Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Oviedo

peregrina09

The Asociación Astur-Leonesa de Amigos del Camino de Santiago offers information and help to pilgrims passing through Oviedo.

I found the friends in this office to be most gracious. Their publications are only available in Spanish – but I assume that language doesn’t matter so much for pictorial maps. Also, the tourist info center had a map of the Camino leaving Oviedo, in English.

Their location in Oviedo:
http://www.caminosantiagoastur.com/?Donde_estamos

The Asociación Astur-Leonesa website also offers maps and profiles of each stage online:
http://www.caminosantiagoastur.com/?Las ... _Primitivo

For pilgrims starting soon who would like to follow the route from the Cathedral out of Oviedo – I will describe the way from the area I first had difficulty - where the Calle de la Independencia meets the Plaza de la Liberación. I worked out this clarification with the kind assistance of the Asociación Astur-Leonesa.

"The Calle de Independencia bears L and is joined by much traffic from the R and shortly reaches the roundabout in the Plaza de la Liberación" (pg. 14 of CSJ guide 4:F, Walker)

...After reaching the far corner of Calle de Asturias, cross to the other side of Calle de la Independencia towards the yellow, white and grey checkered buildings. Make a left turn. Going forward you will come to a slight incline that swings up to the right. The walkway is flanked on the left side by a low railing. Cross the street. You are then facing a pedestrian Plaza with a sculpture and a fountain in front and orange, white and grey checkered buildings on the right.

Two choices:

Walk straight ahead between the sculpture and fountain - through the pedestrian Plaza. At the end of the Plaza you will see a public pay restroom kiosk on the right and benches. Go to the stoplight of the roundabout towards the left and cross Calle del Teniente Coronel Teijeiro L. At the corner, turn R. and cross Av de Colón, walking forward a little to the right to reach Calle de la Argañosa. Cross to the right side of Calle de la Argañosa and continue forward.

OR

From the front of the Plaza go left to the corner to Calle del Teniente Coronel Teijeiro. Make a right on Calle del Teniente Coronel Teijeiro and walk until you reach the second roundabout. Cross Calle del Teniente Coronel Teijeiro L. At the corner, turn R. and cross Av de Colón, walking forward a little to the right to reach Calle de la Argañosa. Cross to the right side of Calle de la Argañosa and continue forward.

Walking on right side the Calle de la Argañosa, you will pass (seen on the left side): Calle de la Silla del Rey, Calle de Pió XII, the intersection of Calle de Alejandro Casona - Calle de Facetos, Calle de la Fraternidad and Calle Francisco Bances Candamo. The road swings to the left past Calle de Bernardo Casielles.

After a short distance, you will see the Libreria Papeleria Tabacos shop on the left side of the street. After reaching the Parroquia San Antonio de Padua on the right side, swing R. to reach the train station of La Argañosa/Lavapiés.

Attached is the map from the Asociación Astur-Leonesa de Amigos del Camino de Santiago.

Buen Camino!

Mundicamino provides an English language option for viewing maps and stages:
http://www.mundicamino.com/

Attachments

• OviedoMap1.jpg
    OviedoMap1.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 2,823
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.