• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leave No Trace Outdoor Ethics for Camino de Santiago

arturo garcia

Pilgrim/Hospitalero/Mountain guide/Photographer
Time of past OR future Camino
French way (Dic. 2012), Portuguese way (Dic.2013) and now living on the Camino.
Between 2004 and 2005 I attended two wonderful courses with National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) in Wyoming and California. Part of that training was the Leave No Trace Outdoor Ethics master course, which we apply for many years leading expeditions in the Amazon. This time I would like to share the Leave No Trace Ethics for pilgrims doing the "Camino de Santiago". Because I´m a pilgrim too and we manage a private albergue in the camino.

check the info at: https://lnt.org/research-resources/leave-no-trace-outdoor-ethics-for-camino-de-santiago/

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Between 2004 and 2005 I attended two wonderful courses with National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) in Wyoming and California. Part of that training was the Leave No Trace Outdoor Ethics master course, which we apply for many years leading expeditions in the Amazon. This time I would like to share the Leave No Trace Ethics for pilgrims doing the "Camino de Santiago". Because I´m a pilgrim too and we manage a private albergue in the camino.

check the info at: https://lnt.org/research-resources/leave-no-trace-outdoor-ethics-for-camino-de-santiago/
This document was aired in an earlier post, here, in early 2022. I didn't think then that it was a reasonable guide to the ethical application of the LNT principles to the Camino or any other pilgrimage, and while it might have become one if the LNT organisation were not so hidebound and inflexible, clearly that situation hasn't changed.

I don't intend to repeat my criticism of the document here. Those who are interested can read my comments in the thread I have linked above.

Thank you for this, Arturo. You live on the Camino - it has been your home for many years I understand - so you see first hand, and would understand better than most, some of the negative impacts of our combined presence along these wonderful paths.

I appreciated reading the recommendations. I hadn't seen the earlier thread so it was first time reading this document. I don't know anything about LNT but the document contained some worthwhile reminders and information on things I hadn't thought about. Some may disagree with particular principles or recommendations or take issue with the organisation under whose banner the doc was published, but people are not obliged to adhere to any of this - they can judge what - if anything - is appropriate and relevant for them. But I think this is a positive contribution to the forum that many people will appreciate. This was the case for the majority of commenters when the document was posted by @Faith Walker in the earlier thread from 2022. Muchas gracias.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for this, Arturo. You live on the Camino - it has been your home for many years I understand - so you see first hand, and would understand better than most, some of the negative impacts of our combined presence along these wonderful paths.

I appreciated reading the recommendations. I hadn't seen the earlier thread so it was first time reading this document. I don't know anything about LNT but the document contained some worthwhile reminders and information on things I hadn't thought about. Some may disagree with particular principles or recommendations or take issue with the organisation under whose banner the doc was published, but people are not obliged to adhere to any of this - they can judge what is appropriate and relevant for them. But I think this is a positive contribution to the forum that many people will appreciate. This was the case for the majority of commenters when the document was posted by @Faith Walker in the earlier thread from 2022. Muchas gracias.
Take what you need , leave what you don´t from this recommendations. But the camino or the wilderness will always be thankful with you. Buen camino

Take what you need , leave what you don´t from this recommendations. But the camino or the wilderness will always be thankful with you. Buen camino
Those who come from nations where there has been strong anti-littering and Leave No Trace outdoor programs for decades are not the target, though. It seems this is more of an issue for pilgrims where such strong messaging in nations, and even legal and ethical enforcement, has been missing.

That is not to say that pilgrims who come from countries that lack such programs always litter, or that those from nations which have strong LNT and anti-littering messaging never do. It means that broad brush assumptions of a need for LNT education for pilgrims is a bit misplaced. My guess is that this is more of an issue with individual scofflaws who are lazy and self-centered, rather than the pilgrim population in general.

Heck, we do not even know how much of this issue is caused by locals within an area vs pilgrims passing through.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

All sounds pretty reasonable to me. I would support more strict waste management such as packing out all feces. It is very doable. My other pet peeve is putting packs on beds and lying down on beds is dirty hiking clothes. We can do better.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back