Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Kiwi wanting to walk the Camino in Dec 2020

Fantail65

Jul 28, 2019
Queenstown area NZ
Time of past OR future Camino
Would like to walk Dec- Jan the whole way 2020
Hi,
I’m a 54 year old Southland Kiwi womem wanting to walk the Camino during our school holidays ie their winter. I used to do a lot of tramping, including the Milford in my late 30s, but am certainly not fit at the moment so would love advice on:
Weather on the trail during Dec/Jan, in particular the Pyrenees
Advice gear wise to go with the above
Any other tips, tricks etc
Anyone who is interested in doing/ training with me for the trail.

Ta in advance
Helen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jul 18, 2014
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Welcome to the Forum, Piwakawaka!
It will be winter. So be prepared for that.
Because of any number of reasons, many of us go untrained and 'unprepared;' unless you have medical issues, that will likely be OK. Just take the first week slowly and use it for on-the-ground training.

As far as information is concerned, one thing you could start with is to do a search for winter walking, because there are a lot of threads out there with the kind of information you're looking for. Just click on search in the upper right-hand corner of the menu bar.
And then if you have more specific questions, ask away - there is a lot of communal knowledge here (and - warning - no shortage of opinion ;) ).
Buen camino, peregrina. It has begun.

Reactions: Fantail65

hel&scott

Veteran Member
Nov 2, 2008
New Zealand
www.travelblog.org
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
Hi Helen,
As a 56yr old Kiwi I can assure you that your Camino aims are do able. We usually go in Autumn and the winter Camino we did, the Portugeses in Nov/Dec, was wet and muddy. The French route has more accomodation options and you can more easily adjust your stages for the weather. It snows on the Pyrenees but there is good info on the state of the pass and you can always start in Pamploma or further on. Oddly enough we gave up tramping in NZ as we got older mainly due to the weather, and found walking in Europe had better services, such as bars with hot coffee to keep you going.
All the best with your walk
Hel

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Fantail65

Jul 28, 2019
Queenstown area NZ
Hi Helen,
As a 56yr old Kiwi I can assure you that your Camino aims are do able. We usually go in Autumn and the winter Camino we did, the Portugeses in Nov/Dec, was wet and muddy. The French route has more accomodation options and you can more easily adjust your stages for the weather. It snows on the Pyrenees but there is good info on the state of the pass and you can always start in Pamploma or further on. Oddly enough we gave up tramping in NZ as we got older mainly due to the weather, and found walking in Europe had better services, such as bars with hot coffee to keep you going.
All the best with your walk
Hel
Lol yes I’ve yet to see a bar or hot coffe on any tramps here. Thanks for the encouragement and info. I figure if I could manage the Milford, two days of which had a storm which wiped out parts of the track and it was more like climbing than walking, I could manage this. It’s more a what to pack- I don’t want to take anything I have to carry if I don’t want to carry it ie sounds like most of the trail is trail not track if you know what I mean ?

Fantail65

Jul 28, 2019
Queenstown area NZ
Welcome to the Forum, Piwakawaka!
It will be winter. So be prepared for that.
Because of any number of reasons, many of us go untrained and 'unprepared;' unless you have medical issues, that will likely be OK. Just take the first week slowly and use it for on-the-ground training.

As far as information is concerned, one thing you could start with is to do a search for winter walking, because there are a lot of threads out there with the kind of information you're looking for. Just click on search in the upper right-hand corner of the menu bar.
And then if you have more specific questions, ask away - there is a lot of communal knowledge here (and - warning - no shortage of opinion ;) ).
Buen camino, peregrina. It has begun.
Thanks Lvar - Perhaps it should be “It has..........” rather than It has begun.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Gumba

Feb 12, 2017
Australia
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
Hello! We are doing the trip this December and January.. A lovely member here - jl walked the same time frame a few years back - this is her blog: http://mywintercamino.blogspot.com I am sure you will find it an interesting read. There are a few others too.

This website, although down until November will provide you will a list of accommodation - it is updated daily. http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

Happy planning

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog
walking every day for the rest of my life
I’ve done a few routes now and have yet to find anything that approximates our tramping tracks. Think trails and lanes. Neither is better - just different.
BTW, when you get to Europe you might find it useful to favour the word hiking rather than tramping.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides