Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late autumn Primitivo?

Trish K

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Nov/Dec (2017)
Camino Norte (2019)
Camino Primitivo (2019)
Camino Portuguese (2020)
I’m planning to walk the Primitivo from 26/10 from Oviedo. I have previously walked the Primitivo, but it was in the month of May. Other than it being a fair bit colder, is it still walkable Oct/Nov? Will albergues mostly be open?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can't say for certain then, but I'm in Tineo as we speak. it's been raining, so muddy/slick as all get out.

There are some places to stay that are closed now (Cá Pacita comes to mind), and good luck finding a place to eat in Tineo on a Monday...I'm in one of two open bars that I've seen. I'd directly check with your planned stops before coming out.

Agree, am walking it now and places list closed at end of October and the accommodations and food are already slim pickings.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I left from Oviedo last year on Sept 26, arrived Oct 7 in Santiago. Many of municipal albergues were closed, and that meant staying the night in Campelliana after Tineo, and not making it on to Borres because they were completely full at the private albergue. Borres has only one food option (unless you pack food to cook from Campelliana or Tineo) regardless of time of year, so that won't change. Missing Borres meant that we went the "low route" and that was fine.
Smaller villages had some slim pickings for sleep possibilities, but until Melide we did not book ahead (a mistake only with Borres).
This year is busier so more things could remain open, but you are also going at a stage somewhat wetter and colder than when I went.
You asked "is it doable?" and I think it is... even if there is not always an abundance of choice.
I noted this year when I went back, that there were a few more private spots that had opened between Lugo and Melide. After Melide things got very busy so we slowed down *a lot* and slept at A Salceda, and at Lavacolla to get "off piste" but you might avoid those population crush problems by going a bit later.
Spouse was on the Ingles last year in *November* (first week), and found it perfectly fine, very navigable... so that might be a useful comparator.

Thanks for your responses. I did think about doing the Norte from Gijon as an alternative, but it doesn't really appeal as there is quite a bit of road walking. I've looked on Gronze and most of the municipal albergues on the stages I'm planning say they open all year. I guess it's just a matter of always phoning a couple of days ahead to be sure. I found on the Invierno last winter that as long as I contacted them in advance, they would usually open for me - even though I was often the only Pilgrim!

Absolutely phone ahead - they take vacations too. And after the last two days of rain, wind, and temperatures in the high 40s / low 50s, be well prepared for cold and wet. As you remember, there aren't a lot of cafe stops on some stages, and they may be closed, too.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back