• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy Route Mid April to Mid May

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Comments/suggestions welcome...currently waiting for next week's medical assessment to determine when I can return to Camino walking.

Positive Assessment :)

I have airline tickets to return to Geneva September 23rd (insurance company saved $ by booking a return ticket when I had to leave to return to Canada due to a medical problem) and November 15th return from Barcelona (was originally going to finish in Finisterre).

If positive I will return to complete the one day left for the Via Jacobi and then walk from Geneva to St. Jean-Pied-de-Port. Next spring I would complete my walk, likely in early May, on the Camino Frances.

Comments have been made on the Forum about Gites closing in this time period (especially early November). I have attached a PDF file of my current plan...days in green mean I have received confirmation that the lodging will be open...days in yellow I am waiting to hear back. All have indicated that at this time of year a few days notice for reservation should be fine. On the Via Gebennensis hopefully a few less expensive options i.e. Accueil Jacquaire may be possible.

I welcome any suggestions (route, daily stages, lodgings) that you may have based on your experience! Overall the average daily walk is just under 25 kms which seems reasonable to me.

Negative Assessment :(

I have the option to revise the dates for the flights above for $300 Cdn. or so and will need to make a quick decision prior to September 23rd as to my new starting date...i.e. returning to Geneva and restarting in Nyon where I stopped.

Would a mid April start be reasonable from a lodging availability and weather perspective? I expect there won't be much experience on the Via Gebennensis route however your thoughts on an early May start for the Le Puy Route would be most helpful...is this too early?

Appreciate any comments received

Guy

http://www.caminolongwalk.blogspot.ca/

Attachments

• Camino de Santiago Accomodation Oct 2013.pdf
    208.5 KB · Views: 11
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Guy, I did the Le Puy route starting ahead of the mob in early spring. The Aubrac was pretty wild, and I'm told by the people at Montredon that starting earlier than I did could prove difficult. Nonetheless, it was such a great experience I don't hesitate to recommend it. If you start later than I did, there will be lots of French, especially, on the GR65, some hikers, some pilgrims. May is said to be the month that is beautiful everywhere in the world, and the le Puy route was no exception as I walked through Gascony and the Bearn at that time. A caution: I had one hot day on the whole way, and that was in April heading to Lauzerte. There was a bitter cold snap in May 2010 and even late in May the crowds were building in SJPDP waiting for better conditions. That's just one year we're talking about, but I'd be prepared for heat and cold in the spring.

Just remember it's a popular route, both as pilgrim trail and GR, so you might find places like Auvillar booked heavily on weekends. You'll probably find a bed if you just wing it, but I did take a phone and Miam Miam Dodo guide to secure accommodation.

Check out the nomad's blog: http://chemincamino08.blogspot.com/

Bon chemin

Rob

May is a month of holidays in France! All the walking trails are filled with French randonneurs. The gites are filled, so be prepared for the expense of hotels and chambres d'hotes. It rained on 26 of 31 days in May 2013, the wettest May in history. That reduced the number of French pilgrims by the end of the month. Anyway, check the internet for May holidays, so you are prepared for the deluge of people on long weekends.

Here is one:

Fête de la Transhumance en Aubrac
Dimanche 25 mai 2014
Fete-de-la-transhumance-en-Aubrac_focus_events.jpg

Pour la saint Urbain, les troupeaux de bovins montent depuis les vallées environnantes sur le plateau de l'Aubrac et passent tout l'été dans les verts pâturages avant de redescendre en octobre pour la saint Géraud.

Depuis 1993, cette tradition ancestrale de la transhumance est devenue une grande fête populaire vive et colorée qui se déroule le dimanche le plus proche du 25 mai au col de Bonnecombe en Lozère. Le spectacle du passage des troupeaux décorés, est accompagné de nombreuses animations et d'un repas sur l'herbe avec au menu l'incontournable aligot.

Plus d'information :
Aubrac Sud Lozere
Tel : 33 (0)4 66 32 76 81 ou 33 (0)6 79 13 26 29

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Regarding your air tickets, be sure to allow yourself enough time, plus a margin in reserve for an untoward occurence. Three weeks from Geneva to Le Puy, and 5 weeks for Le Puy to SJPP.

Remember that altitudes for your first week of walking will be equal to, or higher than, the Massif Centrale around Le Puy. Shoulder seasons in early spring and late fall are a calculated gamble. Pack for inclement weather!

Bon Chemin!

Hello Guy

From what I understand you want to return to Switzerland this September 23rd to complete your walk from there, until at least Saint Jean Pied de Port and then return to France next Spring (2014) to finish the walk from Saint Jean Pied to Port to Santiago and then I guess Finisterre?

However you have also made the suggestion you might hold off and wait until next April or May to restart the walk from Switzerland to Saint Jean Pied de Port

Walking through France late September and October is probably no worse or better than walking through April and May. I might suggest April could be especially wet and cold at times, and May as others I have indicated crowded with French walkers.

Your PDF accommodation schedule suggests most places will be open until at least the end of October. At the very least you wont be competing for beds at this time of year.

The only drawback is that days will be shorter but given that you plan to walk 25km per day (this is about 6-8 hours of walking), most gites have breakfast ready by 7:30 am and if you leave by 8:00, you will have until 4:00 pm before it gets dark.

Personally (and assuming your eyes and health are okay), I would go with your original plan and head back to Switzerland for September 23rd and finish the next stage of your walk to Saint Jean this year and return next year to finish the walk to Finisterre.

Last edited:
:)

Good to go! Feeling very thankful for my good fortune, excited to return and a little anxious. Thanks to all of you for your very helpful comments. I am hoping by returning next week that I will be able to complete the walk from Nyons Switzerland to St. Jean Pied de Port. No matter how far I get I plan on returning likely in the May timeframe to complete the walk to Finisterre.

Can't wait to add Via Jacobi (2013) as my first Camino even if I had a 38 day rest period in Nyons before the last day!

Have finally gotten around to donating to the Forum to support Ivar's effort...a fantastic resource.

Jirit you mention that the sun sets around 4:00 at this time of the year...the Godesalco.com web site indicates around 17:45 in the first week in November so was just wondering a bit about this...

Thanks

Guy

http://www.caminolongwalk.blogspot.ca/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Guy

My mistake - I was off by a month and off by two hours. I was thinking end of November when the sun goes down close to 5:00 pm.

You are correct the sun sets around 6:00 pm in the evening or about 18:00 hours at the end of october, about the same time the French food shops close for the night. Keep in the mind the time changes back one hour in Europe on Saturday October 26, earlier than here in Canada. It might appear darker earlier however, especially on those cloudy days or if you are walking through a valley.

Have a safe walk and Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone! Well.. one week from today will begin my walk across France and Spain. I see a number of posts regarding a wave of walkers and room accommodation limitations. I am one who is...
Hi. Here's a problem to which I can't find a solution. Any suggestions gratefully received! Last October I walked from Le Puy to Conques, but had to return home due to a family crisis. I'm very...
Hi everyone, I’m currently on the GR 65 going from Le Puy to Conques. I walked this camino in 2014 and now I find myself not recognizing a single bit of literally anything and I’m wondering if...
hallo. We have been using La Malle Postale to transfer our luggage each night from Le Puy en Velay. We have bad backs. They have been a great company and very reliable. Unfortunately we have just...
Hi- I am starting the Via Podiensis Camino at the end of the month. I know people swear by the MMDD guide book for this camino but I am not sure why. So far I have been making use of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back