• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"La Berrea" on the Camino Vadiniense

peregrina2000

Staff member
The Camino Vadiniense has a logical end of stage stop in Riano. There is a hotel or two in town, but there is also an albergue, about 2 km outside and up. http://www.elrefugioderiano.com (not a camino albergue, but very friendly to pilgrims).

In the fall, they have a number of weekends with programs dedicated to taking you out into the mountains to hunt for the high-testosterone mating males, who appear to engage in all sorts of macho gymnastics. (called La Berrea, according to the email they sent me). I wouldn't want to come upon one while walking, but having seen some male ibex doing this sort of thing in the Sierra de Gredos once, I can tell you it's a pretty spectacular sight. So if you're going to be near Riano anytime between 12th of Sept. and 19th of October, this might be just the weekend outing for you! I have more details if anyone is interested, the info doesn't seem to be up on their website yet unless I'm missing something.

Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back