Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Las Médulas. Wow!

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
I’ve made a detour from Ponferrada - off the Francés. I had to see this. The view from the Mirador de Orellan took my breath away. I’d seen lots of photos on the net, and mine is probably not as good as any, but to see this with your own eyes…!
For anyone who doesn’t already know, there used to be a mountain here. The Roman engineers blasted it into oblivion using water under pressure from storage tanks in the higher mountains. They called the technique “Ruina Montium”. ’Nuff said.

IMG_2851.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Where are you off to after this? Following the Inverno or back on the Frances?

IMG_5740.jpeg
I’m willing to bet that the climb to Orellan was steeper in parts than that to Orisson!
Where are you off to after this? Following the Inverno or back on the Frances?
Back to the Francés at Cacabelos. Hostal Siglo! This was a deliberate detour. My hostal in Orellan is fabulous.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Buen camino, @Peregrinopaul, don’t miss the little museum right across from the hotel at the road entrance into town. I thought it was really interesting. There is a second “information center” futher into the area itself, but I’ve never been there. The museum, though, is worth a stop since you’ll be spending more time here anyway!

Buen camino, @Peregrinopaul, don’t miss the little museum right across from the hotel at the road entrance into town. I thought it was really interesting. There is a second “information center” futher into the area itself, but I’ve never been there. The museum, though, is worth a stop since you’ll be spending more time here anyway!
I definitely will. Today I plan to ride the perimetro around the whole site. More to follow! (Hopefully an early morning photo from the mirador).
IMG_5756.jpeg

I’ve made a detour from Ponferrada - off the Francés. I had to see this. The view from the Mirador de Orellan took my breath away. I’d seen lots of photos on the net, and mine is probably not as good as any, but to see this with your own eyes…!
For anyone who doesn’t already know, there used to be a mountain here. The Roman engineers blasted it into oblivion using water under pressure from storage tanks in the higher mountains. They called the technique “Ruina Montium”. ’Nuff said.

View attachment 149890
How do you get here from the Camino? How long of a detour is it?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

View attachment 149890

Attachments

• 97A2AD9C-F94A-4F38-91AF-BABFFBD5A2DC_1_201_a.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 39
Traversing the site down below, among the chestnut trees reminded me of riding through the parkland of an English country house - until the views opened up.
IMG_5769.jpeg
IMG_5768.jpegIMG_5771.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes it was. And a €0.40 entrance fee that the staff member waived! The museum in town does not have much - more a souvenir shop. But it has an explanatory video worth watching.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back