• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

La Voie du Piémont

Brad Richecoeur

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, this is my first ever post.
I am going to walk my first 'camino', La Voie du Piémont, from Carcasonne to Saint Jean at the end of July. This will be my first long walk in 30 years since trekking in Asia! I'm unsure about what level of challenge to go for, so i thought i'd start at something not too arduous. This walk looks lovely, and gives the possibility of crossing over the Pyrenees at the end when hopefully i will feel more 'mountain fit'.
I am particularly keen to stay away from the more busy areas and keep to the countryside and stay in simple places. I would love any tips about this route that you have.
Thanks
Brad

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Hi, this is my first ever post"
Brilliant. Lots of information here when you search threads. If you are fit and independent you will have no problems. Walked happily this way but stopped shy of Lourdes. Your surname is French?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It will be hot! And you are walking during the time when every employed Frenchman takes vacation, which means they will be competing with you for lodgings. If you can plan your itenerary in advance, and get some reservations - especially in the larger towns or more tourist-interest areas - it will help.

Hi Brad, I seem to remember a fair amount of up and down on this route - it's billed as the foothills of the Pyrenees GR walk! Lourdes is an amazing experience and if you're interested in a prehistory there are some caves in the area that are worth the detour. One bit of advice, you need some awareness of when French shops/bars are open and serve food and even then you can still get it wrong. I hit Bertrand de Comminges on the wrong night and all we could find to eat in the town in the evening was a lady serving salads. Delicious but I think the group of us that were walking/cycling all went to bed very hungry. It is a very beautiful, rural and quiet route.

I am going to walk my first 'camino', La Voie du Piémont, from Carcasonne to Saint Jean at the end of July. This will be my first long walk in 30 years since trekking in Asia! I'm unsure about what level of challenge to go for, so i thought i'd start at something not too arduous. This walk looks lovely, and gives the possibility of crossing over the Pyrenees at the end when hopefully i will feel more 'mountain fit'. I am particularly keen to stay away from the more busy areas and keep to the countryside and stay in simple places. I would love any tips about this route that you have.

I walked the mas d'azil - arudy portion in july 2012 and loved it. it is hilly, it is solitary, it is beautiful. it wasn't too hot and I was mostly alone in the accommodation.

I always called a day in advance for the bed, if for no other reason that they knew I was coming. I took special care with shops, always stocking when possible and asking about opening times.

in mas d'azil I stayed in temple protestant which was attented by a funny pastor. do not miss the huge cave and its excavations, the museum, and for something totally different, affabuloscope.

saint-lizier's pilgrim gite is in the former hôpital st jacques, key in the tourist office. do not miss the house of antoine la salle with its plaque documenting his pilgrimage to santiago in the 17C, st james and other frescoes in palais des eveques, and a scallop on a keystone of the cathedral.

in buzan I slept in a typical mountain cottage high above the village at tatiane's, with bach and beethoven played on guitarres in the evening around a fire. an unforgettable evening. on the way there don't miss st james and his miracles fresco in the church of tramesaygues in audressein. the tiny pilgrim gite in audressein was closed sundeys afternoon when the tourist office was also closed.

friendly bar chez jo in portet-d'aspet had a couple of beds for pilgrims in the attic, and a shop. shower and toilet were in the courtyard. stock on provisions here.

camping on col des ares provided a tent with a sleeping bad and a mattress, a good dinner and a breakfast-to-go. a beautiful panoramic path in the morning was infested with ticks of all sizes and colours!

as there was no shop in saint-bertrand-des-comminges the friendly gite in presbytere was stocked to the brim with everything I could possibly need. do not miss the cathedral. on the way there don't miss the objects found in a grave of a pilgrim who came to st just-de-valcabrere's renown healing chamber hoping to recover. if you want to stock up, there is a supermarket off route in loures-barousse on the way to st just-de-valcabrere.

locating gite d'étape in lortet took a lot of phone conversations with the owner, but I got there in the end. it's not that difficult to find once you know where it is. on the way there, there was a fossilised scallop shell on dispay in the church porch of montsérié.

gite in moulin des barronies had a small shop attached. lovely location by a river. it had a tv so I could watch the opening of the london olympic games!

pilgrim acceuil in bagneres-de-bigorre closed down in fall 2012, but a gite was du to open in a village before the town, gerde.

very friendly gite la ruche in lourdes accommodated only pilgrims to sanatiago. it's up on the northern side of the river and has a nice view of the sancutary. stock on the excellent water by the famous cave. and on food.

tiny pilgrim gite in asson had a bunk and two extra mattresses, plus a kitchen. a local bar had a couple of cans for sale.

at presbytere in asson we had dinner in the lovely garden and the priest introduced us to his white doves and his black cat. there were lots of bakeries in the town.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.