if it will work on the Spanish systems (mostly Orange and Movistar I think). The latter would probably need to be well topped up with credit before you set out, or have a system in place for topping up during your Camino.
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

Hi Newbie

Wow, lots of info. I agree with many of the posts and I would take other approaches to some. Here is my two cents worth:

your back pack - the bigger the pack the more stuff you will take that you don't need. You can send stuff to Post Restaunt in Santiago that you are not using and pik it up when you get there. You will only be able to send your pack ahead one day or two at a time IF you know where you will stay for sure AND that place cannot be a pilgrim hostel.

water - I have a camel back and would't go without it. Last year I ran out of water BECAUSE I did not refresh the water in the bag. I bought water for a change and ran out between towns. I was out for a day with dehydration.

ATMs are easy to find and are user friendly

If you stay in Paris, (I would) check out http://www.hostelworld.com for great places to stay. IN fact use it for any city to plan to stay in when you are finished your Camino the places aare cheap cheerful and clean.

Footwear, make sure you have room in your footwear for your feet to expand during the day. If not you will be blister prone. I would stay away from sandels for the walking, good for end of day, your feet could kill the trip for you if you do not get the support you need from the boots/shoes.

If you follow a good map of the Camino Frances, just go with the flow. If you need to move faster, take a bus, it is not a "sin' :wink:

I am writing a blog for newbies ckeep checking on it until you go. I hope you will find it useful.

Might I also add that if possible take two cards. I have taken two visa cards with access to my bank account for many years, and has saved me on two occasions when a card has been stopped because of fraud (not by me!). Also it is difficult for your card issuer to get the replacement to you if you wish to continue walking, as the replacement is delivered by courier and the courier and card issuer require a receipt signed personally by you.
And another hint. I found nappy pins very useful - can be used for temporary repairs to clothing, pack etc, but especially to pin laundry to the back of your pack to dry as your are walking. David

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hotels in Paris and Bayonne

There have been many references to staying in Paris/Bayonne/Biarritz to recover from a long flight before starting the Camino from St Jean. Can anyone recommend reasonably priced accomodation in these cities. I will be flying from Australia. I have been to Paris before for brief stays and St Jean last year, but don't know Biarritz or Bayonne so which is the more interesting city for 3 nights. I would be grateful for any advice. David

Hi David, I just checked www.hostelworld.com and found hotstels in Paris for between 30 and 50 dollars Canadian. Not sure of the conversion. There are many hostels in great locaations in Paris according to this site. I love this site, so far I not disappointed.

Hi Camino David, when I was in Bayonne getting ready to walk through to Irun to start the Camino del Norte I actually stayed with a wonderful lady who takes pilgrims in for around 20 euro I think from memory. I actually got her name from the information that the pilgrim desk in the Cathedral in Bayonne gave me, and I could look out her lounge room window and look at people going in and out the Cathedral door, which was right opposite!. Bayonne / Biarritz are sort of the same city - next door to each other, but Bayonne is closer to the train station - it is a lovely city to spend a day. There is a wonderful modern art gallery and a Basque museum that I spent many hours perusing things in. The river there is fascinating too - when I first arrived it was flowing one way and 5 hours later the other - it is strongly tidal.

I will call janeh from this forum - she stayed in a apparently very convenient and pleasant hotel right opposite the railway station. When I find out the name I will post it for you. reagrds, Janet

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I believe Hotel Paris Madrid is the very pilgrim-friendly hotel next to the train station in Bayonne.

Yes indeed - have just been in touch with Jane and she confirms:-

Hotel Paris Madrid, Bayonne.

I am thrilled to see these posts. I will be looking for the same info in September when I start the Camino North thanks everyone

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is actually a very pleasant couple of days walking down to Irun from Bayonne - indeed the "friends" group man a desk in the cathedral in Bayonne and you can get your first sello / tampon there (and pick up a credenciale too if needed). There were no pilgrim refuges though until Irun and so you will probably have to stay in a hotel on the way (I was in the tourist season and so I just slept out in an out of the way spot!). I was in St Jean de Luz when they had a Basque mass on the Saturday evening - the male voice choir was fantastic! Cheers, Janet

Everyone reacts to jet lag differently. Starting the Camino with a rest works for some. Beginning the walk immediately works for others. Advice really should not be much use to you -- you need to know your own needs. Here are some standard jet lag recommendations:

After You Fly (from eSortments)
· At your destination, walk barefoot on the ground, if possible, and/or swim in the ocean or soak in an Epsom salt bath. This will help ground your electromagnetic system.
· As soon as possible, stand in direct sunlight for 10-20 minutes without glasses.
· Start moving as soon as you get off the plane, e.g., use the stairs and avoid the elevators, escalators and moving sidewalks.
· Keep your mind off of the time difference. Don’t think about what time it is at home.
· Get some exercise outdoors. Take a walk.
· Keep drinking plenty of water.
· Take a shower or bathe to help re-hydrate and refresh your body.

Falcon your suggestions for refreshing after a long flight are very interesting. They all help the body and mind come alive in the new environment. I couldn't agree more, and would add try to avoid sleep until it is time to go to bed according to that location. At times I have found a short nap, one or two hours help but not any longer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.