• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Know a good 2-week route in France?

rsmith0000

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2013) Frances (2014) St. Oswald's Way (2015) Le Puy (2016) Portugues (2018)
Hello, friends. I'm looking for a good route to walk in France, possibly on Vezalay or Le Puy routes. Unfortunately, it's going to have to be about two weeks long, give or take a few days, due to work demands. Does anyone have a suggestion of what section to walk? It will likely be in late September. I've walked in Spain but never in France and my walking companion is new to the whole Camino thing, so I especially want this to be an enjoyable introduction. Thanks for any suggestions or guidance!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not an answer to your question but a suggestion. If you like the sound of any of the routes which are mentioned here or fancy making up your own the French government mapping agency has an excellent website with high-detail topographic maps which show the waymarked GR routes and other long/medium distance footpaths. Might be helpful to give yourself some impression of the landscape you would be passing through:
http://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/accueil or the smartphone version m.geoportail.fr

And - also not a 'camino' but an old pilgrimage route: the Chemin de St. Giles, from Le Puy straight south to the Mediterranean. About 11 or 12 days. It is more or less the same route as the GR 700, the Regordane Way.
The GR is more beautiful, while the Chemin is more historically accurate (which means it is often close to roads). Very very nice walk. There are gîtes and small pensions. Excellent food. Walking is not too too hard.
http://www.gr700-regordane.com/way.htm

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What wonderful suggestions! Thanks to each of you. I'll research these routes and talk to my friend. Truly appreciate your guidance!

Some years ago I walked with my husband from Pau, in France, to Puente la Reina. Both parts, the Arles route in France and the Camino Aragones in Spain have a good pilgrim infrastructure without being crowded. Pau has an airport that many budget airlines fly to and it is easy to get from Puente la Reina to Pamplona and from there to wherever you fly home from. Buen Camino, SY

I appreciate the suggestion. I've seen references to the Arles and Aragones routes but had no idea they connected. I'll check it out. One question: do you know what the total distance would be? Thanks so much, SYates.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked Le Puy to Pamplona in 3 x 12 days .. each was magical and had many natural and architectural highlights .. Le Puy to Figeac .. Figeac to Condom and Condom to Pamplona .. you can't go wrong!
I'm watching this post for 2 week walk suggestions on Vezelay in Sept 17.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.