• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vezelay route early May 2023

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Angela
The Confraterniy of St James also has a website.
Hoping to start this route Mid May 2023.
Tina O

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello, my husband and I will be spending 10 days in the Camino starting from Vezelay on May.8th. It's our first time doing a long distance walk , we're both 62.
We're starting to feel a little nervous!
What's your advice on the wisdom of booking accommodation in advance? I have the list of accommodation from the confraternity.
Any other tips for newbies please!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, my husband and I will be spending 10 days in the Camino starting from Vezelay on May.8th. It's our first time doing a long distance walk , we're both 62.
What's your advice on the wisdom of booking accommodation in advance? I have the list of accommodation from the confraternity.
My friend Jennifer and I start May 6th and I’m 73. We may meet. My experience of walking in France is to book ahead one or two nights as a courtesy as meals are often involved. It also is good to know you’ve got a bed sorted for the night, even though this is not a busy camino. We’ll look out for you.

I started walking this route in 2017, still balking it iin increments. I had no difficulty finding accommodation, usually booking a day or two ahead. Miam Miam Dodo is a good reference. It’s not at alm a busy route, at least in the early stages. You may see no other pilgrims for days. That for me is its beauty. If you’re starting from vezelay be sure to get your pilgrim blessing before you set out. That’s when you’ll know you’re on your way. Bon chemin!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We are currently in Mussidan, and will be ending our trek in Ste. Foy la Grande today, April 29. We ended up in Mussidan for two days because there were no beds in Fraisse and didn't want to do a third super long day in a row ( made a route error out of Perigueux which added 11K to our Saint-Astier day). We had hoped to do a few days after Ste. Foy but no luck with accommodations in Pellegrue or Ste. Ferme. Pilgrim places in Ste. Foy were full so tonight we are in the Grande Hotel de Cité, 66€ per night. We started in Limoges April 20, train from Thiviers to Perigueux bcs did that section 4 years ago. Took a day off in Perigueux for laundry, rest and eating. Rented an apt with washer, laundromats are scarce. I think the refuge on rue Gambetta has a washer. We are 66 and 68 years old, averaging a 2.5 mph pace with 20-21 lb packs. Good footwear, well-fitting packs, and being experienced hikers in the White Mountains of NH have helped. We have both lost 4 lbs, hard to eat enough and we are not fat phobic! Check out Cassandra Overby's book Explore Europe on Foot, very helpful for getting organized. Contact me for more specific questions as we have learned SO much from our 7 days on the trail and love to share with others.

[Moderator removed personal email address. Please use the private Conversation feature to exchange email addresses]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Angela,
Have a look to https://www.voiedevezelay.eu/en
Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.
We downloaded the guide, the route to our GAIA gps which we like more than Maps.me, and the Facilities list. Very helpful. We purchased the paper guide and ripped out pages for the stages we planned to do, to save weight. But, added several days and didn't have paper so relied on signage and the downloaded resources. Very helpful to export route and facility info to your gps. Kept phones in airplane mode to save battery but also have a good portable power pack which we have had to use a couple of times.

We downloaded the guide, the route to our GAIA gps which we like more than Maps.me, and the Facilities list. Very helpful. We purchased the paper guide and ripped out pages for the stages we planned to do, to save weight. But, added several days and didn't have paper so relied on signage and the downloaded resources. Very helpful to export route and facility info to your gps. Kept phones in airplane mode to save battery but also have a good portable power pack which we have had to use a couple of times.
Thanks for replying.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back