• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Logistics of taking a bike from Barcelona to Bilbao/Irun

Danny Fernandez

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino virgin
Hello all!

I'm embarking on my first Camino (Del Norte) in Aug this year, and will by cycling and camping along the way. I have given myself approx 2 weeks to get from ideally Irun (or Bilbao if it proves too difficult to get to Irun) to Santiago.

As I live in Barcelona (and have a touring bike) I intend to bring my bike with me. However, I'm finding it a bit of a logistical problem getting there. Trains allow bikes on board but they need to be boxed. As I am travelling alone, even the logistics of getting a boxed bike + bags/camping equipment to the train station is going to be tough.

If there is a way of bringing a bike without a box, I could happily cycle to the train and jump on board without the need / hassle / struggle of packing everything (and moving around the city with a boxed bike + bags).

Has anyone travelled within Spain with their bikes, and if so, how did you do it?

An option I am looking into is getting the bike shipped from BCN to Irun a few days before, and then I can collect my bike when I arrive.

Also, I will need to do the reverse process when returning from Santiago to Barcelona. Do you know if it's easy to either travel with a bike (bus/train) or send a bike from Santiago?

And finally, do you think 14 days is enough time to get from Irun - Santiago. I'm new to cycle touring but am fairly bike fit (have been regularly cycling for the past 5 years).

Any help would be great.

Many thanks,

Danny

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Danny Fernandez! Welcome to the fĂłrum!

If there is a way of bringing a bike without a box

You may go with a bike without a box on Regional, Regional Express and MD trains (as well as, sometimes, on CercanĂ­as). The number of bikes is limited but by booking in advance you shouldn't have problems. However, it will take more time than a direct train, it can be more expensive than taking a direct train if you book it in advance, you would need to make the route on stages and due to schedules you may need to make an overnight stop along it. The route would be: Barcelona-Zaragoza; Zaragoza-Alsasu(a) (pueblo); Alsasu(a) (EstaciĂłn)-IrĂşn. Being with a bike, you can bike from Alsasu(a) Pueblo train station to Alsasu(a) EstaciĂłn train station but if you don't want the hassle, you can make: Zaragoza-Araia and Araia-IrĂşn.

Hello all!

And finally, do you think 14 days is enough time to get from Irun - Santiago. I'm new to cycle touring but am fairly bike fit (have been regularly cycling for the past 5 years).

Any help would be great.

Many thanks,

Danny

Danny, It looks like others have given you input on the logistics of getting to your starting point. It is your 2nd question that I want to address. I biked from Pamplona to Santiago last September, and we gave ourselves 3 weeks. We had zero days in Burgos and Leon, so actually only rode for 19 of the 21 days. That pace worked for us, as we averaged about 30 miles (<50 km) per day. If you are a very strong cyclist, your 2 week goal might be doable. Personally, that would be a bit too aggressive for my taste and abilities. Besides the physical challenge of that timeline, it seems that it may not allow time to enjoy the pilgrimage. I understand that everyone embarks on the Camino for very different and personal purposes; but there is much to be said for taking time to smell the roses and live in the journey rather than the destination.
Buen Camino

Thank you all for your input. I think the best / simplest way for me will be sending my bike via the Correo service. I live close to a Correo office in BCN and they can box it there etc.

AdaR - thank you for your input. I would certainly love a little longer - my 14 days is flexible (give or take a couple of days). I agree - I certainly love to travel at a slower pace. Perhaps I'll start from Bilbao (making the journey slightly shorter) and it means that I will be able to begin as soon as I arrive in Bilbao (as opposed to getting to Irun).

Thanks again everyone for your input - you are a very helpful bunch!

Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back