• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lis from New Zealand

lissie45

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk CF 2020 - once my partner recovers from cardiac surgery
Hi,

My name is Lis, I'm 56 and from New Zealand. My partner (Paul 65) are hoping to walk the Caminio Frances in 2019. There's a moderator here who is partly responsible for this... @SYates I think she introduced us to the idea years ago, and of course we've since seen the movies. We have been to Spain and Portugal years ago and they are some of our favourite parts of Europe. I once spent 6 weeks walking to and from Everest Base Camp, so I know I like long-distance walking - what I don't like is carrying a heavy pack, so although NZ has some pretty walks, we have a sad lack of towns, cafes, and bars along the way so you have to carry all your gear!

I had always some of the long distance footpaths in the UK would be what we'd do - but Spain has better food and climate (I can say that I have a UK passport LOL) . In no way are we Pilgrims as such - we're both typical kiwis- no religion - though I know how to behave in a church.

Albergue or Hostale?
Which leads to me to my first question. I've travelled and backpacked a LOT - the first time I was in Europe I could only afford the cheapest dorm - and only about every 2nd or 3rd night. Now we're lucky - we have more money - we can afford to pay up to about Euro50, more if necessary. But I also liked the camaraderie you get staying in dorms. But is staying in an Albergue appropriate for an old, relatively rich, atheists? Or should we stay in Hostales and Pensions and leave the cheap beds for those who can't afford anything else? If we do that will we meet others - or will be it be more just walking with each other? I know we can make a choice as we go along (I have no intention of pre-booking much apart from the first night - these old lazy bodies won't want to be constrained as to when they get to stop for the day) but it does make a difference as to whether we bring a sleeping bag or not

When to Walk
Typically we will need to book flights by the end of the year at the latest - so temperatures and, more importantly, rain. We can deal with heat and cold but neither of us like the rain very much. I'm a bit shocked to hear how bad the weather is at the moment as initially I was thinking about leaved St Jean early April. I also want to allow 6 weeks to walk because we will be slow at the start, and between bad knees (both) back (him) and heart issues (him) we ain't hurrying..

I'd also like 10 days or so to be a tourist in Spain at the end so it has more appeal walking in spring into good weather than walking September into bad weather. Would starting May aiming to be SdC by mid June be sensible compromise on weather and crowds ? Major holidays to avoid?

Sellos
I think the sellos are just gorgeous - to be honest they make a better souvenir to me that the certificate at the end. My question is - if we end up staying in non-albergue accommodation will our accommodation still give us a stamp if we've walked? What if we "cheat" and take the bus for parts of some days - I'm guessing then no? From what I've read there's spaces for about 6 stamps and you need to get 2 a day for the last 100km - so it's a bit marginal that they would all fit in one pasporte - can you get another one along the way? I'd love to get a stamp from every place we stay or eat in as a record - but that won't all fit in one.

WIFI and Cellular Data
I know, I know , but I'm not retired (my partner is) - I own a business, I'll be carrying a device and I need to be able to connect every few days. I have an unlocked phone so I expect I can buy a SIM and tether - but how are the data speeds? 3G? Better? Recommended providers that have better coverage on the CF?

Thanks - I'm sure I'll have more questions!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From a fellow kiwi - envious of all the people setting off for Spain. We are heading back in 2019 too.

Albergue or Hostale?
Its entirely a personal choice, determined by budget constraints rather than age I feel, sometimes by the need for privacy or not. A huge variety of people stay in albergues, young old, all sorts. First time we were 57 and 69. Check out Annies Simple Life website. She has an immense amount of information and photographs about the different types of accommodation.
Your choice of accommodation may also depend on whether you met a Camino family. That happened to us on our first Camino and we tended to stay where they did - therefore more albergues than hostals.
Some people feel more comfortable if they book ahead, others are happy to take it as it comes. If you do want to book ahead you will have to use private albergues and hostals. You need to direct your bag to be delivered to the address, and they will need to be open to allow that. Plus you cant book Parochial or Municipals to my knowledge, and they often open later.
We stayed in a mix of accommodation, sometimes we booked ahead sometimes we didn't. Most albergues are pretty good value, however the meals can vary a lot. Some albergues have private rooms as well. The communal meals at the albergues can be great opportunities for meeting and talking with other people if you do book private rooms. But you'll also get the same opportunity at the bars and cafes as well.
We were pretty zen about accommodation, I dont like to commit too far out, more than a couple of days
WIFI and Cellular Data
As far as I'm aware there are two choices if you dont want to depend on WIFI. If your phone is unlocked you can get a Sim card there, my sister did hers in Madrid. Or you can contact Spark or Vodafone or whoever you're with here, and they do data deals on your plan, which also work out well . I'm with Spark, I had good coverage the whole way through with their package.
Sellos
The credencial from SJPDP has more room than the one from the pilgrim office in Santiago so one did a whole Camino for me, there were 8 stamps per page. However the One from the pilgrim office looks a lot nicer and somehow more official, and they are pretty cheap so you could just take two.
When to Walk
I know every year is different, but I went May/June last year and it was, by the end of June, extremely hot. we walked in 40C for the last week. I imagine that I wouldn't be able to cope with July August heat. You are often walking without shade sometimes for hours. The day continues to heat up into the evening, something we're not that used to, so walking early helps to avoid the worst of the heat.
We were informed by albergues that July is very busy with the Spanish citizens walking their Caminos.
Someone more informed can probably give you better information on that.
Mine were May/June and Sept. September is still very hot, by mid- late September it s getting more bearable, and the mornings are deliciously cool.

Happy to chat with you, I can private message my phone number if you want.

Edited to add - if you travel there in July, you wont need a sleeping bag.
I

Last edited:
Thanks @Anamiri - this is helpful. I'm not planning on sending the packs ahead - even with a device I should have my pack down to about 6kg - and Paul will go under that. The big thing for us is to be able to stop when we feel like it ie when the legs refuse to stand up again! I'm OK with hot - lived in outback Oz - so long as it's dry it doesn't really bother me- though I love the idea of attaching an umbrella to your pack which I learnt here - we use umbrellas against the sun in Asia all the time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks @Anamiri - this is helpful. I'm not planning on sending the packs ahead - even with a device I should have my pack down to about 6kg - and Paul will go under that. The big thing for us is to be able to stop when we feel like it ie when the legs refuse to stand up again! I'm OK with hot - lived in outback Oz - so long as it's dry it doesn't really bother me- though I love the idea of attaching an umbrella to your pack which I learnt here - we use umbrellas against the sun in Asia all the time.

You're better with the heat than me. I'm OK in the 30's but when it gets over 40C, I'm looking for shade, and an icy tinto de verana.
Annie has a post about the umbrellas as well. There have also been a few comments on various threads lately, but cant remember which. There is a hands-free option on the site, but I've also heard about just using a normal umbrella and tucking it somehow into the pack straps being the easier option.
It interests me for next time as well.
My husband has dark skin, and so do the grand-kids, but my pale skin fries up quickly. Shade isn't a consideration for them, and every time I have an outdoors adventure with them, I end up burnt. Portable shade would be great.

Yes it really is cooler - we normally go to asia in our winter so we used to buy them for the wet season showers (too hot for a raincoat) - but realised that the locals use them just as much for the sun - and they are right to do - cooler than a hat though I'd use a hat too - I burn easily too!

Buen camino, Lis. Lots of good advice from @Anamiri. I walking loved with an umbrella, useful in sun and rain though not wind.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@lissie45 , kia ora tatou

From which you can take I also am a Kiwi (and also with a UK passport).

I live in Wellington. If that suits you I would be pleased to catch up with you both and chat through your queries. Just click on my icon to start a private message.

Kia kaha

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.