• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Light tent vs Bivy bag

AntoDiPla

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024
Hi everyone!

I will walk the Camino for the first time next August.
I will leave from my city in Italy, near Bologna, and hope to make it to Santiago in about 3 months (maybe splitting the trip in two because of other commitments I will have between August and October).
I will follow part of the Francigena to Liguria, from there to Arles and then the Toulousan until I get to SJPdP.
For the part up to the Pyrenees (from there on, given the large number of hostels, I may consider sending something home) I think I will be forced to camp the majority of the nights since I will try to travel economically and of hostels, I understand, there are not many. Also, camping would allow me greater freedom. Of course, I will do this in a respectful manner, asking locals where I can set up camp.

My question is: better a lightent or a bivy bag? And, based on the answer, do you have any models to recommend? All this considering that I would be going during a relatively warm period and would like to save on both backpack weight and expense.

I thank you in advance!
Antonio

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For that time and distance I'd use a lightweight tent. I use bivvy bags for an occasional night when I expect the weather to be good but it would be very depressing if the weather turned nasty for a few days at a time. Also more acceptable in an official campsite.

I have a couple of lightweight tents. When I want to be less visible when wild camping then I usually use a single-skin Jamet Shelter tent. Essentially a larger version of a hooped bivvy bag. More than enough space for me and my pack. Not the best build quality but fine after I gave it a decent coat with waterproofer. When I am going to be using official campsites then I prefer a Chinese made trekking pole tent - a 3F UL Lanshan 1. About 750g. Much better build quality and ventilation and more headroom. Both are fairly low cost tents.

For that time and distance I'd use a lightweight tent. I use bivvy bags for an occasional night when I expect the weather to be good but it would be very depressing if the weather turned nasty for a few days at a time. Also more acceptable in an official campsite.

I have a couple of lightweight tents. When I want to be less visible when wild camping then I usually use a single-skin Jamet Shelter tent. Essentially a larger version of a hooped bivvy bag. More than enough space for me and my pack. Not the best build quality but fine after I gave it a decent coat with waterproofer. When I am going to be using official campsites then I prefer a Chinese made trekking pole tent - a 3F UL Lanshan 1. About 750g. Much better build quality and ventilation and more headroom. Both are fairly low cost tents.
First of all thank you so much for the suggestions!

Basically, the amount of nights I will spend in tent will depend on the amount of cheap accomodations I find (I understand that both in Italy and France it is difficult to find any along this route).
Is it in fact feasible for someone to allow you to stay the night indoors (e.g., parishes, etc.)?

A bivy bag seemed more practical to me first of all because of the weight, plus, if it will be really bad weather, I would probably lean toward a hotel, so actually whether it's tent or bivy it's likely I wouldn't use it anyway.

Do you have also any bivy models to recommend? Thank you very much

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My bivvy bag is an Alpkit Hunka XL. There is a slightly smaller version but I find the extra space more comfortable. Simple and well made.
I am not entirely convinced by the fact that it cannot be closed completely (for insects); otherwise it seems perfect to me, both in terms of weight and reliability.

I would like to take advantage of your helpfulness one last time by asking your advice also about the sleeping bag and backpack: do you have a particular model to recommend? How many degrees (sleeping bag) and liters (backpack) should I adjust to?
Also, what about a reliable air mattress?

Again, thank you so much

In August you should not need a very warm sleeping bag. I would probably take my bivvy bag and a fleece sleeping bag liner rather than a full sleeping bag. With a compact self-inflating mat you should be able to fit all the gear you need into a 45 pack. Here in the UK I find Vango branded gear is widely available, reasonably cheap and adequate for my use.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi everyone!

I will leave from my city in Italy, near Bologna, and hope to make it to Santiago in about 3 months (maybe splitting the trip in two because of other commitments I will have between August and October).
I will follow part of the Francigena to Liguria, from there to Arles and then the Toulousan....
Ok...off topic...or slightly...why not look at crossing before SJPdP?? The Camino Argonese is absolutely lovely. You'd cross the Pyrenees at Somport. The infrastructure on the route is great and it's simply one of the nicest routes IMHO. It's actually the original pass over...used before SJPdP (not knocking this pass either aside it has its perks!) Just saying! Buen Camino

PS. I'll be interested in peoples answers as Im beginning to plot and plan the Via Francigena and am wondering about the possible need for a tent or Bivy!!

I'm about to do the VF from Turin. I'm taking a bivvy and tarp. I expect like Spain there is likely to be limited opportunity to camp properly along the VF, so the bivvy seems the best option.

Your backpack makes a suitable wind break, and headroom if you want to fix an insect net over your bivvy. Much can be achieved with hiking poles or a tree and paracord, and various configurations of the tarp.

Mostly I will look for hostels but if needed I will bivvy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone!

I will follow part of the Francigena to Liguria, from there to Arles and then the Toulousan until I get to SJPdP.
For the part up to the Pyrenees (from there on, given the large number of hostels, I may consider sending something home) I think I will be forced to camp the majority of the nights since I will try to travel economically and of hostels, I understand, there are not many. Also, camping would allow me greater freedom. Of course, I will do this in a respectful manner, asking locals where I can set up camp.

My question is: better a lightent or a bivy bag? And, based on the answer, do you have any models to recommend? All this considering that I would be going during a relatively warm period and would like to save on both backpack weight and expense.

I thank you in advance!
Antonio
One issue with bivy bags is condensation, due to the smaller area and less ventilation when compared with a tent. During rainy times that could add some discomfort. At least with a tent you'll have some space to store your gear out of the elements and have less condensation, and ventilation is nice during hot nights. They now make very lightweight tents on the higher end 400.00 and up price tag are tents 16 ounce or a tiny bit over 16 ounce. Midrange tents are about 23 ounce, or a little bit over that. The price ranges from around 200.00 to 500.00. If you're experienced using bivy sacks and have a method for keeping the condensation down, they are less noticeable when pitched.

I leave Wednesday and hope to walk most of the Swiss Jacobsweg (Camino), carrying a Pinon Bivy by Katabatic Gear, combining this with the tarp capacity of my One Wind Poncho. I have done many Caminos and always use the 28L Gregory backpack. Buen Camino, fondly sandi

Ok...off topic...or slightly...why not look at crossing before SJPdP?? The Camino Argonese is absolutely lovely. You'd cross the Pyrenees at Somport. The infrastructure on the route is great and it's simply one of the nicest routes IMHO. It's actually the original pass over...used before SJPdP (not knocking this pass either aside it has its perks!) Just saying! Buen Camino

PS. I'll be interested in peoples answers as Im beginning to plot and plan the Via Francigena and am wondering about the possible need for a tent or Bivy!!
Thanks for the suggestion! To be honest, I'm thinking about that path too. Guess I will figure it out by walking 😂
In August you should not need a very warm sleeping bag. I would probably take my bivvy bag and a fleece sleeping bag liner rather than a full sleeping bag. With a compact self-inflating mat you should be able to fit all the gear you need into a 45 pack. Here in the UK I find Vango branded gear is widely available, reasonably cheap and adequate for my use.
A fleece sheet is not too heavy for that period? Could I not replace it with a pair of leggins and a thermal mesh to save some weight?
I'm about to do the VF from Turin. I'm taking a bivvy and tarp. I expect like Spain there is likely to be limited opportunity to camp properly along the VF, so the bivvy seems the best option.

Your backpack makes a suitable wind break, and headroom if you want to fix an insect net over your bivvy. Much can be achieved with hiking poles or a tree and paracord, and various configurations of the tarp.

Mostly I will look for hostels but if needed I will bivvy.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Can I ask you which bivy and tarp you have?
I agree with Bradypus. If it were summer, I'd take the bivy but for this time of year, a tent sounds better to me.
Thanks Annie!
I would spend the whole august, maybe also part of july, for the first part. I could cross the Pyrenees around mid September/beginning of October.

I don't really mind tent or bivy, but honestly I'm considering the bivy (combined with a fleece liner, as suggested) rather than the tent because it's lighter and possibly cheaper.
If you have any suggestions about it I am grateful
One issue with bivy bags is condensation, due to the smaller area and less ventilation when compared with a tent. During rainy times that could add some discomfort. At least with a tent you'll have some space to store your gear out of the elements and have less condensation, and ventilation is nice during hot nights. They now make very lightweight tents on the higher end 400.00 and up price tag are tents 16 ounce or a tiny bit over 16 ounce. Midrange tents are about 23 ounce, or a little bit over that. The price ranges from around 200.00 to 500.00. If you're experienced using bivy sacks and have a method for keeping the condensation down, they are less noticeable when pitched.
Thank you!
Have some tents to suggest?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi everyone!

I thank you in advance!
Antonio
Most definitely use a light tent, especially if your doing the route you propose to do!!! They are lightweight, they are more comfortable, they keep the bugs out, they keep the little rodents away, you will be at ease sleeping in a tent when it rains (make sure you have a good fly), and you are more likely to use it rather than a bivy sac (and that's important because cheap accommodation is hard to come by on part of the route you intent to use, but there are plenty of wonderful campgrounds, especially in France).

I have several tents including a one person MSR tent and it's met my needs. The inside of the fly is often moist after a night of sleeping but it does keep the rain out. I use a emergency blanket (50 grams) for a ground sheet under the tent. To reduce your weight don't carry tent pegs but use sticks, that are always available, for tent pegs.

This summer I hiked part of the Francigena that you propose to hike and I tented on numerous occasions (always in campgrounds) and I wouldn't have wanted to be without my tent!! I loved the flexibility and independence it gave me.

Good Luck!!

I use a Nordisk Telemark tent, if my route offers conditions where I can pitch it. Which means terrain with some topsoil. Or a trail that has enough campsites. The tent is 3 season and It's held off summer wind and rain.

Snugpak do a very low tent, the Ionosphere. It's okay for trekking. But too small for living space. No sitting in it or cooking.

The thing you can't change is the patch of ground where you Have to stop. If it's less than desirable the bivvy and tarp offers more adaptability.

So for the whole VF, I would probably use a tent in Northern Europe and bivvy in the South. But I will soon see if that is the case. I have only walked the Mozarabes and that was hard to find somewhere for a tent. Unlike the UK where a spot is more likely to come along when you need to stop.

Like Brady I have the Alpkit Hunka bivvy and tarps by DDhammocks and Snugpak.

Hi Anto - sounds like an epic adventure!
By all means take some recommendations from this forum, but I strongly recommend doing some test nights before you decide on the best overnight kit for you. You mentioned being concerned about insects with a tarp - but you get a similar issue with a bivy - you'll get lots of mosquito time in and around your bivy before you get in it, and when you do, if you seal it off to just leave a mesh cover (close to your face) you will find it draws a limited amount of air in and can be very stuffy, hard to breathe and hard to sleep - definitely in August!
I think a lot of bivy/tarp people just decide to live with the surrounding insect life (which is much less in colder months), whereas people who are bothered by it are prepared to carry the extra weight of either a tent with a mesh inner, or a single wall fitted with a mesh door and mesh to the floor.
Did you know - there is now a really good accommodation infrastructure from Arles? Have a look on Gronze . A couple of years ago a friend set out from Arles with a tent in October - but he never used it.

From what people have posted so far, I would suggest maybe getting a cheap well-made tent like the Lanshan 1 that Bradypus mentions. You take it as far as Arles and then decide if you want to keep carrying it, depending on the accommodation you find, whether you have become used to carrying the weight, and how much of your budget you are spending.
I agree with ksam that it's worth looking at the Aragones and Somport route over the Pyrenees (and also the Piedmont route which forks off at Montpelier) if you want more hills and mountains. But if you have never been to SJPdP before then that is also quite a powerful experience...
And finally, for joining the Francigena from Bologna, perhaps you could walk along the https://sentierodeiducati.it/ ???? :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My own "doorstep to Santiago" project is still in its very vague planning stages, so no first hand experience here. But as of now, i am leaning heavily towards the light tent. I had the chance to get a used Tarptent Protrail two years back, and with around 700g for the complete setup it is not much heavier than a sturdy bivy while offering lots more of comfort. There are even lighter options out there, but they get very expensive.

( I carry trekking poles anyways. If you don't then that would add additional weight to the setup)

I used to backpack a lot in Alaska with just a goretex bivy sack. Just fine if not raining. Very difficult to enter or exit without getting wet if raining. An ultra light one person tent is a better option. If you walk the Arles/Aragonés in October I may get to meet you. Buen Camino

Ok, having looked for campsites it seems there are sufficient to warrant taking a tent. But I expect it will mean quite a few differences to the VF, but then it has historically been a trail of variance. Hopefully I will get mapping in Turin. With a mix of monasteries, hostels, camping and bivvying, I should get through.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a few observations to add to this thread:

1. While buying gear can be fun and exciting, it is also expensive. Unless you can reliably predict you will get use of these, not cheap, items beyond this Camino, consider the accommodations you could obtain for possibly less money. Just a thought mind you. Everyone's situation is different.

Personally, I carry a minimum supply of emergency gear, and I am always prepared to spend a night on a church portico if need be. But as a rule, after catching a serious case of bronchitis on my very first Camino, ten years ago, I opted to spend the extra coin to stay in hostals or other inexpensive places.

2. If you are committed to purchasing gear, I recommend choosing reputation and quality over price. Check the reviews. Ask in this forum. The chances are that someone has experience with most any product you are considering. The best solution is not always the most expensive one. Remember, you will be walking from village to village, town to town. You are not on an expedition in the wilderness. Just sayin.'

3. The UK firm Snugpack make a complete line of excellent quality outdoor products. Their primary focus is as a supplier to the UK MOD (Ministry of Defence) for the armed forces. However, they also market most all of their products for the civilian market, simply by changing the colors on offer. The military grade specifications remain the same. I know they also sell in the US. Google the firm in your country to find the local supplier or website.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I am currently on the via Francigena, having started at Lucca. In general campsites are more expensive than hostels and only a few sites on the outskirts of the larger cities.

Along the VF it's possible to wild camp nearby water fountains. But not all offer the right conditions. So a bivvy setup would suffice.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.