• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Le Puy

• Thread starter Deleted member 78731
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 78731

I've hiked the Camino Frances twice and plan on the Le Puy route this year, beginning in May. I don't see posts about this route but maybe I'm missing something. Mostly I'm curious about whether or not to concern myself with making reservations along the way. I learned that was unnecessary on the Camino Frances as long as I got to the albergues early in the afternoon, but I'm thinking I'll arrive later in the day on this trip. Tips?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
While there are definitely Pilgrims on the route there are also a lot of French both hiking groups and singular hikers who are following the GR route - same as the Camino, they can take up the spaces. There were times when it was a concern, but we always manage to find an accomodation. As we were never quite sure where we wanted to stop, we never made reservations. It is all part of the experience.

Hi @Laurie E M

Good idea to book ahead in France.
See below

All the threads are grouped. Just look at the menu when you open the forum.
You’ll have lots of resources and most used group is that with routes ending in Santiago de Compostela.
Next is a grouping for other routes in Spain

After that you’ll find routes in France.

You’ve got lots of reading there
Good luck with planning & Bon Chemin
Annie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
While there are definitely Pilgrims on the route there are also a lot of French both hiking groups and singular hikers who are following the GR route - same as the Camino, they can take up the spaces. There were times when it was a concern, but we always manage to find an accomodation. As we were never quite sure where we wanted to stop, we never made reservations. It is all part of the experience.
Many thanks for the tip. I also haven't made plans for stopping along the way, only know what I've done in past Caminos. This route has more ups and downs, I understand, so my pace may change. Appreciate the info, DJL.

Hi @Laurie E M

Good idea to book ahead in France.
See below

All the threads are grouped. Just look at the menu when you open the forum.
You’ll have lots of resources and most used group is that with routes ending in Santiago de Compostela.
Next is a grouping for other routes in Spain

After that you’ll find routes in France.

You’ve got lots of reading there
Good luck with planning & Bon Chemin
Annie
Thanks, Annie. I did the search and found "The Le Puy Route", clicked "search" and read "oops" search title is too short, need more definition or something. Clearly I'm not doing it right . . . thanks for any help you can give.

@Laurie E M
You don’t have to search ....
You are probably still looking at the section for ‘pilgrim introductions’?
You only need to go to the start of the Camino forum.

That is when you visit : caminodesantiago.me
The forum opens up with a huge swag of options.
Keep scrolling down until you find ‘Routes in France ‘
Once you find that , click on it .. and you’ll find all the sub sections for France. The different routes.

Not sure why you can’t see this ?

Annie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Laurie
Regarding booking on the Le Puy route. You will more than likely walk with others and find that it’s best on this route to book ahead. I found it less hectic with most people knowing they had a bed and able to smell the roses as they walked.
You may find that you don’t have any problems without booking but some of the places need to buy supplies in preparation for feeding x numbers of bookings. It seemed more noticeable to book ahead for the weekends.

Annie

If you're not finding what you're looking for on this forum, another great resource for information on the LePuy route is FB Group Way of St. James-Via Podiensis-Chemin-du-Puy-en-Velay.
Yes, the Face Book group is active and engaged on all the topics one might want to ask about the Le Puy. Here is a link. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ViaPodiensis/

If you're not finding what you're looking for on this forum, another great resource for information on the LePuy route is FB Group Way of St. James-Via Podiensis-Chemin-du-Puy-en-Velay.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've hiked the Camino Frances twice and plan on the Le Puy route this year, beginning in May. I don't see posts about this route but maybe I'm missing something. Mostly I'm curious about whether or not to concern myself with making reservations along the way. I learned that was unnecessary on the Camino Frances as long as I got to the albergues early in the afternoon, but I'm thinking I'll arrive later in the day on this trip. Tips?

We found that there are not so many places to stay on the GR65 so it is probably as well to book ahead. It is very popular walk with the French.

Laurie
Regarding booking on the Le Puy route. You will more than likely walk with others and find that it’s best on this route to book ahead. I found it less hectic with most people knowing they had a bed and able to smell the roses as they walked.
You may find that you don’t have any problems without booking but some of the places need to buy supplies in preparation for feeding x numbers of bookings. It seemed more noticeable to book ahead for the weekends.

Annie[/QUOT
Laurie

Annie
Annie, thanks for the tips. And right, I was still stuck on the information section. Looks like it's wise to book ahead, especially on weekends, so that'll be my plan. I'm hiking alone this time so am also expecting and looking forward to a new approach.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

@Laurie E M

Laurie said : Annie, thanks for the tips. And right, I was still stuck on the information section. Looks like it's wise to book ahead, especially on weekends, so that'll be my plan. I'm hiking alone this time so am also expecting and looking forward to a new approach.

Reply:
Laurie,
Glad you sorted the forum menu. Just shows you how many routes and info there is here !!

Believe me, you won’t be alone unless you choose to be so. It’s not as ‘full on’ as the CF, but there is plenty of company walking. How is your French?
I found mine was ok enough, especially for bookings and ordering etc. many people you walk with will let you practise on them and offer help.
On a couple of occasions I was walking with a couple of people fluent in English and French.
The mass in the cathedral in Le Puy is only in French. (On the day I left that is). There were a great stack of us after the mass receiving a pilgrim blessing.
Le Puy was lovely, lots to see. (as was the whole way). Sometimes nice to have something in your pack to stop and enjoy a picnic at lunch time if you can see that places to stop and eat are not going to be too close the following day.
I enjoyed those. You’ll see lots of little groups doing that along the way.
Enjoy. I’d walk it again if I had more years on my side !!

Annie

I walked from Le Puy to Santiago in May of 2015 and only booked one time on the whole route. In 2013 while walking from SJPP to Santiago I never booked ahead and always had a place to stay - both Caminos. I guess I don't like the fact that I have to be someplace within a certain time so I do consider myself lucky on my trips.

@Laurie E M

Laurie said : Annie, thanks for the tips. And right, I was still stuck on the information section. Looks like it's wise to book ahead, especially on weekends, so that'll be my plan. I'm hiking alone this time so am also expecting and looking forward to a new approach.

Reply:
Laurie,
Glad you sorted the forum menu. Just shows you how many routes and info there is here !!

Believe me, you won’t be alone unless you choose to be so. It’s not as ‘full on’ as the CF, but there is plenty of company walking. How is your French?
I found mine was ok enough, especially for bookings and ordering etc. many people you walk with will let you practise on them and offer help.
On a couple of occasions I was walking with a couple of people fluent in English and French.
The mass in the cathedral in Le Puy is only in French. (On the day I left that is). There were a great stack of us after the mass receiving a pilgrim blessing.
Le Puy was lovely, lots to see. (as was the whole way). Sometimes nice to have something in your pack to stop and enjoy a picnic at lunch time if you can see that places to stop and eat are not going to be too close the following day.
I enjoyed those. You’ll see lots of little groups doing that along the way.
Enjoy. I’d walk it again if I had more years on my side !!

Annie
Love this note, many thanks. My French is OK and I'm looking forward to using it. I appreciate your thoughts about the mass in the cathedral in Le Puy, because maybe I should plan on starting the hike mid day, instead of at the break of day, which I'm more used to. On another note, I fly into Paris on the 23rd of May then plan to take a set of trains to Le Puy on the 24th or 25th. Any tips on the trains or in making a reservation in Le Puy for the first night? And, I've got plenty of years on my side as well, am crossing fingers that they won't betray me!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi
In Le Puy , stayed in SĂ©minaire st Georges le Puy.
Google it and you can see street view etc. huge. Right beside the cathedral.

Note: you still get away from Le Puy early in the day even if you attend the mass. It’s an early mass!
Walking out , down the hill, there are great markets at bottom where you can buy some yummy snacks to take with you.

I had been on a tour finishing in Berlin ., so I flew in to Lyon. Not sure about train from Paris.
Do a prelimary search for ways to anywhere on a site - google this and save - I use it a lot. Rome2rio

Managed to get a ticket on the train from airport in Lyon to town (with assistance from others ). Machines !!
Stayed at a Hostal there which was in walking distance of the train station. (Can’t recall the name )..
Next day a train to Le Puy. No one even checked for our tickets. Beautiful trip.
Stayed 2 nights in Le Puy. Plenty to look at.

Regarding reserving accommodation for Le Puy.
Google search for - Seminaire st Georges Le Puy.

Also for other accommodation- there are stacks of guides to choose from and we saw communal gites as we wandered around the town.
A site you can check which shows a lot of info +accom is the Gronze site. They cover lots of routes.
This is the link to gronze Le Puy. I hope this link works.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-santiago-le-puy

Otherwise just type www.gronze.com
And select the route.

Good luck. -

Hi
In Le Puy , stayed in SĂ©minaire st Georges le Puy.
Google it and you can see street view etc. huge. Right beside the cathedral.

Note: you still get away from Le Puy early in the day even if you attend the mass. It’s an early mass!
Walking out , down the hill, there are great markets at bottom where you can buy some yummy snacks to take with you.

I had been on a tour finishing in Berlin ., so I flew in to Lyon. Not sure about train from Paris.
Do a prelimary search for ways to anywhere on a site - google this and save - I use it a lot. Rome2rio

Managed to get a ticket on the train from airport in Lyon to town (with assistance from others ). Machines !!
Stayed at a Hostal there which was in walking distance of the train station. (Can’t recall the name )..
Next day a train to Le Puy. No one even checked for our tickets. Beautiful trip.
Stayed 2 nights in Le Puy. Plenty to look at.

Regarding reserving accommodation for Le Puy.
Google search for - Seminaire st Georges Le Puy.

Also for other accommodation- there are stacks of guides to choose from and we saw communal gites as we wandered around the town.
A site you can check which shows a lot of info +accom is the Gronze site. They cover lots of routes.
This is the link to gronze Le Puy. I hope this link works.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-santiago-le-puy

Otherwise just type www.gronze.com
And select the route.

Good luck. -
Annie, this is super helpful! I wasn't aware of the gronze site - wow, what a great organizer! And your Le Puy tips are great, too. Think I'll be back in touch . . . thanks again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked from Le Puy to Santiago in May of 2015 and only booked one time on the whole route. In 2013 while walking from SJPP to Santiago I never booked ahead and always had a place to stay - both Caminos. I guess I don't like the fact that I have to be someplace within a certain time so I do consider myself lucky on my trips.
I appreciate the perspective. Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back