• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy route in January/February?

Camino Nev

Time of past OR future Camino
St.Jean to Finisterre (summer 2013)
Prague to Finisterre (winter 2014)
Hi!

I'm walking from Prague to Finisterre soon and I will probably be close to the Le Puy stage around Jan/Feb. Does anyone have any tips for this time of year? Will it be uber cold (I plan to sleep out in a sleeping bag).

Thank you for any feedback!

Nev :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You might find it quite difficult to walk some of the Le Puy route at that time of year. In the first week or so there are several sections around 1000m- 1300m altitude which could be snowed in. Some years people find it difficult to leave Le Puy even early in April because of the amount of snow.
Margaret

"Sur ce magnifique plateau granitique, entre burons et forêts, souffle l’esprit nordique : 200 km de pistes relient Brameloup, Nasbinals, Aubrac, Saint-Urcize et Laguiole.AUBRACCarrefour de toutes les stations du plateau, Aubrac est le lieu de départ idéal pour le ski de fond."

On this magnificent granite plateau between mountain huts and forests, breathes the Nordic spirit: 200 km of slopes connecting Brameloup, Nasbinals, Aubrac, Saint-Urcize Laguiole.AUBRACCarrefour and all stations of the plateau, Aubrac is the ideal starting point for cross-country skiing.

http://www.nordic-massif-central.fr/fr/les-sites/les-stations/espace-aubrac-54.html

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You might find it quite difficult to walk some of the Le Puy route at that time of year. In the first week or so there are several sections around 1000m- 1300m altitude which could be snowed in. Some years people find it difficult to leave Le Puy even early in April because of the amount of snow.
Margaret
Thank you Margaret. I'll make sure to bring with me a jumper then :)

"Sur ce magnifique plateau granitique, entre burons et forêts, souffle l’esprit nordique : 200 km de pistes relient Brameloup, Nasbinals, Aubrac, Saint-Urcize et Laguiole.AUBRACCarrefour de toutes les stations du plateau, Aubrac est le lieu de départ idéal pour le ski de fond."

On this magnificent granite plateau between mountain huts and forests, breathes the Nordic spirit: 200 km of slopes connecting Brameloup, Nasbinals, Aubrac, Saint-Urcize Laguiole.AUBRACCarrefour and all stations of the plateau, Aubrac is the ideal starting point for cross-country skiing.

http://www.nordic-massif-central.fr/fr/les-sites/les-stations/espace-aubrac-54.html
Thank you newfydog. I might also then drag along with me the old pair of skis I have in my barn :)

Thank you Margaret. I'll make sure to bring with me a jumper then :)

Put it this way Nev- first day on the Aubrac Plateau I was thoroughly saturated and cold just from the rain- fell into the gite at Rieutort d'Aubrac gratefully so I could change and shower to warm up. And that was mid April.
Margaret

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Put it this way Nev- first day on the Aubrac Plateau I was thoroughly saturated and cold just from the rain- fell into the gite at Rieutort d'Aubrac gratefully so I could change and shower to warm up. And that was mid April.
Margaret

I'm going to have to go that route Margaret. there's no other direct way from Prague. Thank you so much for this info. I now know I have an extremely tough section to get through. I'll manage it somehow...

Hi Nev

From one Nev to another, I suggest you check out Ann's blog

http://www.winterpilgrim.blogspot.ca

She has done a number of winter long distance pilgrimages including from Le Puy to Santiago which I believe she did from Aachen to Santiago in the winter of 2007/2008

Regards

I just checked her blog jirit- and I see on her Santiago walk she cut across to go south via Orleans, Blois etc on the Loire. I seem to remember reading one post that dealt with a particular stretch of snowy, cold weather, but can't seem to find it.
Margaret

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Nev

From one Nev to another, I suggest you check out Ann's blog

http://www.winterpilgrim.blogspot.ca

She has done a number of winter long distance pilgrimages including from Le Puy to Santiago which I believe she did from Aachen to Santiago in the winter of 2007/2008

Regards

Hi Nev! :) Cool name :)

Thank you very much. I'll take a read now!

I just checked her blog jirit- and I see on her Santiago walk she cut across to go south via Orleans, Blois etc on the Loire. I seem to remember reading one post that dealt with a particular stretch of snowy, cold weather, but can't seem to find it.
Margaret
Hi Margaret

You are correct.

Ann came down through France via the tours route bypassing Le Puy which makes perfect sense since she started her walk in Aachen the birth place and home of Charlemagne.

http://winterpilgrim.blogspot.ca/p/el-camino-to-santiago-de-compostela.html

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Nev.

I plan to go through Nurnburg and then along to Rothenburg, then Rottenburg and out through Freiburg.

And from Freiburg ?

There is a route that goes south from Basel to connect with the Jakobsweg in Switzerland. From there you can continue west to Lausanne to Geneva to Le Puy and so on

Come to think of it more, a more direct route and less expensive route is via Vezelay, which means you would bypass Le Puy

http://jakobswege-nach-burgund.de/Waldshut-Vezelay/

Hi Nev.

Switzerland is out for me because in the summer I had my passport stolen on the Camino and I just didn't get round to renewing it and last week I checked and I need to apply through London because Prague doesn't issue them anymore. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I won't have it in time and will need to stick to the Schengen countries where there are no border checks. Thank you so much for the link to that site. Yes, Vezelay will make more sense because it won't involve such a high altitude.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Nev, you don't need to have a border check in Switzerland. As of about 18 months ago Switzerland is also a schengen state. When I went through Switzerland in May last year though the police were at the check point it was on other business and they were not a scrap interested in me or any one else going through the border crossing. As far as I recall Switzerland joined the Schengen states around Dec 2011. The Vezelay path is lovely (some road walking though) - great little refuges in 2009. The le Puy path has, on the aubrac plateau, the track signs on poles about 10 - 12' high - an indicator no doubt as to the depth of snow that is likely to be found there. Janet

No border issues when I crossed at Konstanz in June 2013. The route through Rothenberg o.d.T would still be preferable for you, given the much lower elevation. The route from Konstanz at least as far as Einsiedeln (Via Jacobi) is quite rugged. In snow the footing could be fatally treacherous.

Hi Nev, you don't need to have a border check in Switzerland. As of about 18 months ago Switzerland is also a schengen state. When I went through Switzerland in May last year though the police were at the check point it was on other business and they were not a scrap interested in me or any one else going through the border crossing. As far as I recall Switzerland joined the Schengen states around Dec 2011. The Vezelay path is lovely (some road walking though) - great little refuges in 2009. The le Puy path has, on the aubrac plateau, the track signs on poles about 10 - 12' high - an indicator no doubt as to the depth of snow that is likely to be found there. Janet
Thank you Janet. This is crucial information for me. I'll stick to the Vezelay path then

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you Janet. That's good to know. Still, I'll take the advice and go through Vezelay. Thanks so much! Nev :)

No border issues when I crossed at Konstanz in June 2013. The route through Rothenberg o.d.T would still be preferable for you, given the much lower elevation. The route from Konstanz at least as far as Einsiedeln (Via Jacobi) is quite rugged. In snow the footing could be fatally treacherous.
Thank you Kitsambler for the info! Nev :)

Hi!

I'm walking from Prague to Finisterre soon and I will probably be close to the Le Puy stage around Jan/Feb. Does anyone have any tips for this time of year? Will it be uber cold (I plan to sleep out in a sleeping bag).

Thank you for any feedback!

The Massif Central will be under deep snow at that time of year. Unless you have Alpine/Arctic gear , you might want to rethink. Good luck! That's a terrific walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Massif Central will be under deep snow at that time of year. Unless you have Alpine/Arctic gear , you might want to rethink. Good luck! That's a terrific walk.
Hi! Yes, I have taken the advice to go instead via Vezelay. Thanks for the input! Nev :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back