• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino @sharonmonty on the Camino Francés

sharonmonty

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese 2022
I arrived in Santiago yesterday aiming to get the bus today from Lavacolla to Samos. Wanted to post as a live from the Camino but couldn’t work out how to do it!
I walked Valenca to SDC with 2 friends 2 years again and it’s so great to be back. Lots of memories came flooding back on my walk from the airport to Lavacolla which is an easy and mostly pretty route.
Didn’t realise my pension is actually on the Camino! Had dinner last night and breakfast this morning at a pilgrim bar which is a little odd since most people are ending not beginning.
Saw a perfect Camino story played out at breakfast. A young couple came in with a very small child perhaps 2 years old He is carrying their bag and she is carrying the child in a harness. Another woman came in with a small child and her off road type pushchair and they started comparing notes about how they were doing. Ended up agreeing to walk together today and put both children in the pushchair! So lovely!

Attachments

• IMG_9314.jpeg
    IMG_9314.jpeg
    990 KB · Views: 1,611
  • IMG_9311.jpeg
    IMG_9311.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I got the bus from Lavacolla this morning having made sure I was on the right side of the road to get to Samos and not Santiago! At the by stop I met 3 other peregrinas one from Holland and 2 from London ( although they were in fact from Spain and Costa Rica!). A lovely way to start the day.
I’m now in Samos and it is so beautiful. I’m here thanks to recommendations from this forum and I’m glad I took them.
Going to tour the monastery at 4.30.

Attachments

• IMG_9327.jpeg
    IMG_9327.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9332.jpeg
    IMG_9332.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9334.jpeg
    IMG_9334.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Whilst in Samos I met a few pilgrims who had started in SJDPP who all said it had rained almost every day and they had trouble finding beds.
Yesterday morning I left about 8 to find a heavy drizzle that soon turned to rain and I needed my poncho.
I wanted to take the turn to avoid the road to Sarria which I found without too much difficulty but it’s not signposted at all. Without Wise Pilgrim map I would have missed it. A short while later I took a small left hand path that the map said was the Way. It was wet and the grass was long and I saw no one else. As I emerged I saw pilgrims walking across clearly coming from the road I had left! It was a welcome sight. After that there were plenty of arrows!
I walked through Sarria having met again one of the pilgrims from breakfast. I had a booking at Vilei at Casa Barbedelo again as recommended by this Forum. Why wouldn’t you stay there! It was lovely and the food excellent.
I left about 7.30 this morning and walked through spectacular scenery to Portomarin. Wonderful views across the bridge.

Attachments

• IMG_9423.jpeg
    IMG_9423.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9434.jpeg
    IMG_9434.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9438.jpeg
    IMG_9438.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9456.jpeg
    IMG_9456.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9469.jpeg
    IMG_9469.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I left Portomarin yesterday morning with vague thoughts about going to Vilar de Donas but conscious I had a long day already. This was the long walk I had worried about a bit.
I took the short detour to Castro major which was well worth it.
I left at 7 but found the early part of the walk a bit of a struggle without being sure why. It was the first properly warm day.
I stopped for a break around Ligonde and bumped into a couple I had been speaking to while walking that day. They said they were definitely going to Vilar de Domas. That inspired me as I walked in and I took the turning without hesitation even though there was no one else obviously taking it. The walk up was lovely and peaceful. I met a man walking away who said it was closed but he had been to see the outside. I met the couple and we had a look around this amazing ancient structure. Unfortunately couldn’t get in as it wasn’t open as advertised. But still worth the trip.
Made my day so many thanks to my fellow pilgrims for encouraging and inspiring me.

Attachments

• IMG_9527.jpeg
    IMG_9527.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9528.jpeg
    IMG_9528.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9564.jpeg
    IMG_9564.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9568.jpeg
    IMG_9568.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9571.jpeg
    IMG_9571.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9566.jpeg
    IMG_9566.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
I left Portomarin yesterday morning with vague thoughts about going to Vilar de Donas but conscious I had a long day already. This was the long walk I had worried about a bit.
I took the short detour to Castro major which was well worth it.
I left at 7 but found the early part of the walk a bit of a struggle without being sure why. It was the first properly warm day.
I stopped for a break around Ligonde and bumped into a couple I had been speaking to while walking that day. They said they were definitely going to Vilar de Domas. That inspired me as I walked in and I took the turning without hesitation even though there was no one else obviously taking it. The walk up was lovely and peaceful. I met a man walking away who said it was closed but he had been to see the outside. I met the couple and we had a look around this amazing ancient structure. Unfortunately couldn’t get in as it wasn’t open as advertised. But still worth the trip.
Made my day so many thanks to my fellow pilgrims for encouraging and inspiring me.
Good for you! Great detours in this stretch. You may want to consider a cab to Pembre Castle for tonight or tomorrow arfternoon.

I just visited Vilar De Donas in early April this year. I looked at tons of websites to try and ascertain when it was open and I got numerous results. It was even more confusing than normal for Spain. In the end, I found out that the church is always closed. You have to communicate with the gentleman who has the key. He will open the church for you and show you around. His name is Don Jesus, he is about 96 years old. His phone number is +34 669 54 40 09. I believe this is the only way to see the church.
My wife and I really wanted to see the church. Due to lack of consistent information regarding the opening hours we wound up staying at Casa Rectoral de Lestedo. They can arrange a visit for you. It is a really nice casa rural, but expensive.
In retrospect we could have just called Don Jesus on our own. Note: he does not speak English.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just visited Vilar De Donas in early April this year. I looked at tons of websites to try and ascertain when it was open and I got numerous results. It was even more confusing than normal for Spain. In the end, I found out that the church is always closed. You have to communicate with the gentleman who has the key. He will open the church for you and show you around. His name is Don Jesus, he is about 96 years old. His phone number is +34 669 54 40 09. I believe this is the only way to see the church.
My wife and I really wanted to see the church. Due to lack of consistent information regarding the opening hours we wound up staying at Casa Rectoral de Lestedo. They can arrange a visit for you. It is a really nice casa rural, but expensive.
In retrospect we could have just called Don Jesus on our own. Note: he does not speak

In retrospect we could have just called Don Jesus on our own. Note: he does not speak English.
I hope you enjoyed your visit inside the church. I would have been even happier if I had seen the interior!

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...
Big stupid question: what if, in the middle of a stage, I realize I can't really walk anymore? For whatever reason, fatigue, pain, etc. How others have treated this? Are there buses usually...
Hi everyone: I'm hoping to hike the Camino Frances in July/Aug. I would love to, ahead of time, order and ship ahead a pair of my favorite hiking shoes (Hokas) so that, roughly halfway through...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back